Wiring Fuel Shutoff Solenoid and relay
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Wiring Fuel Shutoff Solenoid and relay

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Paris, MO
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Wiring Fuel Shutoff Solenoid and relay

    I have got a 6bt that I have got swapped into my 1984 Chevy Crew cab just finishing up some small details I got to get the fuel shut off solenoid hooked up I under stand the Relay and solenoid and all that but I cannot get my mind wrapped around how to hook it all up so it works properly I am just about to put a pull cable on it If somebody could walk me through it I would appreciate it very much

  2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    1,950
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 11 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yousesteers View Post
    I have got a 6bt that I have got swapped into my 1984 Chevy Crew cab just finishing up some small details I got to get the fuel shut off solenoid hooked up I under stand the Relay and solenoid and all that but I cannot get my mind wrapped around how to hook it all up so it works properly I am just about to put a pull cable on it If somebody could walk me through it I would appreciate it very much
    I know nothing of the shut off solenoid as a lot of non-dodge vehicles didn't have them..... for reference for other forum members hes takling about the dodge shut off solenoid found on the P7100 pump... not the fuel shut off on the VE pump........

    (otherwise if you are talking about a VE pump... I know of no way to 'hook up a pull cable' so I'm assuming your talking about a dodge 6bt with a p7100 pump)
    1966 Chevy C-10 Shortbed Fleetside
    5.3L LM7/4L60e LSx swap
    Project 1966 C10 LSx Build Thread - 67-72 truck forum

    **OLD**1947 Ford 1.5 Ton DRW
    Cummins 6BT P7100 - HE341 Turbo
    Eaton Fuller RT-6610 10 speed - 4 Link Rear / IFS/4whl Disc/all on air

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Elizabeth Lake, CA
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    I had this written down on a piece of scratch paper but I threw it out. My truck is getting the exhaust done right now otherwise I'd go out and look.

    Black - connect to ground
    White / Red - Connect to starter
    White / Red - Connect to ignition on power

    I'm not positive whether which red is and which white is but one of them doesn't have enough power to open the fuel solenoid, just keep it there, that needs to go to your ignition power and the one that pulls it up needs to connect to your starter power when you crank your engine. I can get you the specific wires tonight but you should be able to figure out that much pretty easily.
    84 Chevy K30 Crew Cab, 6BT, NV5600, NP205
    Build pics: http://photobucket.com/jishory

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Paris, MO
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Ok MIne has a Black Wire that is the ground. A heavy red that when connected will pull the solenoid open. And then a green wire that is small that I have not been able to get to do anything I thought it might be for a sensor or something not sure. This is a P pumped motor out of a 1996 Dodge. will do some more looking tonight. Thanks I am ready to get this thing running

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Scranton, PA
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jishory View Post
    I had this written down on a piece of scratch paper but I threw it out. My truck is getting the exhaust done right now otherwise I'd go out and look.

    Black - connect to ground
    White / Red - Connect to starter
    White / Red - Connect to ignition on power

    I'm not positive whether which red is and which white is but one of them doesn't have enough power to open the fuel solenoid, just keep it there, that needs to go to your ignition power and the one that pulls it up needs to connect to your starter power when you crank your engine. I can get you the specific wires tonight but you should be able to figure out that much pretty easily.

    You forgot to tell him not to cross the opening power with the hold open power lines, it will cause a lot of white smoke and a decrease of about $250 in your bank account. Ask me how I know . . . LOL

    Rob

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Elizabeth Lake, CA
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yousesteers View Post
    Ok MIne has a Black Wire that is the ground. A heavy red that when connected will pull the solenoid open. And then a green wire that is small that I have not been able to get to do anything I thought it might be for a sensor or something not sure. This is a P pumped motor out of a 1996 Dodge. will do some more looking tonight. Thanks I am ready to get this thing running
    Send power down the green while the black is grounded. Pull the solenoid up, does it stay there?
    84 Chevy K30 Crew Cab, 6BT, NV5600, NP205
    Build pics: http://photobucket.com/jishory

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bucks County , Pa
    Posts
    129
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I would assume you have the Hi-ram pull solenoid ... if your looking at the 3 plug connector ... black wire is ground , next wire his a heavyer wire that goes to the Hi-ram and the thinner wire is the hold .
    If your using the Hi-ram thats the monetary pull and that should be fused before it feeds the Hi-ram , basiclly sends the power to pull on crank ... so you can take the trigger wire from the Hi-ram ... think is brown and fuse that and connect that to starter and connect the thin black off the Hi-ram to a ground .
    The other wire is the hold ... its a thinner wire and should be connected to a key on 12 volt ... make sure to check the volts ... once you crank the ignition and let off the hold will ( hold the fuel on ).
    As the other guy said don't mix up the pull and hold ... its all most impossible if your using the pull relay to mix that up .
    If you wiring from scratch I would suggest using a relay on the pull , think you can get a 70 amp relay for McMastercarr for 20 bucks ... chapper than LarryB's but he dose have a few wiring options .
    Last edited by greguw; 06-29-2011 at 05:59 AM.

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Paris, MO
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Thanks guys I got it wired up only had a 20 amp fuse not near big enough for the 10 guage wire and solenoid it did activate it once and it will hold open. i ran the Red wire through a relay to the positive side of battery, the green wire or small wire to the ignition side of key switch and the black wire straight to ground. This seemed to work of course I blew the fuse but I knew that would happen it shows a 30 amp in the donor dodge so will get a 30 and 40 tommorrow. I did start the truck and let it run about 30 minutes tonight I only had one small issue with a water temp sending unit everything else seems to work great.

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Murrieta California
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    wait what? anyone, please help with wireing this engine up

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts