4bt to dodge nv4500 or nv5600 with no adapter?
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4bt to dodge nv4500 or nv5600 with no adapter?

Thanks

Default 4bt to dodge nv4500 or nv5600 with no adapter?

HELLO EVERYONE
    I REGISTERED ON HERE A COUPLE DAYS AGO
    I WAS READING A POST FROM SOMEONE ELSE THAT DODGEs NV4500 BOLTED TO A 4BT WITH NO ADAPTER.
    I'M NOT SURE IF THEY WERE ASKING OR SAYING THAT IT DOES.
    I MESSAGED THEM ABOUT THEIR STATEMENT BUT HAVENT HEARD BACK YET.
    I'VE BEEN TRYING TO SEARCH AROUND ON HERE AND FIND OUT BUT I AM WONDERING IF AN ADAPTER WOULD BE NEEDED TO HOOK UP A DODGE NV4500 OR NV5600 TO A 4BT.
    THE NV4500 IS DODGEs 5 SPEED MANUAL AND NV5600 IS DODGEs 6 SPEED MANUAL.
    THE TRUCK I'D LIKE TO PUT THIS IN IS A 2000 FORD RANGER 4x4.
    SOME OF THE POSTINGS I'VE FOUND HAVE CONTRADICTING ANSWERS TO MY QUESTION.
    DOES ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE FROM THEIR OWN EXPERIENCES WHETHER EITHER OF THESE WILL HOOK UP WITHOUT AN ADAPTER?
    OR DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY OTHER 5 OR 6 SPEED HEAVY DUTY MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS THAT WILL HOOK UP WITH NO ADAPTER?
    THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANYONEs HELP!
    Last edited by BWG427; 01-19-2011 at 11:55 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

The 4BT does not have a conventional bell housing bolt pattern. Any trany you want to bolt to a cummins b series takes the appropriate adapter.
    1994 Dodge Dakota Ext Cab 4x4. 4BTA 375hp and 720ft/lbs torque, 12.9 at 103mph 1/4.
    There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Thanks

THANKS KHAOSKUSTOMS
    I'LL HAVE TO FIND SOME DECENT WEBSITES OR CLASSIFIED ADs TO SEE WHICH ADAPTERS ARE THE MOST COST FRIENDLY.
    I JUST WASNT SURE IF THE BOLT PATTERNS OF 6BTs AND 4BTs WERE THE SAME
    THANKS AGAIN
    Last edited by BWG427; 01-19-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks

an adapter off a 5.9 out of a dodge truck will bolt up to a 4bt. the easiest way is to get everything from the adapter back out of the same dodge truck and you know it will all fit together.
    52 Dodge cab on a 79 P30 step van chassis with a 97 6bt...it'll get done, one of these days.

Thanks

Are you sure you want to go with the six speed? Unless you're planning on using the vehicle for a lot of towing where you need the extra gear I would stay away from it. Parts for the NV4500 are cheaper and easier to find.

Thanks

THANKS LUNACY
    I HOPE YOURE RIGHT CAUSE IF YOU ARE, THAT COULD SAVE ME A TON OF $$$.
    I WAS WONDERING IF THE BELLHOUSING/ADAPTER ON A USED 6BT DODGE WOULD HOOK UP TO THE 4BT

HORNS
    I REALLY WOULD JUST LIKE TO SEE WHAT KIND OF FUEL MILEAGE I COULD GET WITH A 4BT.
    I WAS HOPING TO GET AT LEAST 30MPG.
    I RARELY TOW ANYTHING AT ALL.
    IF I TOWED ANYTHING, IT WOULDNT BE ANYTHING HEAVIER THAN A POP UP CAMPER OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.
    IM NO MECHANIC OR ANYTHING BUT I WAS ASSUMING 6TH GEAR OF A 6 SPEED WOULD RUN AT LOWER RPMs THAN 5TH GEAR OF A 5 SPEED WHILE ON THE HIGHWAY.
    AM I WRONG ABOUT THIS?
    OR IS A 6 SPEED JUST A 5 SPEED WITH A GRANNY GEAR?
    IF THAT IS THE CASE THAN A 5 SPEED WOULD BE JUST FINE.
    ANY INFO YOU COULD GIVE ME ON ANY THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
    THANKS!

Thanks

Overdrive is essentially the same. They just squeezed one more gear into it to lessen the spread to keep the motor in optimum rpms. The 5600 is a stronger transmission, but it's also larger and quite a bit heavier. 5 speed is probably your best bet, it's cheaper to get and easier to fit in a vehicle, and if you're not pulling a heavy load you'll never even notice the missing gear.

