Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Cummins QSB 4.5L into YJ Wrangler

125K views 195 replies 41 participants last post by  Ben07 
#1 · (Edited)
The motor is finally bolted between the framerails !!! :beer: ** ignore the cameras " date " stamp, this was Sept. 2010 ***

clearance under the hood !!!!

clearance for the A/C COMPRESSOR !!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Making major progress everyday !!!

I only have a few more things to wrap up to be able to start and drive this Bad Azz machine !!!

Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses

Mounted the Dodge Cummins throttle control and Stainless Steel Brakes Corp vacuum pump

Installed the Jeep's oil pressure and water temperature sensors to work the stock guages !!

Also, found a place to install the Air to Water Intercooler's Radiator and Fan assembly !!

#4 ·
Thanks ,

Someone on this board mentioned ( after I purchased the engine ) " that this engine was bigger than a 4bt , that engine would NEVER fit within the engine bay of a JEEP " !! I am just one of those people who is determined that if I am told " you can't " ; that I must find a way !! And , I added Air Conditioning and Power Steering to this motor !!

NOW , To that forum members credit , the QSB 4.5L is longer by 2 inches than the 4bt !!! Which did make me change from an front mount Air to Air Intercooler to an Air to Water Intercooler, but there are more than space benefits to the Air to Water Intercooler , so I did not mind !!! I also got to keep my A/C by making the change as well !!!

#6 · (Edited)
I have not completed that part of the install !! When I purchased the kit, they did not mention any " additives " !! Are you referring to Ethylene Glycol for the coolant fluid ??? If not, what do you recommend ???

The other benefits of Air to Water Intercooler are :::: very low pressure drop thru the intercooler !! and when on the trail moving slowly very little air would be moving thru the air to air intercooler; and the air to water intercooler could do a better job of cooling the charge in this instance !! This was a selling point which in theory makes sense !!

And BTW, I will be installing the Air to Water's Intercooler above the valve cover !!

#9 ·
I have not completed that part of the install !! When I purchased the kit, they did not mention any " additives " !! Are you referring to Ethylene Glycol for the coolant fluid ???
i was referring exactly about those ethylene-glycol coolant fluids...

#10 · (Edited)
Cripple Rooster ......

I will prolly take your advice ( unless , somebody can show evidence that it would ruin something ) but , I doubt that !!!

Oh, and me and a buddy made a power steering bracket on his manual mill !! I will edit this post tomorrow and add a pic of just the bracket we made on the mill !!

We designed it on a slight angle so the reservoir would not interfere with the closed hood !!!

Sorry, I forgot to edit and post the bracket we milled !!

#11 ·
Cripple Rooster ......

I will prolly take your advice ( unless , somebody can show evidence that it would ruin something ) but , I doubt that !!!
i was not exactly giving you an advice, i'm maybe even more curious than you to see the results of the ethylene glycol blend in the water... as it rises up the water vaporizing temperature about 30% and gets the freezing temperature lower maybe this can improve the air cooling during the summer and protect the intercooler from damages that can occur due to the expansion of frozen water...

#12 · (Edited)
@ cripple rooster ::::::

OK, I thought you had some inside info you were advising on !! LOL No problem; I will call the Air to Water Intercooler people tomorrow and see what they say about that subject !!

BTW , The Intercooler piping and silicone hoses will be here tomorrow so , I will start on that and get a drive pulley belt ordered to be here before the weekend !! Come hell or high water, I will be ready and hear this monster running by the weekend !! I will take some video and add it to flickr acct soon after !!!

I mentioned, I have a Rough Country 2.5" lift; and that it had sagged even before I installed the engine !! My QSB 4.5L has had its weight on the springs for 1 week now and the springs have settled another 1 1/2" !! Well, after careful consideration and NOT wanting to waste money and do shit twice, I ordered a Rubicon Express Extreme Duty 4" lift that will arrive on 10-11-10 !! I had already installed a cable operated twin stick Dana 300 and I have not ordered the Tom Woods driveshafts yet, so the extra lift will not cause me any headaches !! I was gonna run the 2.5 inch lift with Gen-Right's high clearance fender kit; but, I need my inner fenders to mount all this extra stuff !! My son has a 4bt wrangler with this lift and he has no problem with the springs supporting the weight, he is running 33's with no problems and I want 35's and since I have done extensive trimming I should be OK !!!

#13 ·
OK, I thought you had some inside info you were advising on !! LOL No problem; I will call the Air to Water Intercooler people tomorrow and see what they say about that subject !!
air-to-air intercoolers are easier to find where i live, so i don't know too much about air-to-water ones...

