Jeep Wrangler Diesel conversion. 4bt or VW 1.9 TDi
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jeep Wrangler Diesel conversion. 4bt or VW 1.9 TDi

New Registered User
    Thanks

Default Jeep Wrangler Diesel conversion. 4bt or VW 1.9 TDi

I want to start a project of swapping a diesel into a Wrangler. I was hoping I could get some opinions from people who have done both or have some knowlege of both to let me know what would be the best for a wrangler. I'm not looking to do any sort of hard core trail riding or rock crawling. Looking for a fuel efficient everyday vehicle that I can do some light trail riding on the weekends.

Thanks for your help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Here's my two cents. You have a couple of things to consider. Is this going to be your Daily Driver (DD)? How much on highway (high speed) is needed? Do you already have the Wrangler?

1. a Samurai with VW engine may be a better option for you if this isn't your primary vehicle and you don't already have the Jeep. As much in town driving and as little off-roading as I do I would love to have one of these. Fairly cheap to do and you can buy a kit to make it happen. should be much quieter and smoother than a 4BT Jeep.
    2. 4BT Jeep will be able to be built (actually way over-built) for your needs. Been done many times. Build threads galore here and there are videos on youtube. Look up tdiwyse (spelling?) for a 3.3L 4BT cummins build.
    3. The mechanical 1.9L VW may be marginal in a Jeep at highway speeds unless you keep it(the Jeep) small . Would definitely be fun as an around town cruiser and occasional trail rider. I have a friend with a CJ2~3 fiberglass body kit that I would love to get after my Wrangler project is out of the garage to put a VW diesel into just for a run-about. I'd probably even make it 2wd with a locker in it.

4. If you have a boat load of money you can have it all.......http://www.hpamotorsport.com/TDI-YJ-AX5.htm
    Last edited by twiisted71; 12-03-2011 at 09:25 AM.
    Taking my toys and heading to another sandbox.

Thanks

to replace the 2.5L straight-4 gasser the tdi would be ok, but it's not the most suitable engine for a wrangler...
    http://formspring.me/kamikazeondrugz

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.