Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Project Oliver 1850

24K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  deerefanatic 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm in the process of getting ready to swap a 6BT cummins into an Oliver 1850. If anybody has done this or knows someone who has, I'm looking for all info pertaining to this swap like motor mounts, etc.....

Thanks in advance for any assistance you guys can get me. I'll post pictures as I go along!

#2 ·
I had to look up what that was....figured it was a tractor.

But, sorry, I can't really HELP...just wanted the excuse to post pictures. :D

#4 ·
Mine is a 2wd..... It's just like the second picture above, but without the cab.

It's a typical oliver from that time frame, 6 speed manual with a Hydra-Power which is an under-drive/direct-drive power shift in front of it.

Originally, it was 95 hp with a 354 perkins diesel, 6 cylinder. The other options included a 6 cylinder gas or propane engine..

#5 ·
these oliver tractors are not so common here in south america, so i don't know too much about'em... is this hydra-power a kind of 2spd torque converter? would you want to retain it after a 6bt swap or would you consider to use the transmission of the donor truck?

#6 ·
The Hydra-Power is a 2 speed power shift transmission. It will be retained with the Cummins swap. The hydra-power has no torque converter. There is a standard clutch between it and the transmission, and then it is a direct/under-drive power shift. The output of this unit is coupled to the input shaft of the transmission.

Retaining this unit is a must since the PTO drive shaft passes through it. The main transmission and the hydra power are made with hollow shafts, so that the pto drive shaft can run through the inside as it is coupled directly to the engine flywheel so that the PTO will run even when the clutch is depressed.

#7 ·
Retaining this unit is a must since the PTO drive shaft passes through it.
if you be lucky to find a donor truck already fitted with pto (some have a hydrostatic pto that works even with the automatic transmission on N or even P) you could delete the hydra-power, but they're not so easily avaliable... btw would you want to retain it with manual transmission or have you already considered an automatic?

#8 ·
I don't think that'd work too good as the big truck trannys with PTO have the PTO running off of a gear through a cover on the side of the tranny, not out through the back via a shaft through the center of the tranny..

#10 ·
For a tractor, you would definitely keep the manual transmission. An automatic would not be very useful. But, powershifts are very common on later model tractors.. They are basically an automatic, but with a clutch instead of a torque converter and you select the gears manually, but don't have to clutch to shift..

I'll try and get some pics for you to see how this PTO arangement works..

#14 ·
Bob, you may want to aquaint yourself with the meaning of circumvent. I dutifully followed "the rules". Your private message suggestion would have been a circumvention of the rules. I merely wanted to pass along a series of amazingly clear photos of a similar swap. If you deem me stupid for my effort, I guess I'll struggle to live with my limitations.

#16 ·
All you had to do was to send me the link which I would have cut and pasted into this thread as a quote from you. This IS NOT a violation of the rules. If you wanted to post pictures and you respectfully ask I CAN up your post count and give you the same access. I have done this to help new members many times in the past.

#15 ·
Hey, hey, guys... Lets keep the blood pressure down now! Oxbow, thanks very much for the link with pictures. VERY nice setup. I haven't gotten through them all, but I'm workin at it. :D

I too hope to get pictures up soon on my conversion.

The clutch is the most expensive part. That flywheel is not available aftermarket anymore and the genuine cummins part is horridly expensive ($1000+) and also not available.. I'm working on an aftermarket custom setup that may very well be cheaper than the White 100 series setup.. And easy to get. Stay tuned....

And Bob, give the guy a break, He's new and a little overzelous... :D

#17 ·
#18 ·
Sorry Bob, this is a cool board, and I sure don't mean to cause harm.

Red stroke, notice the White guy's motor mounts and how he derived dimensions. Then he sent them off to plate them. I think I hear your Ollie tub is the same as the white tub - if so, the motor mount dimensions should be the same? That white guy is like a machinist/millwright, I'm just a hack that blew up a Hercules motor planting wheat. The Acco shop in Chadron, Ne has been doing 6bt transplants for $10,000 using a salvage motor. My dead in the water tractor is a white 2-155 with a Hercules that knocks and smokes - almost the same tractor as that 2-135 and your oliver. I was sorry to hear about the flywheel cost, as I remember, that white swap used a late model white flywheel. If you learn anything,
i'd sure like to hear it.

#19 ·
Oliver never came factory with a Cummins. The last models of White (which is what was left of Oliver), namely the 100, 120, and 140 had 5.9 cummins. It's these units that have the clutch/flywheel we need and that is horrendously expensive. I plan to make a phone call to my clutch supplier tomorrow about a custom setup.....

#21 ·
#23 ·
Thanks for the video! I love those Cummins Oliver pull videos... Kickin' butt with clean exhaust (errr.. cleaner than the tractor's original motor anyhow)

#24 ·
Well guys, I've made some progress on this. I have the motor mounts from Maibach tractor. Got the fronts all mounted and tack welded together. Front of engine is centered in the tub to within .004". I think that's close enough. :D

OK. Now, on to the clutch.

South Bend Clutch in Mishawaka, IN has taken care of me. What he did was surfaced my old Perkins flywheel, then redrilled it to the cummins bolt pattern. He's putting an updated 6 button ceramic disc in it with bigger springs, and a diaphragm style pressure plate with heavier plate load (but being diaphragm, it won't have much if any heavier pedal effort) When all is said and done, I should be able to reuse my Perkins starter motor, and everything will bolt back up. They're also beefing up the PTO drive hub too so I don't have to buy the newer cast drive hub.

Looks like right now the bill is around $600 + shipping both ways. We'll see what it is when its all said and done. The clutch should be done I'm guessing next week.

While I was in there, I also replaced the poor worn chain coupler. The chain was getting sloppy, plus the rear sprocket's splines were getting worn. I used genuine AGCO parts for this as Brad at Maibach tractor told me I'm much less likely to blow them up.

Also made an adapter to cock the turbo inward so it fits entirely under the sheet metal. Exhaust "should" exit through the stock hole in the hood by my calculations.

Check my link above as I've added more pictures.

#25 ·
Quick update: Clutch should be here Monday. I'm working on the coolant lines. Looks like I'll end up using a combination of rubber lines and exhaust pipe to get the lower radiator hose accomplished. The upper though is just a 24" piece of flex hose. :D

Anybody have the Cummins Water aftercooler plumbing schematic. I know how it was done on one industrial motor I saw, but it didn't seem ideal.

#26 ·
The tractor is almost fully assembled. Had to shorten the gas tank, as well as fab up some coolant lines, extend the turbo oil drain, and some various small stuff like the throttle linkage, etc...

Runs good. :D I am waiting on the fittings to hook up the air intake between the turbo and air cleaner and turbo and aftercooler...

This is gonna be good. :D

#27 ·
Just an update..... The Ollie has been completed, and is running good and earning her keep around here. I found out Sunday that she's turning more hp than I thought. Turns out, in addition to having the fuel pin turned, and timing advanced, the guy I bought the motor from had already maxed the pump fuel screw!! :D I pulled it as an exhibition run at the end of the 11500# farm class Sunday, and managed a 5th (out of 6) gear run, topping 9 mph! No video unfortunately, but my sis snapped a picture at the end..... (My dad was driving it.....)

I'm thinkin' this ol' girl is pushing the 225-250 hp level. I plan to drain the fluid out of the tires here before the next pull in September..... I think I can drop her from 12,200 lbs she's at now to possibly fit an 8500# class by draining the 3000 lbs of fluid, taking off the 3 point arms, and some other weight reduction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.