1996 Suburban Cummins 12V Conversion Build up with pics
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 1996 Suburban Cummins 12V Conversion Build up with pics

Thanks

Default 1996 Suburban Cummins 12V Conversion Build up with pics

We are almost done with a 12V Cummins into a K2500 Suburban 4x4.

The Suburban is a 1996 GMC and was a 454 Vortec truck when we started. We used the original transmission 4L80E with a controller. We ended up putting a 1" body lift on to make life easier although it wasn't required.

This entire swap was done without discharging the Air Conditioning.

Most all of the swap parts were from Autoworldmt.com - they were great during this entire swap. They supplied the motor mounts, trans controller, A/C mount, alternator mount, transmission adapter and tachometer drive.

Transmission was move back 3" to accommodate the longer Cummins engine. We moved the transmission coolers to underneath the truck, we used the factory cooler and a cooler from Derale with a fan on it.

Here is the engine, it is from a 1993 Dodge:

Another engine shot:

This shows what we had to cut from the core support to use a 1994-1998 Dodge Truck Intercooler, we did end up cutting more than what is shown but not much:

Here the engine is sitting on the mounts in the truck:

Another in truck shot:

Here is a clearance picture with the stock IFS and the Cummins Oil Pan. It doesn't touch but it's close. We have to countersink a few of the bolts:

Originally we tried to use the stock dodge manifold but ran into clearance issues since this Suburban has dual heat and A/C:

We ended up using a 2003 Dodge Manifold which is a lower mount and cleared everything:

Last edited by Crummins; 01-26-2011 at 10:44 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Default More Pics

Here is a shot of the engine with everything wired (but the wires aren't loomed back up yet), most of the intercooler piping and the radiator hoses are done:

Here is is with the wiring more complete and this was after we drove it:

Here it is with the intercooler, radiator and condenser installed:

Close up shot of the driver side intercooler:

Here is the truck after today:

Thanks

Looking real good. Thanks for posting the pics. Hows the trans controller working? Is the hood going to hit the A/C compressor? How long did it take to get the parts from Autoworld, I might be using there mounts for my 93 chevy dually.

Thanks

did you have to do anythig to make the a/c kick on with the pcm or did it work

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by midniteplowboyy View Post
    Looking real good. Thanks for posting the pics. Hows the trans controller working? Is the hood going to hit the A/C compressor? How long did it take to get the parts from Autoworld, I might be using there mounts for my 93 chevy dually.
    Autoworld was very quick with getting stuff to me. They had most everything in stock and the item they didn't have in stock (I can't remember what it was now) only took a week for them to fabricate up.

The hood did hit the compressor and I could have made the stock hood work I think but instead I just put a cowl hood on it and still had to trim for the A/C nipple and the dryer next to it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tiger04 View Post
    did you have to do anythig to make the a/c kick on with the pcm or did it work

It is unhooked right now but it worked fine when I had it hooked up.

On the computer, we pulled 35 pins out that aren't needed anymore and about 200 ft of wire, luckily, everything works -- except there is a check engine light -- haha.

Thanks

Thanks for the pics, they answer a lot of questions I had. Any idea's on what you are going to do with the parking lights......looks like the intercooler is in the way?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by svgould View Post
    Thanks for the pics, they answer a lot of questions I had. Any idea's on what you are going to do with the parking lights......looks like the intercooler is in the way?
    The parking light has 2 bulbs, both do the same thing, I was going to eliminate the backside of one side and seal it up with some sheet metal or something... Or if I can find some LED parking lights, I will swap them out for those as they would be much thinner.

Thanks

i tried navigating the autoworld site with no luck, what do the charge for the a/c bracket?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by black06 View Post
    i tried navigating the autoworld site with no luck, what do the charge for the a/c bracket?
    Not sure for your application, you would have to email or call them, they are very good to deal with but their website definitely needs updating.

Thanks

Super nice and answered alot of questions. Thanks for the pics. I have a 98 3500 srw that I want to this to. Great Job!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M.Kasperan View Post
    Super nice and answered alot of questions. Thanks for the pics. I have a 98 3500 srw that I want to this to. Great Job!
    Thanks! I did forget to mention a few things:

The intercooler we got was new aftermarket and was wider at the top (near the headlights) than a stock one. We have to have it cut and plated to clear the headlights, I have seen a stock one work with just removing the Dodge brackets but this aftermarket one was different. Here is a pic of the cooler we received:

Here is a pic where you can see it with the brackets cut off and the top plated. It cost about $175 to do have this plated at a hot rod shop and they also pressure checked it after it was done:

Last edited by Crummins; 01-17-2011 at 08:45 AM.

Thanks

what year intercooler is that .....or at least what year stock dodge equivelent
    91 intercooled d250 2wd with the getrag
    92 w250 4wd also still with the getrag
    95 chevy 1500 4wd with 4l80e was 6.5..... in the process of swapping the 91 dodge 6bt into it and converting it too nv4500 also!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lshep View Post
    what year intercooler is that .....or at least what year stock dodge equivelent
    Intercooler and Radiator are out of a 94 Dodge Cummins truck.

