Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

SAE #2 and Sae #3 cummins flywheel housings with p/n and stater location catalog?

14K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  1964w200Crewcab 
#1 ·
Does anybody know how to id a cummins flywheel housing with the factory cast cpl and six digit part number that is cast on the flywheel itself, i keep having problems with not being able to get the housings decoded that i have found online as usually they just have either a listing that says flywheel housing sae #2 or # 3 with no picture to see what type of starter location it has and what type of mount it has, when one is doing these swap a lot of the cummins flywheel housings are sae 2 or 3 but wont work due to the starter or type of mount require to bolt the thing up, looks like the allisons sae#3 are a example. I am swaping a 5.9 into a Oliver 1750 where a 310 Walkasha was, i need a Sae #3 cummins flywheel housing that used the side mount to sit on top of the frame tub of the tractor. The larger Sae#2 easy to score Freighliner and Ford Flywheel hosuings wont fit inisde the tub of the tractor.. So now I am looking at Tractor Junkyards for White tractors that came from the factory with the 5.9 or 3.9 cummins with a Sa#3 bell with the correct ear mounts, if i could just get the part number crossed over or ided correctly would help on google search for ebay and web truck parts sources, the problem now is the White tractors that came with the 3.9 or 5.9 cummins have White part numbers that are not crossable to cummins at this time by me. I am betting if i can find either a new White tractor bellhousing and try to get the guy to get the cast cummins flywheel housing part number or cpl off of it to id whats out there for sale and such. Is there any paper flywheel housing cummins book out there?? Is there anyway to look up a cumins flywheel housing part number on the cummins site and it id as to what it is and what it fits??? I got the same question for the cummins flywheels as well, how can one look up the p/n and see it is sae 2 or 3?? Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
you need the sae bell that only came in 1850 perkins diesels or the later whites with the cummins, the flywheel is unique to the white cummins tractors. the sae #3 flywheel housing has to have the high starter mount and there is drive flange the bolts to the back of the flywheel to turn the pto shaft. maibach agco in ohio sells a kit for 6bt installation into olivers, also has 14" clutch scalloped pressure plate to squeeze into the #3 housing, similiar to the 13" sachs in the early dodge pickups.

#3 ·
Malbach is backorder 60 to 90 days, but I am very interested in the clutch for the sae #3 flywheel housing, there is a Sae #3 flywheel housing for sale in the claissifeds with a flywheel but its one of those steped flywheels and i can not tell clutch would work with it, i bought and have coming a sae bell from the 1850 perkins, ordered a flywheel sae #3 housing as as well from another source. But what clutch is used in the oliver or the whites with the 5.9 or 3.9, i am guessing its this 14 scallped clutch you have mentioned. The rub on this converion is the flywheel is hard to find as nobody has the cummins casing number to id it so far, there backordeed from cummins and the flywheel is over $1000 plus shipping so it s a swap killer. I am going to do this one to get it under my belt but i am going to try to see if there is some way to use that larger Sae2 flywheelhosuing that selling for $250 new from china on ebay along with the matching 14 inch clone cummins flywheel at $195.. Wish they would make the sae #3 in china so could avoid the factory too high flywheel and clutch. I am betting when i get the parts the scallped clutch is the one i have to buy from Agro or Malback, but who knows, might be able to cross refference it with a white tractor application and buy from from San Antiono Brake and Clutch down here, they said they can do it if i find part number and bring in flywheel and flwheel housing i am usiing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.