Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Glow Plugs not working

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mytimeyet 
#1 ·
I'm new to the site and hope someone can help. I have a 1995 W4 with the 4BD2T, as best as I can tell. The glow plugs have no power to them and the engine won't start. If I shoot starting fluid into it, it will fire and run fine. It will restart fine as long as the engine is still warm. I downloaded the manual from a link I found in a thread and it shows a fusible link coming off the starter going to the 2 relays in the box on the left framerail. Don't seem to have power there. Anyone know where the fusible link is located? I asked the Chevy dealer (they do commercial trucks) and they had no idea. I also saw where it was mentioned you could run a wire through a "ford" starter relay to the glow plugs, using a fuse. What size fuse would you guess? I have owned this truck for 3 weeks and it has been an adventure!! Any help would be appreciated!

#2 ·
From the manual, it looks like the fuseable link that supplies power to the two glow plug relays is located just ahead of the starter and is wired directly to the 12 volt terminal on the starter. I would encourage you to try and get the OE glow plug system working if you can rather than bypass it.

Attachments

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. What year manual did you get this picture from? My fuse/relay box mounted to the frame by the batteries hase one fuse and 2 relays in it. There are 3 wires coming off the starter. I will try to chase down where they go. I would love to get the OEM circuit working and have been looking for a manual. I have owned this truck for about 3 weeks and it's been a pain! The wife says it's got to go and I don't want to put any $$ into it. I will try to check this weekend.

#4 ·
It came from an Isuzu Commercial Truck factory manual for 1995. It covers NPR and W4 diesel trucks. I also have a supplement for 1995.5 models. Couldn't tell you what changed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.