4bt hp limit
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4bt hp limit

New Registered User
    Thanks

Default 4bt hp limit

hey guys i got a question how much power can you get out of the 4bt i want to put one in a 67 c10 but i cant anyone that deals in performance parts for this little motor. i have a great relationship with alot of diesel performance builders and all of them have little to no experince with this motor. i just want to know if they have twin kits out there for them and who to talk too in order to find out. any help would be great thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

IT IS JUST LIKE THE 6BT.. AS FOR TWIN KITS? you need to fab up your own kit. I dont believe you can just buy a pre fabbed kit for them, but who would want that anyway? just do your own or if you cant do it your self have a custom fab shop or wled shop help you out. just buy the turbos you want and fab up the piping. as for injectors and studs, orings and all that good pump work most of your 12v 6bt stuff works with these little motors. if you get a p7100 pumped 4bt all the dv's and gov springs and stuff all swap over as well. as for power it will make as much as your wallet will let you! mild built 4bts are pushing 3 to 400, hot full built and fireringed 4bts are pushing more than 700
    1989 K5 blazer... ppump 4bt swap, nv4500, np241. swap in proggress.....

Thanks

It depends on how long you want the motor to last?
    Last edited by upnover; 09-08-2011 at 06:03 AM.
    1992 FJ80 4BT INTER-COOLED,VE PUMP,#2 FUEL PIN,HX30,3.5" EXHAUST,GAUGES,47RH,TOY TC,
    4:10'S,33",CUSTOM AIR SUSPENSION

Thanks

money is the limit
    1989 ford ranger 4bt... standby for further details

Thanks

there is a ranger out there on the drag strip pushing 900hp with a 4bt. like they said money is the limit, but it takes someone with some serious know how to make that kinda power.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

When you speak of power are you considering hp or torque. A diesel's forte is generally high torque not high hp. Cummins builds 4.5L Isbe 4cyl engines right now that have 560 lb ft of torque. That's the same as a Chevy 8.1L 502hp crate motor. Enough to shred most transmissions and rear ends. Building a very high performance diesel takes some serious planing and money. With the right parts the engine could easily pass 300hp and God only knows how much torque. Some sled pulling 12 valve engines cost upward of $40,000 and they have to be completly rebuilt ever racing season. Extremely high power in a diesel usually means shorter engine life and greatly reduced fuel economy. Long life and fuel economy are the 2 basic reasons most of us own diesels. Oh, and they also sound pretty cool. Your C10 would be real nice with a 4BT.

Thanks

There are plenty of interesting threads on this forum involving that very subject.

In the performance forum there is a dyno thread in the stickies.

In the Tech forum there is a stickey of tech threads, with a whole section on various turbos, compound and otherwise.

If you expect any of us to make a reasonable and apropriate suggestion for "how much power" is possible, we need you to tell us what you are thinking of doing with it.

Any competition only engine will make more power than something that lives on the street as the overhaul interval is so much shorter.
    Erik
    Isuzu Nut
    Deviant that's keeping the NPR (with the engine).
    http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9646
    '94 4BD2-TC, HY35W (early) with 3" exhaust & exhaust brake, 'more power screw' maxed, defuel turned up, pump turned up internally by accident.

New Registered User
    Thanks

thanks guys i will have to call harry up at peak then and have him build me my twins i dont have time to do it. as far as hp vs wallet trust me i know that i have an 06 dodge pushing out more then 1000hp on fuel only and have put way to much money into that one. i would be happy with 800hp for this little truck. its just going to be a play toy my wife drives around.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 82ndsnpr View Post
    thanks guys i will have to call harry up at peak then and have him build me my twins i dont have time to do it. as far as hp vs wallet trust me i know that i have an 06 dodge pushing out more then 1000hp on fuel only and have put way to much money into that one. i would be happy with 800hp for this little truck. its just going to be a play toy my wife drives around.
    i just wanna say to that. when she is done can i have it???

Thanks

i think if your shooting for 800hp you should go with a 12v 6bt.... even with the bt 800 will be very hard to get to....

New Registered User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaybuller View Post
    i think if your shooting for 800hp you should go with a 12v 6bt.... even with the bt 800 will be very hard to get to....

i know the weight of the two are pretty close a few hundred pounds but when i built my common rail everyone said a 1000hp is to hard to get and now i have a truck that with the efi live tuned right will be pushing just shy of 1100hp and i drive it every day. i like to do what most say is to hard to do, if i wanted to do it easy i would just put one of my spare 12v motors in and call it good but i want something diffrent, the problem is when you want to do something diffrent its hard to find ppl who have done it with the info to share.

Thanks

i hear ya... you must have money to blow, which is fine and i cant think of anything else more worthy of blowing money on at the moment.... i hope you get there with the 4bt... if it were me trying to get to 800 or more with the 4bt i would start out with getting rods from carillo, getting your pistons coated and fly cut and the whole assmby balanced. then i would have a girtle made for the block put it all together with big main studs and then hard blok about 3/4 the way up. then firering, 14mm headstuds, i would also get your head opened up to flow the required flow. go with one of hamiltons big cams and the valvesprings to match. that should be a good stating point to getting there and should hold that power level for more than just a couple of wot runs... as far as air flow i think i would go with a 62/68 on top with a s400 hung underneath...i beileve that right there with a custom built 4bt p7100 pump and a set of big injectors you would do what you wanted and be half ass reliable and could probly surpass your 800hp goal

+ Reply to Thread