What's a 3.3 Cummins?
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's a 3.3 Cummins?

Thanks

Default What's a 3.3 Cummins?

Exactly what is a 3.3 Cummins? I found a 3.29?? Cummins on a gen application the other day and wondered if it is what people call a 3.3. I hear them refered to as a B Cummins but it is not anything like the 3.9 Cummins. It has the inj. pump on the left side, exhaust on the right side, and a one-piece valve cover.
    What's the engine worth and what's it good for?
    Thanks,
    Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Not good for a vehicle application. From what I found anything in a generator or industrial application such as forklift, tractor, or any other equipment of that nature has very low HP. I mean like in the 30's. They aren't design to take high RPM's and many red line like 2500 RPM. Maybe if you trailer it to your wheeling location you might be ok. I've looked at this route and it was a no go. Then again, not sure what your planning to do with the engine. You may be building your own stand by generator for all we know. It might help to post up what your plans are...

Thanks

I've worked on a 3.3 in a cummins/onan genset. They are physically much smaller than a 3.9, no question about that. I wouldn't consider it for a vehicle application, unless its a Toyota compact pickup 4wd sized vehicle.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Thanks

I put a 4BT 3.9 in a 88 Ford Ranger 178k miles ago and pulled a trailer with some pretty good loads, it has given good service and gets good fuel mileage.
    I put a 4BT 3.9 in a 92 Ford explorer Sport for my daughter and it has over 100k miles on it with good service and good fuel mileage.
    I just finished installing a 4BT 3.9 in a 02 Dakota 4x4 with the 45rfe transmission and it has about 5k miles on it now.
    I know what a 3.9 is and how good and tuff they are. I was just wondering how the 3.3 compared to the 3.9 and wondered if they were good enough to consider using for some project, nothing special in mind.
    Thanks for the information and your opinions.
    Jim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimAg View Post
    I put a 4BT 3.9 in a 88 Ford Ranger 178k miles ago and pulled a trailer with some pretty good loads, it has given good service and gets good fuel mileage.
    I put a 4BT 3.9 in a 92 Ford explorer Sport for my daughter and it has over 100k miles on it with good service and good fuel mileage.
    I just finished installing a 4BT 3.9 in a 02 Dakota 4x4 with the 45rfe transmission and it has about 5k miles on it now.
    I know what a 3.9 is and how good and tuff they are. I was just wondering how the 3.3 compared to the 3.9 and wondered if they were good enough to consider using for some project, nothing special in mind.
    Thanks for the information and your opinions.
    Jim
    Jim,
    This is a very common swap for lighter vehicles. In factory trim they are available at 85hp 220lb-ft (mechanical) and the electronic versions are available up to 110hp 300lb-ft. If you did around on here you'll find explorers, S10's, and quite a few Jeeps running this engine. Fully dressed the 3.3L weighs 567lbs versus the bulky 750lbs of the 4BT, not to mention the overall size of the 3.9L when considering the smaller engine bays. However, the B3.3 is not nearly as readily available used as is the 3.9L. If you can get your hands on that one (assuming it's turbocharged), you should have no problem turning it around. The NA versions (<65HP) aren't as desireable but still bring decent money as long as it's the whole engine. Not much market for parts only.

Thanks

We have a classified section and this isn't it!

Just another friendly reminder - we don't allow the forums to be used for buying and selling unless you are a registered “Red Star Vendor.” Use the classifieds section and use the PM system to communicate about the transaction.

To the guys whose posts aren't missing - thanks for following the rules. This post wasn't aimed at you.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects.
    - Lazarus Long, as written by Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by BobS View Post
    You need to first confirm the problem BEFORE you start buying and replacing parts.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.