Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Case 4-390

27K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  glenn715 
#1 ·
Hey im new to this forum but have been working on and with diesels for years, i wanted to do a 4bt swap in my 94 Zj and recently came across this Case 4-390 from what i understand scence its missing the 4"t"-390 its nn turbo but that there almost identical to 4bt's? I wanted to see what u guys could tell me ive scearced high and low and cant find much info on these motors thanks allot,, anthony

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
awesome thanks allot guys. so whats the difference between this motor other then the turbo and compression ratio, what makes the compression lower? is it possible to turbo this motor?(pistons upper rings piston cooling nozzles or something?) will a 4bt intake manifold fit? i wana send the head out and have it checked/faced aslong as i kno i can use it, do u think a case dealer could tell me the year of it with the serial number? i ripped it down today ill have more pics tomorrow, i really appreciate the info

#8 ·
It would involve swapping out the pistons with rings to the turbo type which in most cases have the top ring repositioned & checking or adding piston oilers. Since you have it down that far it you might as well replace the bearings also because they seem to wear out before the pistons and rings. In doing this from an economical stand point it would require a complete overhaul kit for a CPL 857 4BT turbo style engine. It would also require buying the correct turbo exhaust manifold and a replacement intake manifold cover plate and crossover piping or CAC setup.

#9 ·
Does yours have an injection pump? If not your best bet might be to find a 4BT that has blown up and get all the parts from it that you need. Remember nothing lowers resale value faster than a rod out the side of the block.

#10 ·
no theres no injector pump or injectors, my plan was to build it to make like 200 250hp, i wanted to use 6bt injectors, pistons, turbo and 94-98 p-pump get a center flanged manifold to hopefully get away with minimal to no firewall modification, the cylinders are pretty beat ill have more pics tomorrow or tuesday, thinking about sleveing it, or boreing it and geting larger pistons scence i need different ones anyway, can i even use the 6bt injector pump if i plug 2 holes, and once agian thanks for the answers and dealing with the questions, your info has helped allot

#13 ·
You'll also have to have a different front timing cover to use a P pump. Used P 7100 pumps for 4bt's are like hunting hen's teeth. If you find one it is usually big money. The engine in your photos is just a long block. No pump, exhaust manifold, or turbo. The intake plate looks ok. Appears to have a bigger inlet than the turbo models. That would be good for an intercooler set up. Lot of small parts missing. Front pulleys, fuel lines, injector lines, lift pump. Many parts could come from a a Dodge 6bt. It all just depends on how much you want to spend on it.

#14 ·
I agree! You could not possibly use the 6BT injection pump! The firing order is totally different. Pluging holes will let fuel out the holes you want but it will not provide the proper fuel timing to those holes. The injection pump will still try to pump fuel out of #5 and #6 cylinder holes! I am also not sure that it would be healthy for the injection pump to have two holes blocked right off!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.