4-53; 1950 Chevy 3800 - Page 2
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 4-53; 1950 Chevy 3800

Thanks

thanks guys.
    It pulls like a 14 year old with a playboy !

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Isuzu Diesel Innkeeper
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by briney View Post
    so gearing wise, similar to the cummins stuff ? i.e 1800 ish rpm at my target speed ? and what sort of mileage ?
    I found a BSFC plot for these engines once, it suggests fuel consumption will be around 20% worse than a cummins 4BT or Isuzu 4BD1T producing the same power.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    I found a BSFC plot for these engines once, it suggests fuel consumption will be around 20% worse than a cummins 4BT or Isuzu 4BD1T producing the same power.
    it seems to me the 175hp/400 fat alberts would be more along the lines of a 6BT ? if so, consumption sounds similar. i am amazed by these engines and their output from such a small capacity. if what i believe is correct, a 4-53 is 4 53 cu.in cylinders. which means 212 cubes total or 3.4 litres. i guess being 2 stroke helps.

Isuzu Diesel Innkeeper
    Thanks

it seems to me the 175hp/400 fat alberts would be more along the lines of a 6BT ? if so, consumption sounds similar. i am amazed by these engines and their output from such a small capacity. if what i believe is correct, a 4-53 is 4 53 cu.in cylinders. which means 212 cubes total or 3.4 litres. i guess being 2 stroke helps.
    BSFC is the amount of fuel it takes to produce each kwh of output. The BSFC curves for the 4-53 showed them being around 20% less efficient than a 4BT or 6BT cummins.
    Meaning they're going to use around 20% more fuel to do the same job.

Thanks

oh ok. i get it now. still impressive power for a little donk.

Thanks

I'm a Detroit enthusiast but I must say that it's best to consider weight instead of displacement when comparing a Detroit's power output. That puts the 4-53 in good standing but not great. Detroit's are great for other reasons.

As to efficiency, the nature of the port/valve timing is a significant factor in the higher BSFC, in my opinion. The exhaust valves have to open before uncovering the intake ports and thus more of that last little bit of 'oomph' goes out the exhaust than in 4-strokes which leave the exhaust valve(s) closed longer. The early exhaust event is also part of the DD's reputation for noise production. Don't take this for gospel, just my own thoughts on the matter and as always I welcome any elightenment, especially if correcting some mistaken thought of my own.

Ken

Detroit Section Caretaker Grigg's Avatar
    Thanks

Another contributing factor to the noise is the blower, particularly the straight lobes on all the 53 series (with exception of the 8V53). The 6V53 is supposed to be the nosiest Detroit of all, the 4-53 is none to quiet either..

Grigg
    1948 Chevrolet 6400 (2 ton) updated with a Detroit Diesel Silver 4-53T and Roadranger RTO-6610 --click for all my pictures--
    "First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-

Thanks

I went to the BilletLess show in Antioch Ca. over the weekend. There was a chopped '56 Ford Pickup with a huge tank in the bed and a single stack behind the drivers door...

Upon closer inspection, there was a rather large lump under the hood.... Imagine my surprise when it revealed itself...

Unfortunately, I didn't get to hear it scream!

Thanks

That's different. Looks like it even has independent front suspension, wonder what from?
    Curious what his mileage is? Range should be pretty good with that size tank, guessing 70+ gallons?

Grigg
    1948 Chevrolet 6400 (2 ton) updated with a Detroit Diesel Silver 4-53T and Roadranger RTO-6610 --click for all my pictures--
    "First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-

Thanks

wow that thing is nice
    1950 chevy 3800 453T Detroit Diesel
    2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD

Thanks

Talking

i was there too, and it had a great sound!!
    ed

Thanks

in australia we have a burnout truck called the bandag bullet. it has 2 8V92's in it. i saw it today on the back of its transporter. the transporter must be 8/92 as well. sounded cool accelerating out of town !

Thanks

well finally got a truck, im putting the 1 ton chevy 4wd axles in it that i had left over form another project

heres some pics

2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD

Thanks

Truck looks like a 48-50 one ton Chevy right?

With those axles the wheels will stick out of the fenders a good bit, is that OK?

Browse through my 4-53T diesel conversion webshots album, as what I have done to fit the 4-53T in my 48 two ton is about the same stuff you will encounter with your engine swap, the engine compartments and front portion of the frames are all but the same between our two trucks. It's going to be a lot of work.

What are your plans for the truck, how will you use it?

Grigg

Isuzu Diesel Innkeeper
    Thanks

in australia we have a burnout truck called the bandag bullet. it has 2 8V92's in it. i saw it today on the back of its transporter. the transporter must be 8/92 as well. sounded cool accelerating out of town !
    That thing is still going?
    I remember seeing it go around 20 years ago.
    Isuzu 4BD1T Junkie.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grigg View Post
    Truck looks like a 48-50 one ton Chevy right?

With those axles the wheels will stick out of the fenders a good bit, is that OK?

Browse through my 4-53T diesel conversion webshots album, as what I have done to fit the 4-53T in my 48 two ton is about the same stuff you will encounter with your engine swap, the engine compartments and front portion of the frames are all but the same between our two trucks. It's going to be a lot of work.

What are your plans for the truck, how will you use it?

Grigg
    its a 50 1 ton, i plan on using it as more of a work truck, most likely i will have to trim the fenders to get tire clearence with those axles, yeah its not going to be easy
    2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD

Thanks

yep, he was at an agricultural fair in broken hill a couple of years ago.

