cruise control on a 4bt?
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cruise control on a 4bt?

Thanks

Default cruise control on a 4bt?

I am going with a 4bt motor in my 89 k5 blazer and an nv4500 tranny. i want to have cruise control but not sure how to go about it. I have a stock 1997 dodge ram cummins cruise control thing with the cable and all just dont know how to make it work.... it deffinatley runs off vaccume so that is not a problem and the cable hooks into the throttle linkage so that shouldnt be a problem. I just need to know how to control it. It has a plug on it that has the electical part. that is where im stumped. I would be happy just to have the on off function work(i dont need the slow or accel feature just on or off.) Anyone here have any first hand knolwedge on how to make on of these work? thank you all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

I'm no expert here on this stuff but did your truck come with factory cruise control? It will probably be easier to adapt your gm cruise control servo to the cummins if it did. Its what I plan on doing.
    84 Chevy K30 Crew Cab, 6BT, NV5600, NP205
    Build pics: http://photobucket.com/jishory

Thanks

yeah it did, and i still have the gm cruise stuff as well. guess ill just have to see what i need to do to make either of them work..... The gm one off the stock 350 set up that was in it looks simple enough.....

Thanks

If you are sucessful please elaborate on how you made it work. I have a cruise control on my 6.2 diesel and would like to convert it to the 4bt when (and if) I convert.

Thanks,
    Tim

Thanks

I have a 1989 Dodge Ramcharger with a 4BT. The truck had a cruise unit in the originally.
    That should have made it a snap to modify and use except that the speed control module was broken. It was cheaper and easier to purchase a cruise unit from Brandon Distribution (brandondist.com). Your Dodge unit needs to have the computer from that year model and most of the correct inputs for it to control the vehicle speed. It is not a stand alone cruise unit. The computer actually gets the inputs from the switches on the steering wheel and controls the vacuum by opening and closing little electronic solenoids in the housing with the vacuum tubing going to it. The the computer is also getting an input from the transmission telling it that it is in drive, the dash mounted OD switch and the Vehicle speed sensor.
    I have also put a 1993 6bta in place of a 454 in a RV motor home and even with the complete wiring harness and input devices the cruise still does not work. Sorry I tend to get long winded.
    Good Luck not saying it cant be done.

Thanks

My bronco has cruise(throttle) but when you tap the brakes not a damn thing happens. Would like to have a real cruise control.
    69 Bronco 4bt/IC/HE221, NP435/203/205, 3.54 D60s OX locker F and Detroit R, military H1 beadlocks and 38" rubber
    "sealing the deal on this forum section as a whole..(and/or his entire membership here){which has been an issue before}ps: you were warned.... Redhedbronco reported for vulgarity character attack."-47Ford-1.5Ton Rats dwell here.
    Please, Drifter, don't give me any more advice because I can't afford it and I don't want to destroy my engine or truck.-JimmieD

Thanks

if you have a vac pump most aftermarket units should work, with enough work.....

Thanks

The GM cruise in the vehicle will be the easier way to go. But as stated above, you will need to supply the computer with the right inputs to control the system (speed sensor info, brake switch at minimum) and a source of vacuum for the solenoid to work from. An aftermarket unit might be the easier (and possibly only) way to go depending on how much the computer is integrated into the factory cruise control.

Thanks

I agree with the others that adapting your GM cruise control or going with an outside stand alone system would be the easiest. On my '95 F150, I just used all the factory stuff for the 302 and adapted/made the brackets hook the cables up to the Cummins throttle and it works great--perhaps you can do the same with the GM?
    Jordan
    '95 Ford F-150 4x4 -- 4bt, M5R2 Buildup Thread
    "If it ain't broke, mess with it 'till it is"

Thanks

Thank you guys for the ideas... i am going to go ahead and try the stock 350 gm cruise control... i will keep the stock computor and all that good stuff intact so hopfully it will all work. I am going to either go with the dodge ram 12v vaccume/powersteering combo or just do a standalone 12volt vaccume pump out of a superduty or somthing like that so vaccume for the cruise shouldnt be an issue.

