Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1996 Suburban Cummins 12V Conversion Build up with pics

321K views 279 replies 56 participants last post by  dixiepc 
#1 · (Edited)
We are almost done with a 12V Cummins into a K2500 Suburban 4x4.

The Suburban is a 1996 GMC and was a 454 Vortec truck when we started. We used the original transmission 4L80E with a controller. We ended up putting a 1" body lift on to make life easier although it wasn't required.

This entire swap was done without discharging the Air Conditioning.

Most all of the swap parts were from Autoworldmt.com - they were great during this entire swap. They supplied the motor mounts, trans controller, A/C mount, alternator mount, transmission adapter and tachometer drive.

Transmission was move back 3" to accommodate the longer Cummins engine. We moved the transmission coolers to underneath the truck, we used the factory cooler and a cooler from Derale with a fan on it.

Here is the engine, it is from a 1993 Dodge:

Another engine shot:

This shows what we had to cut from the core support to use a 1994-1998 Dodge Truck Intercooler, we did end up cutting more than what is shown but not much:

Here the engine is sitting on the mounts in the truck:

Another in truck shot:

Here is a clearance picture with the stock IFS and the Cummins Oil Pan. It doesn't touch but it's close. We have to countersink a few of the bolts:

Originally we tried to use the stock dodge manifold but ran into clearance issues since this Suburban has dual heat and A/C:

We ended up using a 2003 Dodge Manifold which is a lower mount and cleared everything:

See less See more
#145 ·
Motorhome manifold new 12V, low rear mount: $475

Dodge truck round port manifold 24v new, low rear mount: $135

The ports line up perfectly, I just ported out the 24V exhaust manifold on the tops and bottoms to make them more 'square' and it works perfectly.

That isn't a plate between the 2, it is a Remflex gasket.. best exhaust gaskets you can buy: http://www.dougthorley.com/CartGenie/prod-162.htm

#149 ·
Hi Crummins,
What did you do for a throttle cable?
How did you go from the suburban 4x4 lever to the dodge transfer case?
My suburban was a 6.5 diesel do some of my swap is easier. However I do not have a tach on my dash and I also am wondering how I am going to get the speedo to work.

#152 ·
I used the stock throttle cable and cut it down a bit and put a new end on it.

I used the stock GM transfer case so I didn't have to do anything. My speedo works because I left the speed sensors in the transmission and the xfer case.

Hope this helps.

#156 ·
Yes, I kept the power steering cooler.

I don't remember for sure where the wires were on the 454 originally, but on the Cummins, the stock water temp is in the back of the head on the driver side, the oil pressure is on the driver side near the power steering.

#166 ·
Looks good! But you should start your own build thread, not tag on to the end of someone else's finished thread. :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

#171 ·
They haven't. I ran out of time before our first summer trip and just put the stock clutch fan on (without shroud) and it cooled fine. The electric fan will be going on in the next couple of weeks as it takes WAY too long to warm up in the cold weather with the engine fan always spinning, albeit slowly with the clutch.

#175 ·
Unless your truck was a diesel already (6.5L) you will have to run them off a push button and a relay or two. Its reallt easy. Only other way to have them work automatically would be to wire in the whole Dodge ecm since that's what controls them. I went for push button control for mine and it works great.

Two 100 amp relays one for each grid heater, both run off the same push button.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

#179 ·
Its nice to see this is a on going thread. Its been sometime since I last looked at it. So... Cummins I got the 12 valve in with the nv4500 the truck changed to a 4 door 3500 that was a gas 5.7 auto. I fabbed everything up and got her running good. BUT I cant figure out the intercooler to radiator mix. Ive got the stock 94 dodge intercooler and a 01 dodge radiator and im having about a 1/2 inch clearance issue to get them to mesh correctly. Any ideas??

Oh and for everyone thats reading ive started a photo bucket account with all the pics from the build of the cummins to the swap. If you are intrested I would be happy to send the link but that only if you think that it would help this thread. Not wanting to step on anyones toes if you know what I mean.

#182 ·
Hey Crummins where did you get your Intercooler from. Some of the aftermarket I/Cs are really expensive. Saw some cheaper ones, not sure about the quality? My 96 donor truck had some damage on the I/C from an accident.

#185 ·
I picked up an intercooler from Performance Radiator. They have a location near us and we have an account with them. I hadn't thought about them, thanks. Also found a really nice radiator I think I'm going to use. BTR radiators in GA. They make a 4 row all cooper and steel radiator. I hate those Plastic reservoir radiators. http://www.btr-radiator.com/. I'm getting set up as a dealer for BTR so if anyone's interested let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.