Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1984 Toyota 4x4 diesel

16K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  lileuroimport 
#1 ·
Hey guys need some Suggestions on a diesel conversion. I'm thinking about a
Kubota 03-M Series V2403-M-T-E3B. Just want to get Yalls input on these engines. Don't want anything to big and I want to stay mechanical injected, good part prices, enough power to go wheeling and able to do high way speeds easy. been doing research but I can't seem to make a decision on a good small diesel engine. Any help & ideas will be great thanks so much guys!!!!

#2 ·
itll get good milage with an industrial governor. however accelarating will take a while. its a great motor i work on them all the time. tweak the pump and wastegate and make some big power. im doing the cummins 3.3 when i get some more coin for my 4runner. i was going to go with the kubota 2203t, 2403t, but they also make a 3.3 3307t that would be ideal

#3 ·
Thanks Blake for the info. Yes a 3.3 cummins would be great but there like 8k when I called my local dealer. Well I have not looked in to the 3307t yet. But u think that will be my best bet? What do u have in ur truck? I was looking on the kobota web site page and all the engines didn't have torque values would u happen to know them? Don't want something to powerful where I can't run my Toyota powertrain.

#4 ·
thw 2403 would be a great match. for your yota. it will be a tad slow accelarating because there is no mechanism to advance timing in an industrial motor. however when your up to speed it will work like cruise control. you set the rpm to run at with the pedal and up and down hills it will hold that rpm. just make sure you get the turbo version. adjust the fuel and there is a little screw on the front of the timing cover to adjust how fast or slow it responds. this adjust ment helps with a manual transmission. an auto would be a good choice with this motor too if you can find a low stall torque convertor

#5 ·
ui still have the 3.0 gasser in mine but i have found a salvage yard for tractors and equipoment and this is where i will get my engine when they get another. im going with the b3.3t mechanical version not the qsb common rail. its cheaper and more reliable in my opinion being all mechanical

#6 ·
what tranys are you guys able to bolt up and run with these engines? i have a 97 tj wrangler and would like to have a small diesel in it instead of my gas 2.5 4cyl... but couldnt figure out what transmissions would work with these little engines.

#7 ·
Thanks Blake for the great info. I'm going to start looking around to get a good deal on a engine see what better for me to go new or used. Depends witch is a better price. In the long run. In my search I seen used engines from back holes that already have a/c compressor and and pulls and components on them so im going to try and find one of those and make it Easy on myself. Jaybuller I am going to try and run my stock trans .. either buy or build a adapter to hook up to my trans that's why I don't want to go with nothing to high of HP so u can use my stock stuff

#8 ·
use the tranny you got and just make an adapter plate. have you flywheel machined to bolt on to the knubota crank if possible. if not youll need to find a different flywheel but that shouldnt be too hard. the adapter plate and flywheel correctly made will make the back of the kubota look just like the jeep motor. phoenix castings makes adapters to bolt sae patterns to the ax15. might have to use a dakota bell housing on the tranny to find the correct adapter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.