4BT Into 1965 GMC 4X4 1/2 Ton Truck Build - Page 2
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 4BT Into 1965 GMC 4X4 1/2 Ton Truck Build

Thanks

I agree that white would look better, but the turquoise doesn't look bad either.
    Something to consider with flipping the exhaust. I didn't look back through your complete thread so I'm assuming you have a center dump or cut down 6bt. Your clearance on your intake to oil filter and alternator will become an issue. A rear dump might suit you better if you have the exhaust clearance. Personally I like where she sits now, but if you upgrade the turbo and injectors you might have to consider 2 things.
    1. the compressor housing is going to be a bit bigger. Probably a non issue.
    2. if you hop her up to much you will have to consider room for inter/after, air to air, water to air cooler and all related plumbing or end up driving by the pyro.
    She doesn't look like you'll be using her for much towing and you might not have anything to worry about but before making any of these moves you might want to do some research and or consult some of these guys here that know a lot more than "Shadetree AL"
    Your truck is simply beautiful. Does it have a wood slat bed?
    I too am waiting patiently on my painter. It's like watching the grass grow.
    Regards, AL
    01 Dakota Quad cab, 4bt, NV 4500, NP241dhd , Gear Vender P style, 392's, HY35W, M&H spacer, 366 Gov. Spring.
    Being smart is easy. Just think of the dumbest answers and say the opposite. .

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Put in the bumper to see if it helped the letter color, better but I have a second set in the paint shop going white as I like the factory look. They also came in chrome which are on e-bay right now.
    Conchy your right on about the exhaust as it is a center dump and I wondered about the oil filter when it is turned upside down. Been browsing some builds about that issue. Posted a thread about turbo update and injectors but had no replies yet. Local shop wants $400 to rebuild the injectors, Scott (TDC) is on the mend still from what i understand so I thought about POD injectors?
    Put the sheet metal on the front. looks tough for a I/C or CAC plumbing. Battery is right in the way right now. But ......... Will put a pryo for sure.
    Truck will get a hitch but how much towing I don't know right now. LOL. The bed is getting new western yellow pine with stainless bolts and bed strips.
    Painter has the hood now, thens moves on to the bed. Man he he slow! Thanks for the input! Jeff
    It will never be really finished 1965 GMC 1/2 TON 4X4- 4BT-M5R2 Divorced Rockwell Transfer Case. Dana 44 Front and Rear. 3200 Gov. Spring. TDC Fuel Pin. P/S -PB. On 33X10.50 X15 M/S. Rancho 9000

Supporting Member
    Thanks

On your exhaust manifold, you shouldn't have any clearance issues with any normal turbo. If you flip it you will come into conflict with the oil filter. Your compressor housing and the filter will be using the same space. You could go with a remote oil filter set up which would help that situation. If you go low with the turbo you would need the rear position exhaust manifold which is probably the most common. Look at DarinGT's build of Droopy the Snow Plow. Turbo is close to the oil filter but a cobrahead intake clears it. But if it doesn't hurt where it is leave it alone. You can also put a heat blanket on the turbine housing. Would help in 2 ways. Keep the heat away from the heater box and improve spool up on the turbo. Also covers up that housing that usually winds up rusting.

Thanks

Thanks Char,
    I would like to keep the manifold as it is, I plan on updating the turbo (with injectors) and have been seeking some input on another thread. The height is no problem as the hood rises up quite a bit and a I can cut into the heater box as the radiator sits on the far side. Do you consider a HX-35 or HY-35 normal? Thanks Jeff
    It will never be really finished 1965 GMC 1/2 TON 4X4- 4BT-M5R2 Divorced Rockwell Transfer Case. Dana 44 Front and Rear. 3200 Gov. Spring. TDC Fuel Pin. P/S -PB. On 33X10.50 X15 M/S. Rancho 9000

Supporting Member
    Thanks

I would consider both the HX35 and HY35 normal. The HX35 with a 12cm housing works well. The HY35 comes in 2 versions. The first version was used up til 2003 on 24 valve engines. The second version was used on on 2003-2004. This one is generally referred to as an HE341 and is very popular for 4bt's. It has a 9cm housing and spools very fast. With such a small housing it sometimes has higher EGT. If possible run a 4" exhaust to keep the heat down. Can do 5" if you have the room.

