4BT into Frontier
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4BT into Frontier

New Registered User
    Thanks

Default 4BT into Frontier

Hey guys I'm new here. I've been reading up a bit and searching about the laws about having a 4BT in a newer vehicle.

I have a project I'm planning. I don't have the truck nor the engine but I plan on getting the truck first and seeing where I can go from there. I'm going to be swapping the 4BT into a 2000 Nissan Frontier, crew cab, 4wd with a 5 speed trans (if I can find one! lol). Long story short, I lived in Iceland, my father bought a 2000-ish Nissan Navara, same configuration as I mentioned, with the YD25 2.5TDI 4cylinder engine. It was beast of a truck. I loved it.

It was my fathers first truck he bought brand new in 2000, so it meant a lot to him. We then moved to Germany and in '05 my father died of cancer. That left my mother and I with the truck. We wanted to desperately bring it stateside to Louisiana but the shipping ports refused to even think about it because it was a foreign vehicle with a diesel engine in it. So, we ended up selling it. There were less than 50k kilometers (a little over 31k miles) and we ended up getting ripped in the end (sold it for less than half it's value) but it was the best decision being we were moving only about a year after that.

And then we ended up here. I'm a car fanatic, I have a 1999 GMC Sierra regular cab short bed which I've been turning into a sport truck since I've gotten it in 06. I've been going to quite a few car shows as of this past year. I plan to go to a few more this year.

I'm wanting to build this Nissan Frontier as a memoriam to my father. I want to be able to drive it every day, take it to shows, even haul my Sierra with it if it's possible.

I have questions about doing the swap, the legalities (even though it comes down to state and local enforcement). I have seen on eBay Nissan engines in the past but I don't see them anymore (at least the one that I'm wanting). So I'm resorting to a 4BT swap now as many I have talked to have referred to doing it. I will ask my questions later. On to the pictures of the Navara we had!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by navarajon View Post
    Long story short, I lived in Iceland, my father bought a 2000-ish Nissan Navara, same configuration as I mentioned, with the YD25 2.5TDI 4cylinder engine. It was beast of a truck. I loved it.

It was my fathers first truck he bought brand new in 2000, so it meant a lot to him. We then moved to Germany and in '05 my father died of cancer. That left my mother and I with the truck. We wanted to desperately bring it stateside to Louisiana but the shipping ports refused to even think about it because it was a foreign vehicle with a diesel engine in it. So, we ended up selling it. There were less than 50k kilometers (a little over 31k miles) and we ended up getting ripped in the end (sold it for less than half it's value) but it was the best decision being we were moving only about a year after that.

I'm wanting to build this Nissan Frontier as a memoriam to my father. I want to be able to drive it every day, take it to shows, even haul my Sierra with it if it's possible.

I have questions about doing the swap, the legalities (even though it comes down to state and local enforcement). I have seen on eBay Nissan engines in the past but I don't see them anymore (at least the one that I'm wanting). So I'm resorting to a 4BT swap now as many I have talked to have referred to doing it. I will ask my questions later.
    have you never thought about try to import an yd25 from mexico where it's still avaliable brand-new? you could also check some of those jdm importers if you find one in your area... btw have you never considered some smaller engines easier to fit than a 4bt, such as a mercedes-benz or even a vw tdi?
    http://formspring.me/kamikazeondrugz

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

New Registered User
    Thanks

I knew the TD27s were down south but I didn't know the YD25s were available in the southern countries. There is a shop that builds/orders performance engine JDM and domestic so I might can see if they can get a YD25.

The MB diesel hadn't crossed my mind, mainly I would think they are as complicated as their gasser counterparts. A VW diesel I had though about but but I'm not sure if it would have enough oomphf to do what I need.

Thanks

I knew the TD27s were down south but I didn't know the YD25s were available in the southern countries. There is a shop that builds/orders performance engine JDM and domestic so I might can see if they can get a YD25.

