Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

CA gas to diesel conv, how hard to reg?

18K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Jubel jubel freu freu 
#1 · (Edited)
i want to buy a 2st gen suburban 88-91 and put a 12v cummons in it but i don't know if you can still convert a gas to a diesel in CA with all the new diesel smog laws. Does anyone know the rules in CA on this matter?

#4 ·
as long as the diesel engine is the same year or newer than the suburban, and it is a high-way certified engine, ( no tractor or gen. set engine) from a dodge pick-up, you can convert from gas to diesel. if the suburban is `97 or older, it will be smog exempt after the swap is certified at a DMV office, or by a smog referee. I`ve done 4 swaps, and had 3 of`em certified at the local DMV office, and the last on by a smog referee ( the DMV office was closed for re-modeling), all of `em are Bi-annual smog exempt. most cummins engines from `88 to `98 had no smog equipment on them. some `96 and newer california engines had egr on them and if you get one of these the egr must be on the engine and working. if you have any doubts, call your local smog referee.

#7 · (Edited)
I talked to the referee that has a shop at the college I retired from. he told me what I put in my first post. Do not make waves, and ask 88 million questions. after he certifies the swap in the DMV computer, you take your pink slip to DMV and they will issue a new one with the motive power changed from gas to diesel.

#6 ·
jtamulonis..........That is good to know, was it a big hassle or was it pretty straight forward dealing with thw DMV...........Did you have to make an appointment with the referee?
What part of socal are you in. would you be avalible to speak on the phone about these conversion?..................

#8 ·
it was really easy with the referee and DMV. you make an appointment with either one, they look under the hood to see that there`s really a diesel in the vehicle, and enter it into the DMV computer. Done. the referee checked the tag on the timing case and was satisfied. the DMV lady just looked to see that it was a diesel. I live in s. cal. shoot me a PM.

#10 ·
Yes you can do it. Last year I switched my 1991 3/4 4x4 suburban. I had to go to a referee. He wanted ALL the computer and sensors as well as the heating grid installed. It took two trips to satisfy his requirements. I was told that the vehicle had to be of a similar GVW.. Mine is 8600GVW and the Dodge truck that I robbed the running gear out of was 8900GVW. A quick check of the data plate on the cummins, wiring, and vin check and we were done. The DMV was confused even with the excemption number from the referee. After a few calls to Sacramento they issued a new pink and a new fuel change registration. I was told, that the laws are going to keep changing, and to get the swap done soon.......
I live near Fresno, CA. Good luck, and like a previous poster said , DO NOT make waves or get upset. The referee has the ability to stop all further paperwork, and then you have to call a state rep. and fill a grevience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.