Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Manual Transmission options for the 4-53T

24K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Grigg 
#1 ·
Dear Forum:

I was curious if there were a 5 or 6 speed manual that can be rigged up to the 4-53T that can handle its torque. The Cummins 4bt and 6bt have the nv4500, but I want to run a Detroit Diesel.

If I were to run a road ranger like Grigg3 does, I would probably have to get a new rear end just to handle the torque. :lol

Can anyone point me out in the right direction or give me some guidance? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Scott

#2 ·
If your worried about the 453's torque.... either way you'll need an new rear end then......

Any transmission with an SAE #2 will suit your needs torque wise I think.... (Fuller 5 and 6 speeds were most common....)

The search button shall set you free.

#4 ·
Anything with an SAE #3 or #2 clutch housing will be extremely easy to use (and probably on the heavy side), as many 53 series come with those size flywheel housings.

There are also ways to adapt NV4500 transmissions to work with the usual GM transmission bolt pattern as found on the SM420, SM465, and T5 transmissions. Then there are stock but sometimes hard to find Detroit housings for the GM transmissions. As well as the Gama Goat housing that takes a GM manual transmission.

Then you have most all the usual automotive transmission options if you use a Phoenix Adapters setup to go from a common SAE #4 Detroit flywheel housing to whatever gas engine bolt pattern you choose.
http://www.phxgrp.com/transmission.htm

Pretty much you can decide what transmission you like and then there will be a way to use it, some methods harder to find or more expensive than others though.

First find out what gear ratios you'll need to use the vehicle like you plan, do you need an Over Drive or not, and then decide what size vehicle and therefore what size transmission should work. By that point you should have considerably narrowed down the list of good transmission choices and you can then see what makes the most sense as far as price, availability, ease of adapting, and personal preference.

Grigg

#5 ·
Grigg. Many thanks.. I plan on putting a 4-53 in an older pickup truck or a bronco, blazer, ramcharger type vehicle. This prompted some other questions.
Is it possible to use these fuller transmissions with transfer cases? (Like I said earlier, I am a neophyte (i.e. grasshopper from the Kung Fu tv show), so this might explain my questions.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.