1997 Ford F-350 4x4 Cummins Project
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1997 Ford F-350 4x4 Cummins Project

New Registered User
    Thanks

Wink 1997 Ford F-350 4x4 Cummins Project

Hello,

I am new to Diesel's and more specifically, Cummins. I have a few old trucks, but after my '83 "Farm Truck" kicked the bucket I was ready to get a new one.

I ended up getting a 1997 F-350 4x4, it has the Ford Gas 460 and an Automatic Transmission. When I first bought it I was very happy, but now with a huge 4500 pound 21' Boat and 3900 Pound Lance Camper... It is a bit power hungry.... Ok A LOT!!!

I am ready to make the jump to a Cummins Diesel and also a 5 or 6 Speed manual transmission. What is the best way to do this?!

I have looked a bit, but I am not sure if I should go with a 12v, or step up to the 24v. Also what Manual Trans will bolt up to the cummins with no adapter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Zack

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

i like the mechanically-injected 12v because there is no computers at the engine... about manual transmissions: check the zf s5-420 or the eaton fs2305c (both were offered in brazilian f550 factory-fitted with the 4bt, so they would easily bolt up to the 6bt if you not find a dodge donor truck already fitted with a manual transmission)
    http://formspring.me/kamikazeondrugz

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

Thanks

The ZF will require a custom adapter if you get a diesel version or the the gas 460 version, the small block version should be able to use the adapter from a manual backed 4BT in step vans with Ford chassis.

New Registered User
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I am thinking on just getting a mid '90 Dodge, with the 12v and hopefully a manual transmission. There are a few on eBay for like $1,500 to $3,000, so then I have pretty much everything. I can then after buy upgrade Turbo's and Injectors. Also I think this project will be on the "Back Burner" till i get my 1972 converted.

+ Reply to Thread