Thanks

Wouldn't be a guy by the name of Tyrone Mallone driving it would it? We had a guy come up here from the South 48 states with a truck for exhibition, IIRC it had a V12 Detroit in it (the one he brought) but he supposedly had a twin engined one stateside (and a jet powered one too for that matter ).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nexxussian View Post
    Wouldn't be a guy by the name of Tyrone Mallone driving it would it? We had a guy come up here from the South 48 states with a truck for exhibition, IIRC it had a V12 Detroit in it (the one he brought) but he supposedly had a twin engined one stateside (and a jet powered one too for that matter ).
    no, different bloke. 2 8v92's joined together.

Thanks

no, different bloke. 2 8v92's joined together.
    OH MY.

Figured the possibility was slim, opposite end of the pacific and all.
    Erik
    Isuzu Nut
    Deviant that's keeping the NPR (with the engine).
    http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9646
    '94 4BD2-TC, HY35W (early) with 3" exhaust & exhaust brake, 'more power screw' maxed, defuel turned up, pump turned up internally by accident.

Thanks

hey its been a while, i got my engine cleaned up, and im trying to plan the mock up, but i have a small issue with the gamma goat flywheel housing i got. im putting the sm 420 that i got with it in this truck, though the mounts hang a little too low. i dont know whether to hack them off or if theres a way i can still use the flywheel housing thats on there problem with that is that its too deep, heres some pics, i know theyre a little dark, ill try and get some better ones

gama goat flywheel housing

GG flywheel

original flywheel housing

GG sm 420 bellhousing
    Last edited by tankoma; 01-29-2009 at 08:22 PM.
    2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD

Thanks

bellhousing and trans
    2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD

Thanks

It might be best to find an SAE to GM pattern clutch housing to use with that transmission and the flywheel housing you have now, then use the side mounts on the flywheel housing, and not use the GG parts.
    Or if you do use it are there some unused bolt holes on both sides of the block that could be used for side engine mounts?

Will a direct drive 4 speed accomplish what you want to do with the truck? Or will you be better off with another gear or two and an OD?

--edit-- Looking back I did recommend the GG parts as an easy way to mount the SM420 on a Detroit, and they are.. What I didn't know or think of is there could be problems with engine mounts..
    Also it was only a few months ago that I learned of the SAE#3 clutch housing to adapt to a GM manual transmission. This clutch housing/adapter would let you use the SAE flywheel housing engine mounts.
    Goes to show there's more than one way to skin a cat (or a Detroit)

Grigg
    Last edited by Grigg; 01-29-2009 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grigg View Post
    Goes to show there's more than one way to skin a cat (or a Detroit)
    Grigg
    And for the 3rd and 4th way..
    This is a Detroit "two piece automotive" rear engine/gear cover and bellhousing.

Above is the large GM version (click and see more views of it) It also fits a small Spicer transmission, possibly others.
    Below is the small GM version

Both have the SM420 or SM465 bolt pattern, the center hole diameter is usually 5.125, which fits the SM465 and T5 transmissions among others.
    The flat gear cover is the same for both. The special Detroit made bellhousings interchange, but different flywheels are used.
    The flywheel for the small GM two piece automotive housing is supposed to be the same as used on the Gama Goat engine.
    Detroit also made a bellhousing to use ford transmissions with this system.

Thanks

Whew... we sure have a lot of trans options with an inline 53 series Detroit. Also, you're steadily becoming quite the repository of Detroit swap info Grigg, keep up the good work.

I've got a start on my setup, SAE#2 flywheel housing, #2 clutch housing and rebuilt OD and DD versions of the IH light-med duty 5-speed(T34 and T35).

I also have a #4 clutch housing for NP pattern(actually the whole setup with an NP4530 close-ratio 4-speed), so if there is a #4 flywheel housing for the 53 series then there's another option out there. Can't use a very big clutch with #4 but it'd do for a 3 or 2-53.

Ken

Thanks

cool thanks for the info guys, ill try and work with this thing if i can if not, try and search for another flywheel housing, my original plan was to convert my truck to 4wd, hence the t case drive shaft would intersect thru the motor mount, also Grigg, what kind of hydro boost system are you running? thanks again
    2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD

Thanks

here are some photos of where im at on my 3800, i came up with the idea of removing the rubber mounts on the bellhousing and fabricating a crossmember, then having the rubber mounts on the crossmember to the frame, almost making the crossmember part of the bellhousing and some better pics of the bellhousing/flywheel, etc

2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD

Thanks

the truck before

old motor
    2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD

Thanks

I used a hydrobooster and MC form a 2004 F350, and I have disc large brakes front and rear. I modified the pedal bracket to fit it, but next time I'll make a bracket to mount the booster and MC inside the frame rail a good bit behind the pedal assembly then run a longer pushrod back to it.

Have you planned your exhaust yet? You probably don't want the blower and the exhaust on the same side, it may be tight on room getting the exhaust out of the engine compartment. Also would be helpful to have the starter on the opposite side from the exhaust.

Grigg

Thanks

Yeah I was thinking about that as well, right now the way it will be set up is the starter and blower are on the pass side, the exhaust manifold I have now was originally facing upward, I was thinking of turning it upside down, but I would then have to machine a spacer to clear the head
    2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD

+ Reply to Thread