Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

86 chevy crewcab 6bt swap

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  oshpunit987 
#1 ·
hi all

Im in the process of removing a 6bt from an 89 Dodge to install in my 86 Chevy C30..

Does anyone know if i need to remove the Core Support from these vehicles to remove and install the 6bt and transmission combo?

I would hate to do this as it seems like way too much work. Thanks, Mike

#5 ·
It should only take about an hour to take the bumper, grill, lights, core support, radiator, and hood off. Trust me, you'll be glad you did!

#7 ·
Yeah, getting the body lines back in the same position can be tricky. If you're installing something that long though, you either gotta separate the Engine/Tranny or pull the front cap/core support/ no way around it really, unless you could somehow install it all from underneath (doubtful).

#8 ·
It MUST come off to install as a combo. It took a good while to install just the engine in mine. Basically, it is down back, down forward, push over and down another 1/2 inch....you get the picture. It is a very tight fit, but the engine will go in with the core support in. Be careful of the little hydroboost canister. I had to remove the fuel filter housing fitting to get the engine to move past it. 1/2" more clearance made a world of difference.

#10 ·
It's easy to remove Chevy fenders and core support as one piece. One guy on each side can lift it off and set it on the ground. I had my 79 Chevy front off probably a dozen times swapping 5 engines in and out multiple times. I only did a Ford once and that thing was very heavy and a lot more work in my opinion so the next time I took the core support out to swap a 4bt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.