4bt to ford tach wiring
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4bt to ford tach wiring

Thanks

Default 4bt to ford tach wiring

I've been looking and looking, and I have not been able to come up with anything. I have a 94 cummins tach sensor and harmonic balancer on my 4bt. I have also ground 2 more notches into the balancer for the tach sensor. Does anyone have any idea on how to wire it so the tach will work? It is a gas tach in a 95 f150. There are 3 wires comming off the sensor, and I would like to do this right. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Look to Dakota Digital. You will need an interface module that will change the crank signal to one you tach can use. They are adjustable so you can dial it in. You'll need a reference tach to get it just right. A handheld laser tach would be the easiest. I believe the model is a DSL-1.

Thanks

My 86 uses the factory 6.9 pickup and the diesel tach.

Maybe use a 7.3/PSD pickup and F250 tach?

Thanks

you used the cam sensor on your crankshaft?

The ford diesel tach is looking for 58 pulses, the gas one is looking for 4.
    I need to know how to wire it up, and if the cummins pickup is compatable.

Thanks

So for the diesel tach, (like an early powerstroke) the computers takes in a 4 pulse signal from the cam or crank sensor, im not sure which. And the computer puts a 58 pulse signal for the diesel tach?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by camccardell View Post
    , the gas one is looking for 4.
    What about using the sensor from the gas engine on a modified mount? Then you will know you have the wiring and the pulse intensity correct for the factory tach. This is the approach I used on a 2003 which has the computer between the sensor and the instrument panel:
    http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...e-a-4BT-or-6BT

CR
    '88 Ford Ranger 4.6 gas, 273k mi. Original owner and paid for 21 yrs ago. Why yes I'm cheap!
    2003 Ford Expedition: 4BT with air-to-air intercooler, 3200RPM spring, CPL 858, M5R2 trans, 3.73 gears, 31.8" tires-- mostly done; Daily Driver since Nov 2010.

Thanks

By far the easiest way will be to buy the Dakota digital dsl-1 box.

It hooks into one of the poles on the alternator and uses that signal to create a tach output. And Its fully adjustable as well. 4 wires to hook up and boom, done.

Its $65 with free shipping on eBay.

Your gas tach is most likely looking for a 4 pulse/revolution signal so your crank sensor idea may work. But those sensors are notorious for going bad so if yours is used and your not positive it is good it may not be good. Also the middle "prong" is the output, so that's where you'd hook your tach wire. But I THINK that you have to supply power and ground to the sensor too. Not 100% sure, but I don't know why else there would be 3 prongs.

I was going to try it this way for my truck but in the end it was a lot less hassle with the Dakota digital box.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    '04 LB7 Duramax CCSB | S&B Intake | 4" exhaust | EFI Live tuning by HUSKER DIESEL PERFORMANCE:

'95 Chevy ECLB 2wd - 12v/NV4500 swap complete | 253rwhp, 530tq | 23mpg

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.