Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

72 Scout Build

48K views 61 replies 25 participants last post by  93_4BT 
#1 ·
Well started this a few days ago, been planning it for a few years. I've had this scout body sitting in the barn for around 6 years. anyhow, putting in a 4bta, th400, and Dana 20 transfer case. later i'll drop in an overdrive auto and a Dana 300.
Got the engine and trans sitting in the body on blocks, fabbing up the mounts. got'em made out of cardboard, just need to cut them out of 1/4 inch and weld'em up.
Then I'm swapping in a Dana 60 front and 14bolt rear.

See less See more
#2 ·
that's great, very nice to see another re-power get going!:beer:

"need to cut them out of 1/4 inch " Are the mounts very long
between the frame and motor? You may want to use gussets
to support the engine load (weight, shake, bounce and hard braking)

BTW, did you polish-up your injector lines? Or is it the photo...

#4 ·
yep there will be plenty of gusseting. didn't polish the lines, must just be the pic. I am using 93 dodge mounts. the stepvan ones were just too tall for me.
mocked up everything in cardboard, and my buddy came over and helped me cut most of the brackets out yesterday. got them mostly positioned and tacked today, a few good welds on the engine brackets. gotta pull the engine and finish welding the frame part up good, and it will pretty much be sitting where its gonna be.
Passenger side

Driver side

#5 ·
had to make a trans mount that bolts onto the dana 20 since the original adapter foot was busted, no big surprise there.

Gotta build a new crossmember in the morning for the trans.

#9 ·
I'm probably gonna hafta notch the firewall like scout4bta did,unless I use a different exhaust manifold and run outside the frame with it. the hood will fit fine I believe. I'm gonna use the p30 radiator, and make a custom lower hose out of muffler tubing, since the stock hose won't work, and just connect it with hose ends. it will sit behind where the stock rad fits, which will leave room for an intercooler, and I didn't have a scout rad anyhow, so might as well keep it low budget!

#11 ·
not alot of pics,now I'm getting the dana 60 and springs installed in the front. this thing is gonna sit pretty high on 38's!
Installed a 89 J@@P XJ steering column and shaft last night, since its tilt and the column was gone from the scout. just had to grind the lower mount plate off the column so it would fit thru the hole in the firewall. works perfect.
Also got hydroboost installed on the firewall. used a p30 hydroboost, with the mounting plate from a regular chevy truck and its the correct length to bolt right into the scout! I love the easy stuff. I'm hoping by the end of the week it will be sitting on its wheels, and i'll be making some driveshafts for it. bounce

#12 ·
I'm jealous! Although to my mind a pickup is a more usefull vehicle.

GREAT JOB!

#13 ·
This is my daily driver, so I got the truck part covered. I'm putting a 6bt in it when I'm done with the scout. right now its a 6.2 with a turbo. :grinpimp:

#15 ·
That's a mighty fine looking truck K20!

But keep us updated on the Scout eh?

#16 ·
well heres a pic of the steering column and hydroboost hooked up. used a P30 hydroboost, with a 86 chevy truck hydroboost backing plate, trimmed on the bottom to clear the steering column mount, and it bolted right in.
used a J@%p XJ steering column, and ground the foot off the bottom and it fit right in the stock column mounts. also used the XJ shaft and it bolted right in stock after pushing it shorter. I love easy stuff!

sideshot. i'll sit about 4" higher with the 38s on.

Front springmounts and bumper combo. still gotta plate the front and rear of them, and finish the bumper. the hangers are on the bumper since I used Cheby rear 52" springs in the front.

anyhow, the plan is to have it running and driving in a about a week and a half, so i've been real busy getting it all together. more updates later. bounce

#17 ·
Looks really good man, I like the Chevy springs in the front. Its gonna ride nice. That thing will be huge with 38s on it. Good luck gettin' it on the road.

#18 ·
Yeah nice set up, Im right behind you with this conversion. Im doing the same to a 76 scout. The guy above me (Hot Dawg) got my last 4bt but today I scored 2 more bounce !! I have Hot Dawgs conversion here in Texas and after driving it I cant wait to do the Scout. The reverse shackle looks sweet, I plan on doing the same. Looking good, keep up the good work.

#21 ·

Hopefully I'll get the front bumper remounted tomorrow. too many roadtrips lately so I haven't gotten much done. still need to finish the exhaust, shocks, and trans tunnel cover. gotta try to get it finished. need the shop to drop the 6bt in my crewcab!

#24 ·
i've got 1.5 inch spacers on the front. running a van rearend in it. its just rattlecan tan camo. gonna do a better job on it later, with real paint, but just had to get past the multi-color for now.
got my exhuast done, 3" straight thru, rear shocks are on, and softop is installed. just need to finish the wiring to the tailights, and front shockmounts and I can actually run it on the road. just working on a few other things that i gotta get caught up on first.

#25 ·
You run through a project like a pro! Nice work and fast work!

I am interested in your K20 as well. That bed is different that anything I have seen. Did you shorten it or is that factory? I have been toying with the idea of shortening mine for a short bed at some point. Yours almost looks like a suburban chassis??

#27 ·
well its actually a v30 truck. I started out with a 3/4 ton i was gonna do a crewcab swap on, and ended up buying a military cab, bed and frame and building it. the frame and bed have been shortened 30something inches. the bed was a longbed, and now its 6ft wide and 6ft long. I didn't have $200 for d60 lockouts so I left the factory plastic caps on the front axle awhile. those military crate 60's are nice! that axle is now in the scout, since it had 4.56 gears. got another 60 to go back in the truck, and it'll have 3.73 gears to match the rear. I've got way too many projects going right now.
heres a picture of the scout actually out of the shop. more updates soon.

#28 ·
oooooooh man!!bounce I love it! Man I gotta get my Scout going. Looks great!

#29 ·
Hey Denny T, looks purdy good don't it!!! I'm ready for your scout project too.

Check out his FJ-40 in the background!

How bout that 4 door chevy as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.