Thanks

I bought a complete stand alone unit from Flaming River. It is electrically driven it is a simple install. It was about $275. I haven't used it yet as my vehicle is not drivable yet but I know it will work, because all you hook up is the control module on the turn sig lever, an input on the rear driveshaft, and mount the servo to the firewall, and the actuation cable along side the throttle cable with a flexible connection so you can override the throttle setting by just pushing the gas pedal. There is also a connection to the brakelite switch for the cancel function.

I just told you the whole program, it is too simple to not work.

It was worth $275 to not have to go thru the issues you are having trying get mismatched components to function correctly. This is a universal kit that is used on many hotrods.

Randy
    DeScrambler: Built from scratch, 4BT,TH400, USGear OD, Atlas 4.3, HP D44/ 4.10 ARB, HP D60/4.10 ARB, 37" MTR's

It's not how well you do what you know how to do.

It's how well you do, what you don't know how to do.

Thanks

I'm running the factory 6.2 cruise on my crewcab with the cummins. I did use a servo from a 90 gm vehicle with the 3.8 v6, as it has a cable on it that allows the servo to mount on the inner fender and run the cable over to where the trans cable used to mount in the bracket. simple and bulletproof. wouldn't do it any other way on a gm truck.
    88 Chevy Airforce crewcab. 6bt NV4500 valair clutch, modified 4k GSK
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
    72 Scout d60/14blt, 4bta
    http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...72-Scout-Build

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by K204DR View Post
    I'm running the factory 6.2 cruise on my crewcab with the cummins. I did use a servo from a 90 gm vehicle with the 3.8 v6, as it has a cable on it that allows the servo to mount on the inner fender and run the cable over to where the trans cable used to mount in the bracket. simple and bulletproof. wouldn't do it any other way on a gm truck.
    More info of this setup?

I am looking for the servo you are talking about, looks like they are all the same between all gms for several years, the difference being the way it is mounted and connected. Off to hunt in the junkyard...
    Last edited by Jishory; 12-15-2011 at 09:40 PM.
    84 Chevy K30 Crew Cab, 6BT, NV5600, NP205
    Build pics: http://photobucket.com/jishory

Thanks

post 13 of my build thread on wheelindixie shows a pic of it. its out of a 90's buick front wheel drive.
    88 Chevy Airforce crewcab. 6bt NV4500 valair clutch, modified 4k GSK
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
    72 Scout d60/14blt, 4bta
    http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...72-Scout-Build

Thanks

What would y'all suggest for putting cruise on a vehicle that didn't originally have it? My 70 Jeep truck is lacking in the cruise department and i would like to change that seeing as I will be driving back and for to Texas from Kentucky.

Thanks and Gig 'Em
    Lincoln Tucker
    Fightin' Texas Aggie class of 2015

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Logs0012 View Post
    What would y'all suggest for putting cruise on a vehicle that didn't originally have it? My 70 Jeep truck is lacking in the cruise department and i would like to change that seeing as I will be driving back and for to Texas from Kentucky.

Thanks and Gig 'Em
    Lincoln Tucker
    Fightin' Texas Aggie class of 2015
    you got vacuum?
    there are many after market options if you have vacuum, (try amazon)some will work on electric only, but more $$.
    99 Durango 4BTAA P pump, Glowshift gauges, hx30w9 (today), 3K GSK, custom ground 100 plate, AFC tuned, 96 47RE +billet single disc TC)

My Build thread

Thanks

1963 Jeep J300, 4BT/NV4500/NP200/D61/D71
    1969 Jeep M715 6x6 project, 6BTA/NV4500/NP205/D60/D70/D70

Thanks

Here is a little tid bit for you: All the ford and GM ELECTRIC cruise actuators (Mid 90's-late 2000) Are a self contained unit, The motor and controller are one weather-proof housing........

All you need is a wiring diagram and rig up a switch for it, all it looks for is a pulsed vss signal, it s not pickey with how many pulses, just that they get faster the faster you go.

These can be had at a u-pull it yard for almost nothing and are a hell of alot cheaper then the 2-300 those aftermarket ones cost.

Alot of those aftermarket ones use factory GM actuator units.
    "its a hell of alot easier to stand there and say this is what i want, here is money, make it happen, then it is to figure everything out and actually build something"

Thanks

Oh and a hand throttle with center cancel button (think PTO) works really sweet and is cheap and simple.............
    "its a hell of alot easier to stand there and say this is what i want, here is money, make it happen, then it is to figure everything out and actually build something"

+ Reply to Thread