Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

4 cylinder cat in a chevy pickup?

12K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 
#1 ·
I have a 1996 chevy pickup (full size) 2 wheel drive with a 5 speed manual trans. I also have caterpillar 4cylinder 80hp at 2500 rpm 280ft lbs of tork at 1600 rpm.I was thinking about doing a swap but I'm not sure if this engine is big enough. I'm just going to use it to run parts and dont plan on pulling anything.Just really looking for better mileage. Not going to haul much weight either. Looking for help Tim

#2 ·
With that torque output ,it would move your pickup very nicely ! I wonder about your stated horsepower rating as the 4-53 N was 140 HP @ 2800,282Ft. lbs. @ 1700 and handled my 7200 lb. pickup very nicely,even pulling a trailer . I had hauled an IHC 966 farm tractor 450 miles to New York and a 50 GMC old road tractor back to Ohio on a 3 axle trailer . I ran that used engine 11 years ,till I found a 4-53T .

#3 ·
I have a 1996 chevy pickup (full size) 2 wheel drive with a 5 speed manual trans. I also have caterpillar 4cylinder 80hp at 2500 rpm 280ft lbs of tork at 1600 rpm.I was thinking about doing a swap but I'm not sure if this engine is big enough. I'm just going to use it to run parts and dont plan on pulling anything.Just really looking for better mileage. Not going to haul much weight either.
is this engine a cat/perkins c4.4? it would be enought, considering that gm have used some perkins 4-bangers in their pickups for some latin-american and overseas markets...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.