Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

4-53; 1950 Chevy 3800

67K views 169 replies 29 participants last post by  454cid 
#1 ·

got this for really cheap otherwise it would have been scrapped, still runs great and had a new water pump put on it, eventually would like to put it in a late 40's or early 50s chevy 1 ton flatbed, curious if anyone has any info on bellhousings etc. to mate a sm 465 to it?

See less See more
#2 ·
Sure, You can learn a lot about your proposed swap by looking at my pictures:
http://rides.webshots.com/album/483943098JelLUj

I have installed a 4-53T in a 48 Chevy 2 ton, still have work to do, but the hard part is done. I also have a 52 1 ton, and the swap would be identical as the front of the frame measures the same.

About a flywheel housing to fit an SM420 or SM465. The 3-53 in a Gamma Goat military "truck" used an SM420. The flywheel housing from one of those engines is the easiest way to put one of those transmissions on your 4-53. The flywheel housings from a 2-53, 3-53, and 4-53 are interchangeable.

Looks like you have an industrial engine, it probably has a variable speed governor. It will work in a vehicle, but a limiting speed governor would be a better choice. You can use one from the 2, 3, or 4 cylinder as long as it comes from the same side of the engine.

Grigg

#3 ·
Note that the blower is on the right side(passenger side in north America) of the engine you have. The Gama Goat setup has the blower on the left side. There may be a starter clearance issue with putting a GG bell housing on this engine as the starter on the GG housing would be on the right side and thus the starter may not clear the blower. Usually, Detroit put the starter opposite the blower on the inline engines(as is the case with your engine here).

You have an SAE flywheel housing there, likely a #2. This enables many smaller medium duty transmissions to be mounted to that housing. The Spicer 3053(5-speed) variants would mount and are available due to mil surplus from 2.5 ton 6x6. Another would be the IH T3x 5-speeds; close, wide, and OD versions available.

You may find more info about Detroit swaps at the 'DetroitDiesel' group at yahoo groups.

Ken

#8 ·
Note that the blower is on the right side(passenger side in north America) of the engine you have. The Gama Goat setup has the blower on the left side. There may be a starter clearance issue with putting a GG bell housing on this engine as the starter on the GG housing would be on the right side and thus the starter may not clear the blower. Usually, Detroit put the starter opposite the blower on the inline engines(as is the case with your engine here).
If my memory serves me correctly, that is a reverse-rotation engine, rotation on a Detroit is determined by gear placement and if the blower is on the passenger side it'll make it reverse-rotation. They are, however, easy to switch around, hell the block can be switched front for back!

CD

#5 ·
Ken,
On my 4-53T the starter and blower are both on the left side, same with all the late 70's 4-53T engines used in Chevy and GMC trucks.
here are a few pictures of mine:

I looked at a GG engine a few weeks ago, Just looked at the pictures I took of it, and went out and looked at my 4-53...

I am pretty sure he can using the Gama Goat flywheel housing (to fit GM 4 speed SM420, SM465, or a 5 speed T5 transmission). Although I think for some reason the Gama Goat uses a different starter, 24 volts I know, but not sure about the bolt pattern. If you can confirm that your old starter fits the GG housing I see know reason why you can't switch the two housings.

Grigg

#6 ·
That's good to know Grigg, thanks for the info and pics. I have an SAE #2 flywheel housing for inline 53 series that I would like to put on a GG engine and I was concerned about a possible blower/starter interference issue. Looks like from your photo I needn't worry about that anymore.

Now I'm a bit confused on why I was thinking there was a problem there.

Thanks again,

Ken

#7 ·
Ken,
I guess there is a chance the GG housing has the starter mounted higher up and there could be a problem?
Although from the pictures of GG engines that I have I think it will be OK.
Let us know what you find.
Grigg

#9 ·
If he would post a model number of his 4-53 we could decode it to tell if it is right hand rotation, but my guess is that it is.
The Gama goat engine is regular rotation (right hand).

Blower can be on either side and engine can turn either way independent of blower placement. It's the placement of the idler gear that determines rotation, the blower is driven from the cam, (or balance shaft) gear, and no matter engine rotation those two shafts turn the same way.