NV4500
    1. 5.61
    2. 3.04
    3. 1.67
    4. 1.00
    5. 0.74
    6. N/A

NV5600
    1. 5.63
    2. 3.38
    3. 2.04
    4. 1.39
    5. 1.00
    6. 0.73
    52 Dodge cab on a 79 P30 step van chassis with a 97 6bt...it'll get done, one of these days.

Thanks

WOW
    THANKS AGAIN LUNACY
    IM REALLY GLAD TO FIND THIS OUT NOW CAUSE I HAVE NOTICED JUST AS YOU SAID THAT 6 SPEED EQUIPMENT IS DEFINITELY MORE EXPENSIVE.
    THIS MAY MAKE MY PROJECT MORE AFFORDABLE.

AND PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG ABOUT WHAT YOU SAID IN YOUR PREVIOUS POST...
    YOU MENTIONED SOMETHING ALONG THE LINES OF THE 6BT ADAPTER SHOULD BOLT UP TO A 4BT....
    JUST TO MAKE SURE IM RIGHT ON THIS....
    DOES THIS MEAN IF I FOUND A WRECKED DIESEL DODGE RAM WITH A NV4500 4x4 TRANS...
    AND EVERYTHING WAS INTACT...
    I COULD TAKE EVERYTHING THATS BOLTED ON TO THE BACK OF THE 6BT ENGINE AND BOLT IT UP TO A 4BT ENGINE?
    WITHOUT NEEDING TO CHANGE ANY ADAPTERS?
    SORRY FOR THE REPEETIVENESS, I'M LEARNING ALOT HERE AND TRYING TO MAKE SURE I'M READING THE INFO RIGHT BEFORE I START TO GET VERY FAR INTO THE PLANNING/BUYING/DISASSEMBLING.
    THANKS AGAIN

Vendor
    Thanks

YES --- but you also need the adapter off the 6BT. Just buy the wrecked 6BT and take everything that is bolted BEHIND the block off and put it back onto the back of the 4BT. The starter fits into the adapter.
    1987 Mercedes 300SDL (D stands for diesel); 152K+ miles
    4BT into a 00 Dakota 4wd <--- my build thread
    various other random diesel projects

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daw_two View Post
    YES --- but you also need the adapter off the 6BT. Just buy the wrecked 6BT and take everything that is bolted BEHIND the block off and put it back onto the back of the 4BT. The starter fits into the adapter.
    2X,but go with a 94-2002 Dodge,,,,earlier has a different adapter,and the 94-02's are easier to find in a wrecking yard,just get it all,adapter,bell,flywheel clutch,master/slave,starter,bolts,and transmission mount....the trans set up doesn't know if it has a 4 cylinder,or 6 cylinder in front of it!!

Vendor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2Dodges View Post
    2X,but go with a 94-2002 Dodge,,,,earlier has a different adapter,and the 94-02's are easier to find in a wrecking yard,just get it all,adapter,bell,flywheel clutch,master/slave,starter,bolts,and transmission mount....the trans set up doesn't know if it has a 4 cylinder,or 6 cylinder in front of it!!
    And "if" you are going with an automatic, get the PCM and engine wiring harness ---- especially the one that goes to the transmission.
    1987 Mercedes 300SDL (D stands for diesel); 152K+ miles
    4BT into a 00 Dakota 4wd <--- my build thread
    various other random diesel projects

Thanks

THANKS EVERYONE
    I'M DEFINITELY GOING TO GO WITH A 5 SPEED MANUAL (NV4500) IF I DO THIS SWAP.
    AND THANKS FOR CLEARING UP THAT A 6BT ADAPTER (THATS CURRENTLY IN '94-'01 RAMS) WOULD BOLT UP TO A 4BT ENGINE.
    I'VE ASSUMED THAT A 4BT IS A 6BT WITH 2 LESS CYLINDERS.
    I JUST WASNT SURE IF THE BOLT PATTERNS WERE THE SAME OR NOT.
    BUT YOU CLEARED THAT UP FOR ME.
    THANKS AGAIN

I JUST BOUGHT A 2000 RANGER 4x4 2 DAYS AGO THAT I WAS PLANNING ON DOING THE 4BT SWAP IN.
    BUT I FOUND THE AXLE CODE LASTNIGHT AND IT TURNS OUT ITS A 7.5" WITH 3.73 GEARS.
    WHICH SUCKS.
    I'LL HAVE TO FIND A FRONT AND REAR 8.8" AXLE WITH 3.55s.
    THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE FOR THEIR HELP AND IF ANYONE HAS ANY OTHER INFO THEY THINK WOULD BE USEFUL FOR ME, FEEL FREE TO INCLUDE IT.
    YOU'VE ALL BEEN A GREAT GREAT HELP.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.