#18 · (Edited)
This is the QSB 4.5L !! It ranges from 110 HP and 360 TQ up to 170 HP and 460 TQ !! I have spoken to an engineer at Cummins and they have one in R & D that is putting out 300 HP by changing the turbo and the computers parameters !!

This engine is used in narrow vein mining Dump Trucks capable of 12 tons of payload and things like that which makes it " automotive style " throttle not just " industrial " !!!

http://www.duxmachinery.com/dts-12.pdf

#16 ·
I thought the Air to Water ICs used the engine's coolant. That way you don't have to come up with a separate circulating system and radiator dedicated to the A to W IC. On the downside you would only be able to cool it down to the engine coolant's temp (mid-upper 100s) at best. Any idea what the intake air temp is on a non IC'd engine between the turbo and intake?

#19 · (Edited)
@ twisted 71 ::::: Cripple Rooster is correct !! I have a totally seperate liquid system for the IC ( radiator, cooling fan, and pump ) !!

Yesterday, I figured out to reuse the original belt tensioner and purchased a smooth pulley and removed the 8 rib pulley and made a new notch in the bracket to set the tensioner to push at the correct angle !!

#21 · (Edited)
the link in post # 18 is what the engine is intended to power !! http://www.duxmachinery.com/dts-12.pdf

I got everything together so I could start the motor last nite, but the power gods had something else in mind !!!! The build date of the motor is 12-5-2005 and I did not purchase til March of 2010 !! March is when I registered the IN SERVICE date for warranty purposes ( Yes , the motor is covered under a 2,000 hour warranty !)

Got some " unnerving " news today !! Seems that since no one owned the engine immediately after assembly, Cummins starts the " in-service " date 30 days after the engine's date of build; and there is a 2 year or 2000 hour warranty from that date !! So, even though I am the first registered owner and it has done nothing but sit on a shelf in a pallet; I have NO warranty !!

After alot of phone calls to Cummins and my local distributor; it seems that the fuel " log " must have a crack in it !! Can't imagine what that is gonna cost me to replace !! I must admit for as high as I was floating to finally be ready to start the engine; this has been a quick way back down to earth !!

******* EDIT **************

Removed everything to inspect it, and found NO visible cracks anywhere !! While doing this I was racking my brain........... since Macet told me that every engine gets test run before they leave the assembly line !!!! I started thinking ..... What have I done that could have caused this ???? And, I came up with ...... I tweaked the high pressure fuel line ( going from the pump to the fuel rail ) to not hit the motor mount near the pump !!! SO, I tweaked it some more and tested it, and the leak slowed down; but, I can't stop it !! I will order a NEW high pressure fuel line on monday since I will be kicking myself in the rear all weekend for causing this headache !!!

#22 ·
Sure enough it was me that caused this !! I installed the new High Pressure fuel supply line from the pump to the fuel " log " rail !!! The leak is fixed so I am back on track to getting this baby to fire up !! I have to thank Cummins Mid South for getting me the part around 9:30 this morning via Fed-Ex !!

I did receive the Rubicon Express 4" Extreme Duty springs yesterday evening ; so I will be working on changing them out during the week !! I will keep ya up to date as things progress !!

#23 · (Edited)
Sorry it has been so long since I reply !! My laptop crashed and I have had knee surgery since my last post !

I have installed the Rubicon Express 4 " lift springs and completed the water plumbing to the Air to Water Intercooler but I had to order 2 more 90's to complete the Air Piping !! I have lined the tub with a foiled bubble wrap to insulate it from noise and sound and have ordered up some interior carpet !! I have installed the Tom Woods driveshafts and thanks to the Dana 300 transfer case my rear driveshaft is 20" long now ( with out installing a t-case drop my skid plate measures 31" off the floor ) !! I will eventually run 35 inch tires but for now the 31's will have to do !!

My 2007 JK with 3 inch lift and 33 inch tires used to fit under the hardtop holder hanging from the ceiling !

Installed LED marker and taillights !!

Installed Bushwacker Fender Flares !! You can kinda see the insulation I installed !!

And here is the VIDEO I promised of initial start up !! I had to temporarily install the intercooler and I have not connected the exhaust ( the part is on order to finish it ) !! I find it very quiet considering at the beginning of the video the camera is only 12 inches away from the turbo !!

[video]http://www.flickr.com/photos/42246689@N06/5169660442/[/video]

#25 ·
Old injury from 9th grade ! I hyperextended it and it caused a cyst and the cyst calcified and grew; now I am 40 and the cyst was 2.5 inches long and 1.5 inches wide so it was time to get it out of there !! It was attached to the ligaments and tendons and I could no longer bend my knee without it stabbing into the calf muscle !! I had the surgery on Nov. 4th and yesterday is the first time I have seen my knee cap since 9th grade; it had been so swollen all these years !!
Much better now, just need to let the incision heal up !!