Grigg

#10 · (Edited)
i know its a been a while, but i recently moved up to PA, down here for the holidays, got the Model# 5043-7201, Unit# 4D-29373, im leaning more towards a reverse rotation, engine was facing backwards in the loader, but i could be wrong

#11 ·
...5043-7201...
My 53 series book has this to say about this model number:

5 = 53 series
04 = number of cylinders
3 = fan to flywheel - industrial application
7 = right hand rotation (counter clockwise as viewed from flywheel end), exhaust manifold opposite side of blower, blower on the right(as viewed from flywheel end)
2 = 4 valve head, non-"N" engine, non-turbo
01 = starter opposite side of blower

So it's a 'standard' rotation engine according to the model number.

Ken

#13 ·
#14 ·
well i got a hold of this guy in WA who has 5 gamma goat motors, i ordered everything from the flywheel housing to the trans bell housing, just need to finy an old chevy truck is the next big thing

#20 ·
Update

finally received everything from the GG flywheel housing to the transmission, the starter is on the opposite side though with a 3 bolt pattern, im hoping i can stick with the original housing thats on it, since they do have the same bolt pattern, flywheels are same diameter, hopefully both housings are the same depth, i am still in the process of moving stuff up here, ill post pics soon

#23 ·
I'm trying to remember, I did a huge amount of research into 3-53s about a decade ago in preparation for an M37 swap that never got off the ground for a variety of reasons.
Most of what I remember is:
GG 3-53 engines have a lot of block-related issues, but they're cheap.
2-valve industrial 3-53 engines are even less expensive.
Buying both and a gasket set (and possibly an overhaul kit) will build a million mile iron-block automotive engine by putting all the GG parts on the iron block.

Goats were noted for losing engines with less than 5,000 miles on them due to liner issues, I'm not sure if it was caused by structural issues or lack of/bad antifreeze 30-40 years ago. A lot of surplussed Goats were repowered with gas SBC engines. But then the Goat is what happens when designers are given an unlimited budget and some rather creative specifications...

CD

#24 ·
...Buying both and a gasket set (and possibly an overhaul kit) will build a million mile iron-block automotive engine by putting all the GG parts on the iron block...
...the Goat is what happens when designers are given an unlimited budget and some rather creative specifications...
That's a very good point. Though I would note the GG dual oil pump and pan setup won't mount to the iron block. I'd be fine with a standard oil pump/sump arrangement though.

And again, very good point.

Ken

#25 ·
just as a quick hijack, a 4-53T came up relatively cheap here. i googled it and it said 1300 lbs ! is this right ? it also said 175hp. does anyone know what the torque rating is and what the mileage would be like ? assuming apropriate gearing and 5000ish lbs.

#26 ·
The HP souds about right, the weight I believe is just under 1200 lbs but that all depends on what accesories are installed. The Torque should be around 400 ft lbs I believe at 1800 rpm.
Someone correct me if I am wrong.

#30 ·
Correct, in a light truck with a 53T you should shoot for about 1800 rpm (peak torque rpm) at cruising speed. Much more than 6,000 or 7,000 lb, and also depending on the hills, you will probably want/need a few hundred more RPM.

In a 5,000 lb truck driven easy at about 65 mph and 1,800 rpm with 4-53T you should see 20 mpg, some folks say even more. In regular everyday use don't be surprised if it is around 15 mpg, and towing it could be 10-13.

My truck I estimate will be 7,000-8,000 lb, and I will be pleased with 16 mpg, but have hopes for 18-20 on occasion, and I'm expecting 12-13 when towing.

Grigg

#36 ·
I'm a Detroit enthusiast but I must say that it's best to consider weight instead of displacement when comparing a Detroit's power output. That puts the 4-53 in good standing but not great. Detroit's are great for other reasons.

As to efficiency, the nature of the port/valve timing is a significant factor in the higher BSFC, in my opinion. The exhaust valves have to open before uncovering the intake ports and thus more of that last little bit of 'oomph' goes out the exhaust than in 4-strokes which leave the exhaust valve(s) closed longer. The early exhaust event is also part of the DD's reputation for noise production. Don't take this for gospel, just my own thoughts on the matter and as always I welcome any elightenment, especially if correcting some mistaken thought of my own.

Ken

#37 ·
Another contributing factor to the noise is the blower, particularly the straight lobes on all the 53 series (with exception of the 8V53). The 6V53 is supposed to be the nosiest Detroit of all, the 4-53 is none to quiet either..

Grigg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.