Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Custom AC compressor Bracket

34K views 42 replies 17 participants last post by  char1355 
#1 ·
I made an AC compressor bracket and i figured i would post it in its own thread. The AC has proved as hard as anything in the rest of my swap.

The mount is for a Sanden 7320 8 groove Compressor. Turns out Sanden's measurement of the mounting holes was incorrect, so be careful and measure everything yourself.

I had all the metal cut and holes drilled and tapped on the base plate at a shop in San Marcos, TX. Then made the alternator piggyback mount at home.

Then I ordered some hard ac compressor lines from nostalgic air parts and got some o-ring to flare adapters to use the factory Wagoneer #8 and #10 hoses. I replaced the evaporator, drier and expansion valve.

Getting it charged tomorrow. we will see what i screwed up then.

See less See more
#28 ·
8 rib belt installed and it helped alot. I still have some belt slippage at times. The truck has a 1 wire alternator & most of my slippage comes when the compressor is on and the alternator is in "charge mode". May have to add an idler between the compressor and alternator, maybe on the top alternator bolt. Any suggestions on that?

#29 ·
It would need to be further inboard than the top alternator bolt I would think. You want more wrap around the alternator pully. Something between the tensioner, alternator, and AC would be ideal, but it would have to be small which could be an issue for the belt life, as well as the extra length you'd need.

I thought about going: crank -> alternator -> water pump -> A/C -> tensioner -> idler (i.e. use the water pump as your idler). That would give you great wrap of the alternator, water pump, and A/C, but you would loose wrap around the crank. It might still be enough but you'd have to test to see.

The other option would be to see if you could move the tensioner and use it as an idler between the alternator and A/C, but I'm not sure you can wrap it that way due to it's design, or that the tensioner body won't interfere with the A/C -> idler portion of the belt.

A third option would be to try and move the alternator futher down. That would increase wrap, but by the time you were low enough I'm not sure you wouldn't have interference issues with the body or the lower coolant hose.

#31 ·
If anyone is still looking.....

Under the suggestion from a previous post, I got a longer belt and rerouted it today. It is a 6 rib, since thats what I could find local. It seems to help a huge amount! I don't have a pic yet but I routed it:
Crank> alternator> idler> compressor> tensioner> water pump> back to the crank.
It puts a lot more wrap on the alternator. When the 8 rib belt comes in we will see if the issue is fully solved.

#32 ·
I think you have the water pump and idler reversed in your order. The water pump is the small pully below the tensioner, the idler is the large one the fan mounts to.

Good to know though, I was worried the reduced wrap on the crank would cause issues. You'll have to post the belt number to reference. I may go the same route on my build.

#33 ·
You are correct Desoto, I made a mistake. Good catch! I was so excited to fix the problem that I didn't proofread.

The belt I used is Gates K080859. If your parts stores are like the ones here, they will not have the 8 rib in stock. The 6 rib belt I used as a trial is a K060858. Same length, just 6 rib. (I'm not sure why the length part of the number is 1 digit off.)

TEST FIT BEFORE YOU BUY! This is a homemade bracket so there could be some variables. I will try to post a pic ASAP.

#35 ·
hey guys!,, sorry it took so long. All i coiuld find was the engine to ac bracket drawings. i might have fabed the ac to alt on the fly, i just dont remember. you need to make twp of the bar stock pieces.

#37 ·
Thinder, this is brilliant. The finished product looks almost factory. Thank you!

#39 ·
Thinder, is there anyway you might have the dimension that locates the 3 hole engine mounting pattern in the vertical direction? I'm trying to make this part for a friend. He's very excited about the work you've displayed. I'd like to get the part right, therefore this dimension is critical. Thanks - Wes

#40 ·
here ya go, It isnt a a critical number as long as it fits your needs i.e. the hood closes and you can get a belt the right length. I dont know how i missed putting that dimension into the picture.....

#41 ·
just a question, i am needing to route ac soon, does anyone know if the dimensions of the sanden compressor are the same as the dimensions for a ford compressor from a 95 powerstroke?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.