M5R2 max torque specs.
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: M5R2 max torque specs.

Thanks

Default M5R2 max torque specs.

I know this has been kicked around on here a few times, but I'm wondering if anyone ever figured out the breaking point of the stock clutch on the M5R2. I know the hp is not a worry but I really don't know where I am at as far as torque on my truck and subconsiously I am starting to drive like a little old lady.

Some people say the tranny is set up for 250#'s and no mas. Then some people say it can handle 350+ torque.

Has anyone beefed up the clutch and beaten on it?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Lonno; 04-25-2011 at 04:49 PM.
    1970 F250 Crewcab SB. VE 4bt. M5R2, Hx30/Hx35 Twins, 40hp stix, DennyT stage 2 pin, Intercooled, 3200 gov spring, Starwheel cranked, smoke screw screwed, M&H dynamic timing advance, Hydroboosted.http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...ins/index.html
    1991 Gillig Phantom, Converted transit bus. 6v92t Detroit Diesel, Allison 4 speed. 6500 watt Diesel gen on board.
    1998 Dodge Ram 2500 12v, 4"TB, 4gsk, BHAF, TST Spring, AFC tuned. Stockish.

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

i have a stock clutch, but i also have a somewhat stock engine. Only things done are the starwheel and smoke screw so far and i beat on the clutch a decent amount with no problems....i wouldnt be able to tell you about that much torque till next year haha paint and SAS are first on the list before perfomance mods
    94 Ranger 3.9L Cummins
    99 F-350 CC DRW 7.3L
    92 D-350 12V

4BT-Ranger Build Thread

Thanks

I have a stock clutch behind my 4bt and haven't had any issues, even when towing--my 4bt has a fuel pin, gov spring, and fuel screw adjustments. Ive actually been surprised as to how well the clutch as done--I kinda expected to have to put a heavier-duty one in.
    Jordan
    '95 Ford F-150 4x4 -- 4bt, M5R2 Buildup Thread
    "If it ain't broke, mess with it 'till it is"

Thanks

My stock "performance" clutch held up to about 600 ft-lb if I was really careful. NO BOOSTED LAUNCHES OR POWERSHIFTS!!

At 450 ft-lbs or so you can still burn it if you're not careful when you're trying to start burnouts from a dead stop. But if you're a semi-reasonable driver it'll last quite awhile.
    93 Ford Ranger Supercab
    4BT ZF5 NP205 8.8 and D35 with 3.73 gears
    P3000, marine 370 pistons, marine 370 injectors, 191 DV's, 4K GS's Colt Stage 3 "Big Stick" cam, #0 plate full forward, HX35/HE351 hybrid, custom header, ebay intercooler, 4" straight pipe exhaust

Next: head studs, o-rings, bigger injectors, pump work, HE351VE or compound HX35/HX55

+ Reply to Thread