Tachometer pickup
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tachometer pickup

Thanks

Default Tachometer pickup

I know that this topic has been beaten to death but I cannot find any solid information for my application through searching.

My application is a 6bt into a 71 chevy pickup with a new 22si alternator from an f800 high mount a/c application. I would like to use a stock chevy tach from a 67-72 chevy pickup. Can a 22si alternator be tapped for a tach signal that this tach will use or does it already have one?

I know my other options are to use pulses from the balancer using a pickup to read the machined slots in it or possibly a dakota digital pickup that reads the flywheel teeth.

I have heard some things about using HEI somehow to get the reading but I have no clue about this option.

Any help to simplify this would be great.

Thanks
    Derek

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

New Registered User
    Thanks

This is what I did. I used the pickup off of the 22si alternater and used a set of dakota digital gauges with a DSl-1 tach module. I wired the pickup from the alternator to the dsl-1 module than to the main gauge module. (the dsl-1 is adjustable.) when I first started my truck it read 1200rpm and than I adjusted it to 700. worked great. Call dakota and ask them if this dsl-1 module will work for the tach you have. (it is only 60 bucks or so). I get the impression from reading the instructions that it will work with just about any tach. Don't worry about the 4 cyl 8 cyl or pulses that just about every talks about. This thing is electronic and will sort it self out. PFM! P.S. for 60 bucks its worth a try. If it don't work sell it on ebay. But I'm 90 percent sure it should work.

Mark

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dfairchild19 View Post
    I know that this topic has been beaten to death but I cannot find any solid information for my application through searching.

My application is a 6bt into a 71 chevy pickup with a new 22si alternator from an f800 high mount a/c application. I would like to use a stock chevy tach from a 67-72 chevy pickup. Can a 22si alternator be tapped for a tach signal that this tach will use or does it already have one?

I know my other options are to use pulses from the balancer using a pickup to read the machined slots in it or possibly a dakota digital pickup that reads the flywheel teeth.

I have heard some things about using HEI somehow to get the reading but I have no clue about this option.

Any help to simplify this would be great.

Thanks
    Derek
    I just used a balancer pickup, you can get them in 4-pulse so they wire up and work with your stock tach.

Thanks

Go to tinytach.com. They have a digital tach for diesel applications, that has a transducer that clamps the #1 injector line and will read injector pulse to determine rpm. They are 95 bucks and tons of guys over on cumminsfourm have been using them for years. Also, have built in hr meter and backlit

+ Reply to Thread