Thanks

Thanks again Char that helps a lot. I do have room and was planning on using the donor van exhaust which is 3". I will plan to go up to 4" at least. Plan to tap in a EGT before the turbo.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Definitely want to consider 4" exhaust with any kind of engine mods. Want to let that thing breathe. Pyro and boost gauges are pretty much essentials. No such thing as too many instruments to monitor an engine. Want to keep track of what's going on under the hood before it becomes a problem. I keep staring at that truck and thinking how beautiful it's going to be and I'm not really a GM fan. When you were talking about the color of the GMC emblem in the grill did you ever consider painting it red. Might make an interesting contrast. Heck just get a couple different ones and change em out from time to time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by things View Post
    ainter though the GMC would look good turquoise, I don't think it does though. I have a second set and will go white.
    Attachment 13731
    How about two-tone? Outline the turquoise with white. I think the contrast of turqoise against the white will highlight the turquoise - like the rest of the truck.

Thanks

I will switch out the exhaust to 4" as I have not ran it yet, would of had to mod the 3" anyway. Now I have to find a muffler though. Any thoughts?
    Plan on a Auto Meter Z series gauges Pyro, Tach and Boost. Not sure if I can trust the original cluster so might add oil and temp.
    Painter suggested red but I thought it would clash but what do I know? I have another set in primer right now maybe I will try red before white.

95Z I like your idea about white around the turquoise, I will do that this week when we spray white. Thanks

Bled the brakes today, did it solo with the old coke bottle, rubber hose with a bolt in the end and a slit. Works well but takes time. Then bled the clutch, got brakes and clutch now......
    Put together the bed in the morning when it was cool out side, had all the molding holes welded yesterday as I am not putting trim on it. Hope to have the hood painted this week then he can do the bed as it is ready to go now

Thanks

Hoped that the hood would be painted but the painter was MIA lately.....
    Had to cut and fab the drag link, then then remove 1-7/8" from the lower steering column so it would fit. Then redo the stops. This axle was out a 1976 Blazer so it is all new to the GMC.
    It now steers, has brakes and clutch. Found some boots for the shifter and 4 wheel and got them in, mounted the seat.
    Broke the return line on the tank while making adjustments, pulled the tank out and fixed it. Baby steps......
    Put the rims back on to check the steering stops and any other issues, seems OK for now.....
    IMG_2315.jpg

Thanks

I see you're running one of the many variations of a 6BT high-mount fan hub (school bus, medium duty etc.), does this center your fan to your radiator shroud, or is it now too high ? Also interested in watching how a 4" pipe passes around/through the Pass side drop transfer case/crossmember. Great work.

Thanks

The donor van had a electric fan on it, I am not sure if I will reuse it or not. The hub was on the engine and it is close to center by chance (luck?). Had the radiator built to fit stock location (punched brass and 4 row). Looks like I can put a shroud and fan as I have about 6" from the hub to the radiator.
    Thought the exhaust was 3" but is really 2 1/2". It again was what the donor van was running. We do a lot of custom headers and exhaust so when I upgrade the turbo I will deal with that. I will most likely run what I have at first then figure what I need exhaust wise. Right now the exhaust figures to exit in front of the rear passenger wheel. Jeff

Thanks

this is just too cool
    Engine: cat 3116 220hp 630tq
    Transmission: eaton rt6610
    Axles: front l I-beam axle 1994 C3500HD 5 lug
    Rear: dana 80 axle 1994 C35000HD 10 lug 4.63 gear
    Truck 1972 international 1210

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by things View Post
    The donor van had a electric fan on it, I am not sure if I will reuse it or not.
    do it... cost-effectiveness is favorable to the electric fan...
    http://formspring.me/kamikazeondrugz

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

Thanks

It should bolt right on and is all wired, be the easy way out also. Thanks

Thanks

using electric fans allows the engine to have a more accurate temperature control and also saves some fuel
    http://formspring.me/kamikazeondrugz

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

Thanks

Tested the fan and it ran great, so it will get cleaned and painted before it is installed

IMG_2322.jpg
    IMG_2332.jpg
    IMG_2334.jpg
    IMG_2320.jpg.

Made a little headway today, put the doors and front fenders on.
    Yesterday got the bed together and squared up so it is in the painters hands now.
    Going to take a brake for a week or so since I am waiting for the painter. Plan to throw the snowboard, flyrod, offroad bike in the van along with the dog and go camping up at Mammoth Lakes Ca. for a week or so...