Thanks

ok i guess it just looked big for some reason
    91 intercooled d250 2wd with the getrag
    92 w250 4wd also still with the getrag
    95 chevy 1500 4wd with 4l80e was 6.5..... in the process of swapping the 91 dodge 6bt into it and converting it too nv4500 also!

Thanks

How much have you driven it? Which tranny controller did yo go with? I've been looking into the OptiShift Transmission Control System. Also were you able to put a mech fan or electric?
    Last edited by M.Kasperan; 01-17-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks

How much have you driven it? Which tranny controller did yo go with? I've been looking into the OptiShift Transmission Control System. Also were you able to put a mech fan or electric?
    I've only driven it 100 miles or so, still working bugs out like the power steering return lines weren't totally tight so they leaked a tad, little things like that.

The controller I went with was the Simple Shift:

http://www.powertraincontrolsolution...impleshift.php

I like how it is easy to adjust and seems to work very well. The only issue I have is it shifts out of first rather quickly but I am a little apprehensive to 'wood it' off of the line. I am not sure what the instant torque might do to stuff. I know the 454 had more torque but it came on more gradually and at a higher RPM.

Thanks

Fan, could have gone either way but since I needed a different fan drive, clutch, fan, etc. Once I priced everything out I was only $50 off of the electric flex-a-lite so I went with that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crummins View Post
    Not sure for your application, you would have to email or call them, they are very good to deal with but their website definitely needs updating.

I need the same vortec bracket you used in your build

Thanks

man, that is one sweet build. Just what I want to do to my 97 burb. I've found a 95 donor motor/tranny/tcase and ALL related components that have 84K miles. Still scrounging odds and ends, and trying to decide which axles to go with. If you don't mind I would like to ask alot of questions once I get more into my project.
    My son and I are about to finish up on his.....a 93 S10 with a 1st gen 5.9

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by black06 View Post
    I need the same vortec bracket you used in your build
    Couldn't find my receipt for that piece, their phone is 406-727-8915 and email is autoworld@bresnan.net

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CumminsBronco View Post
    man, that is one sweet build. Just what I want to do to my 97 burb. I've found a 95 donor motor/tranny/tcase and ALL related components that have 84K miles. Still scrounging odds and ends, and trying to decide which axles to go with. If you don't mind I would like to ask alot of questions once I get more into my project.
    My son and I are about to finish up on his.....a 93 S10 with a 1st gen 5.9
    S-10 with a 5.9, wow, that must have been tight.

As far as questions, I would be glad to help wherever I can. Thanks!

Thanks

Hello
    Not too steal a thread. I would like to see pics of the 1st Gen 5.9 in that S10.
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crummins View Post
    Fan, could have gone either way but since I needed a different fan drive, clutch, fan, etc. Once I priced everything out I was only $50 off of the electric flex-a-lite so I went with that.
    Very cool build thanks for answering the questions. How's the mileage?

Thanks

Very cool build thanks for answering the questions. How's the mileage?
    I've only driven it 100 miles as of yet and since the stock 42 gallon tank is full, it will be a little while before I refuel and calculate the mileage.

Thanks

Did you have do anything with the torsion bar cross member? You said you moves the trans back 3 three inch's wouldn't that run into the cross member? If you have a picture of this area that would be great. Sorry about all the questions.

Thanks

Did you have do anything with the torsion bar cross member? You said you moves the trans back 3 three inch's wouldn't that run into the cross member? If you have a picture of this area that would be great. Sorry about all the questions.
    I was originally told that I would need to cut a notch in the torsion bar crossmember so when everything was apart we did just that. Once we got it back together, we realized that it didn't need to be done so I just purchased a used uncut crossmember and put it in (I just swapped that out today actually).

Here is a pic. The pic makes it look closer than it really is, I can easily fit my hand between that lower bolt in the picture and the crossmember. The transfer case is a NP241.

The drain plug is close but still accessible, it would probably make a huge mess since it would just drain directly onto the crossmember but with a large enough pan it would be ok.

I think the Auto-Trac rigs have a larger rear output housing on the transfer case, so they would probably be the rigs that need to have the torsion bar crossmember notched.

Thanks

Here is another crossmember pic. Again, the pic makes it look closer than it is. There are 2 inches from the lower bolt to the crossmember. The drain plug is 1/2" away from the lip on the crossmember and 1-1/4" away from the body of the crossmember.

New Registered User
    Thanks

how does it feel? i mean is the addition of weight greatly noticed? is the front end sagging? i want to do this swap, but was looking into an old body for solid axle to help with holding up the weight

Thanks

Doesn't sag a bit, I am not sure how much I cranked the torsion bolts up but it wasn't much at all. The 454 was probably about 800 lbs and the Cummins is about 1100 lbs. 300 lbs isn't that much of a difference. Plus I have seen a lot of this era truck with snow plows hanging out the front bumper and those weigha whole lot more than 300 lbs (not to mention the leverage weight from hanging off of the front) and their suspension seems to hold up fine.

The front doesn't feel any heavier than it did, it drives just like it used to, I am sure it would be different if I throw it into a corner but it's a Suburban, not a sports car.

+ Reply to Thread