The MB diesel hadn't crossed my mind, mainly I would think they are as complicated as their gasser counterparts. A VW diesel I had though about but but I'm not sure if it would have enough oomphf to do what I need.
    in some countries you can even still get a brand-new td27... i like it, but a yd25 would probably be easier to meet your requirements... a vw wouldn't be bad too, but newer ones have too much electronics to deal with... if i would really need to mess with electronics i would prefer a nissan setup, that would be nearly plug n play...

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

New Registered User
    Thanks

I love this idea ... especially given the story. I also agree it would be cool to keep it in the Nissan family, if possible. There are some LD28 motors floating around the US, from mid-eighties Maximas. If you can find one of those, it may be a decent candidate (with no import hassle); though I've heard they can be hard to come by given their cranks are desireable for the Z-car folks to build stroker motors.

I did see one (an LD28) once upon a time (online ... never did find a build thread or documentation, just saw it for sale) that was swapped into a 70s era Nissan Z, they claimed to have put a turbo kit on it from the 280zx gasser (L28 motor?) ... from the pictures it certainly looked the part; but again, I don't know any of the details. Just thought it could be an idea for you.

Are you planning to try and SAS/lift as well? Or just run the diesel swap? I have some ideas kicking around for a similar build that I'd love to do ... just need the time & space (who doesn't? )

I'll be following what you're doing, for sure ... good luck!

New Registered User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skibum315 View Post
    I love this idea ... especially given the story. I also agree it would be cool to keep it in the Nissan family, if possible. There are some LD28 motors floating around the US, from mid-eighties Maximas. If you can find one of those, it may be a decent candidate (with no import hassle); though I've heard they can be hard to come by given their cranks are desireable for the Z-car folks to build stroker motors.

I did see one (an LD28) once upon a time (online ... never did find a build thread or documentation, just saw it for sale) that was swapped into a 70s era Nissan Z, they claimed to have put a turbo kit on it from the 280zx gasser (L28 motor?) ... from the pictures it certainly looked the part; but again, I don't know any of the details. Just thought it could be an idea for you.

Are you planning to try and SAS/lift as well? Or just run the diesel swap? I have some ideas kicking around for a similar build that I'd love to do ... just need the time & space (who doesn't? )

I'll be following what you're doing, for sure ... good luck!
    Yeah I want to stay in the Nissan family for sure but if I absolutely can't find anything I'll resort to doing a different brand engine. I have though about lifting it but I think I will want to keep it stock for the most part. Maybe upgrade a few things but that's about.

I have seen an RD28 (I think?) on eBay as of late but I really want to stick to a 4 cylinder. Nothing beats the sound of a 4 cylinder diesel verses a 6 cylinder, that's just my opinion though.
    Last edited by navarajon; 02-05-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks

I have seen an RD28 (I think?) on eBay as of late but I really want to stuck to a 4 cylinder. Nothing beats the sound of a 4 cylinder diesel verses a 6 cylinder, that's just my opinion though.
    ebay? probably it was an ld28 instead of rd28... i agree with you about stuck with a 4cyl, but i must confess i like 6cyls...

New Registered User
    Thanks

I did ebay again it was the RD28.

I want to be as original as possible. If a YD25 and can go right in with a few modifications I'd like to do it!

Just searching I've found a couple places out of state. I'll have to keep looking.

Thanks

I did ebay again it was the RD28.

I want to be as original as possible. If a YD25 and can go right in with a few modifications I'd like to do it!

Just searching I've found a couple places out of state. I'll have to keep looking.
    either the yd25 or the td27 would be easier to fit than the rd28...

New Registered User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
    either the yd25 or the td27 would be easier to fit than the rd28...
    Yeah. I'll really just have to ask or look around and see if anyone can get the engine.

I think the hardest part would probably be fabbing stuff up for the fuel system, and ripping out the wiring harness for the gas engine and tuning the PCM for the diesel tune.

Thanks

I think the hardest part would probably be fabbing stuff up for the fuel system, and ripping out the wiring harness for the gas engine and tuning the PCM for the diesel tune.
    if you go with a mechanically-injected engine and manual tranny it will be easy... with a common-rail it would already come with its own ecm (and you could also have the in-tank pump compatible with the engine)...

+ Reply to Thread