Thanks

The "rear angled ford" ex. manifold flipped upside down would move you from where you are to about 4-6 inches forward and would tilt to pass wheelwell slightly for more clearance, but would need horizontal oil filter. Have you considered the IC (if not for hp upgrade) as a fuse in case the turbo loses a fin or grenades? I didnt neccesarily need IC but didnt like seeing the piping dump right into intake plenum. Still on vacation, huh?
    Last edited by redhedbronco; 05-26-2012 at 01:21 AM.
    69 Bronco 4bt/IC/HE221, NP435/203/205, 3.54 D60s OX locker F and Detroit R, military H1 beadlocks and 38" rubber
    "sealing the deal on this forum section as a whole..(and/or his entire membership here){which has been an issue before}ps: you were warned.... Redhedbronco reported for vulgarity character attack."-47Ford-1.5Ton Rats dwell here.
    Please, Drifter, don't give me any more advice because I can't afford it and I don't want to destroy my engine or truck.-JimmieD

Thanks

Hi Red, just got back today.

Thanks

Snowboards and dirt bikes kill me anymore. Catch some fish?
    69 Bronco 4bt/IC/HE221, NP435/203/205, 3.54 D60s OX locker F and Detroit R, military H1 beadlocks and 38" rubber
    "sealing the deal on this forum section as a whole..(and/or his entire membership here){which has been an issue before}ps: you were warned.... Redhedbronco reported for vulgarity character attack."-47Ford-1.5Ton Rats dwell here.
    Please, Drifter, don't give me any more advice because I can't afford it and I don't want to destroy my engine or truck.-JimmieD

Thanks

Howdy Red,
    It was so fricking windy, saw some but not on my line. My dog kept wanting to eat the cheese on the rocks and such, I spent more time dealing with him then fishing...... Went to Aurora out by Bodie and did some metal detecting also (nothing found)
    Had to move(not the project), got the computer back on and such finally. Now I can get back to the truck.
    Hoped to have the hood done but it was not. Talked to another painter and will switch to him this week. Its only been 9 months!

New Registered User
    Thanks

unless it's too late (like I should have asked earlier in the project before all the fenders went on) do you maybe have the dimensions of your frame rails where the engine is? I have a 66 dodge town wagon, and it might be similar to how your frame rails are. And what do you mean by boxing the frame? And how are leaf springs added exactly? Is there a science to it, or do you just walk into a place and say you want to drop a heavy diesel in the front end?

Very nice looking truck! On the GM side of things, i've been curious about a conversion like this for a 1959 chevrolet apache also. Think there is much difference between a 65 GM product and a 59? (3200 fleetside if that means anything) Stock 283 V8 and some kind of manual transmission (stock also)

Thanks

The frame rails are shaped like the letter C and face to the inside towards each other. You get some flat plate and cover the open end and trace it, then cut it so nothing goes under or over the rail then weld it on. I did mine before the front shackle (leaf spring) to past the rear shackle. It adds alot of strength to the frame as the engine sits right on that area in my case. Someone else could explain it better I am sure. (Please Do)
    Mine was stock as a 4WD so the leaf spring were original to the truck. Springs are upgraded to handle the 900lbs. approx. Which is important to note to you or your builder.
    I will measure the frame and post a few pics, might be one of the frame in the beginning of my build I thought.
    Frames are close all though the 60's though I am not sure of the 50's. I will check one of my books.
    Mine is a 1/2 ton, a 3/4 would of been nicer but use what you got! Good Luck! Jeff

Thanks

Been getting to do a few things in the evenings but now finished up a couple of remodels and am spending full days on the truck. Put fuel in the tank and she fired right up, brakes and clutch are good, hood might go on in a few days.
    still fricken waiting for the bed to get painted though.....

Thanks

Put the hood on today plus a few other things. Just need the bed done.
    IMG_2735.jpgIMG_2738.jpgIMG_2745.jpg
    Making progress, but there is always some speed bump to slow you down.

Thanks

that is slick
    Engine: cat 3116 220hp 630tq
    Transmission: eaton rt6610
    Axles: front l I-beam axle 1994 C3500HD 5 lug
    Rear: dana 80 axle 1994 C35000HD 10 lug 4.63 gear
    Truck 1972 international 1210

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Yea nice build. Speaking of slick is that a grey ghost in pic?? Brings back memories..

Thanks

There is a 1929 JD Harley with sidecar and a 1929 BSA which are both great runners, then a 1965 Triumph flat tracker. Sadly I do not own any of them......

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Any progress on your build. I'm doing a similar build currently, just dont have the discipline for detail like you do. Your truck is a Great looking truck!
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537789

Thanks

Great looking truck. That is what you can call "labor of love."
    Keep them coming.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the 3.0L Mercedes Diesel
    2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
    1998 Dodge 3/4 Ton Quad Cab Long Box 4x4 Cummins Diesel
    All running, and loving B100.
    Bought a 1987 Isuzu 4BD1T, Bought a 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, now working on the swap.

+ Reply to Thread