#26 ·
Uploaded more pics for ya !!

The cable operated twin sticks and the AX-15 !! And the insulation I applied can be seen ; it is basically bubble wrap sandwiched between 2 sheets of aluminum foil !!

And the Tom Woods Custom Driveshafts !!

#28 ·
Yea !! The turbo is wide open to the atmosphere also and the camera is rather close to it !!

#29 · (Edited)
Air to Water Intercooler is complete !!

All air piping and water plumbing connected, what do ya'll think !! I am not an engineer, but it ALL fits under the hood ( barely ) !! I had to keep the engine high enough not to hit the front differential without having to cut up the hood !! I think it came out as a great compromise !!

I borrowed the 1984 Mercedes 300 Turbo Diesel's Coolant overflow bottle for my Air to Water Intercooler's holding tank !!

The red and white object is the Intercooler's water pump ( which is just a live bait well pump ); but it works great !! It is under the IC's radiator and fan !!

#32 ·
Ya'll realize you can click on the link to my flickr acct in my signature, it gives you alot more pics and the option of blowing them up and zooming in !!

#33 ·
Just a quick update !!

Vermeer is the company that originally ordered and spec'd out my motor ! They obviously spec'd the computer to be an industrial throttle !!! So, I simply needed to have the industrial throttle turned OFF and the automotive throttle turned ON !! Well, I have not had a chance to go to " pull a part " and reach under any new vehicle dash and remove the computer interface plug ( called a J-1939 ) !!
But, my engine came with two other computer interface plugs from the factory; and believe it or not the closest " cummins mechanic/ dealer " with the other interface plugs is 4 hours drive away from me !! It was gonna be expensive and a royal PAIN IN THE A$$ to haul my Jeep to them wait for them to get to it and then pay a couple hours of Labor ( roughly $95 per hour ) and then haul it home !!

Well, my Cummins Engineer friend came to the rescue !!!! I mailed the computer to him and he is gonna turn ON the circuit !! I feel so fortunate and Blessed to have so much support from basically total strangers I met on the internet !!

#34 ·
Nice Build !!, I have been throwing the idea of a common rail 4 cyl cummins in my excursion..in hopes of getting 20 plus mpgs...keep us posted. Do you know if the injectors are 6.7l based or 5.9L based?..the 6.7L based injectors are supposed to be better.... Does the wiring have a obd II port?
thanks,
Deo

#35 · (Edited)
This engine shares architecture with the 6.7L , so I would believe the injectors are 6.7L versions !! The engine comes with 2 ecm interface ports for the dealer ( one is a 2 pin and the other is a 3 pin, and not ALL dealers have this connection ), and the engine harness ( that the consumer creates ) has a diagnostic interface called a J1939 port !! The engine is Industrial and has no " Automotive " application, so it is not necessarily OBD II like your daily driver !! The J1939 is a round 9 wire diagnostic interface similar to an 18 wheelers diagnostic port !!

I hope that helps and I did not confuse you more !!!

#36 · (Edited)
Well, I got the computer for my engine back !! My engineer friend said the computer needed 4 " updates " or revisions !! He also turned " ON " the automotive side of the computer !! I installed it and plugged it back in and reinstalled the fuse; but I am going to have to take it to New Orleans any way !! I can't get the potentiometer to control the rpm's; it will idle all day long but nothing else !! I am taking it to the experts to save me throwing parts and money at it and hoping to fix the problem !! I guess that is what is to be expected from being a " Pioneer " !! Ha Ha Ha !!

Maybe now is a good time to run the wiring to the J-1939 or J-1587 computer interfaces !!

#38 · (Edited)
your wish is my command...... Ha Ha Ha !!! In my opinion it is much quieter when compared to a 4bt's noise level !! This clip is with open exhaust and without airfilter and housing; both are within 12 inches of the camera !!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42246689@N06/5169660442/

#42 ·
Actually, you would be money ahead to just plain find one and get the computer updated ( like I did ) unless you are prepared to " special order " one and come up with roughly $9000.00 for a brand new one !!

Well, here is the moment I have been anticipating since last March !! I got the exhaust finished up at Midas and I used a Walker Dynomax 2 3/4 mandrel bent 90 from Summit racing !
Without making you wait any longer; I got to drive my Cummins QSB 4.5L JEEP today !! OOOOHHHH what a blast !!! Here are a couple videos !!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42246689@N06/5310373163/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42246689@N06/5310373155/

Drivers Side of engine.....Completed !!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42246689@N06/5310373173/

Passengers Side of engine........ Completed !! I still have to run the ECM wiring harness thru the firewall and run the wires to toggle switches for " Boost Power " and " Cruise Control " but these amenities can wait !!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42246689@N06/5310976554/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.