Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Allison md 3060 swap

31K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  oneslowdodge1500 
#1 ·
Alright, I've been lurking all over the web for the last few weeks and haven't came up with too much info so I'll send flags out. I got a good local deal to pick up an Allison md 3060 with everything for 1500. I am interested in it because I want to put it behind a 6bt going in my Chevy crew cab. I was going to build a 47rh but this Allison looks industructuable, cheaper, and has a better od ratio (.65). The only big downside I am seeing is the size of the trans. It's suppose to be big but if that's the only downside, I think I can make that work. Does anyone have any expierence or opinions on this trans. It's fully electronic, made for medium duty applications and huge, that's abot the gist of what I got. Any comments or direction would be appreciated. I'd love to find someone that has messed with one or swapped one. Thanks

#3 ·
Aside from being ridiculously overkill for a pickup, it would be fine. It will take a lot of
, and
to get it to fit in the tunnel.

FWIW, you can get into a 1000 or 2400 for the same money, and they will be a better fit, use less power, and have better shifting manners (if you use a GM pickup TCM). That said, the MD3060 will work, and you would be hard pressed to ever hurt it :grinpimp:

#4 ·
I haven't piced the 1/2000 series ally's yet but I thought swaps for those were expensive. This md 3060 is behind a 12v so the computer should be fine. Hoping to look at it this weekend and make the decision on whether I can fit it. Junkmandan, did you have a post saying that you squeezed it in a suburban? How tIght was that, what year burb? What mods did you have to do?

#6 ·
Had I not ended up with a basket case Ally the first time, I would have about $1800 in mine. Thats a low mile trans, new TCM and new harness.

Have you looked at it, I think the output shaft is not in line with mainshaft , might be a problem. If you can use it that double overdrive would really be nice.
Huh? The MD3060 is coaxial, just like any other planetary automatic:

BTW, when I say they are big, keep in mind that the trans in the above pic has an SAE #2 bellhousing. Compare that to this Allison 2000 that has a smaller SAE #3 bell:

Allison 1000/2400 weighs about 330lbs, whereas the MD3060 is nearly 600lbs :eek:

#7 ·
i appreciate your input MaxPF and am currently reading through your bible on allisons to get up to speed on the 1/2k series. I really like the allys the more i read and it just seems smarter and cheaper to me to use one versus building a 47rh. gonna have to look a little more into this. I appreciate the help.

#8 ·
Well in my normal haste, I Pulled the trigger today on a 97 p pump 12v and md3060 out of a 97bluebird bus. This is definately overkill but hey, it's different and should be indestructible. The trans is definatly huge but I think I can make it fit. The thing I like about the deal is it is the complete package, pulled from the bus, with everything I need. The only challenges I see with the md 3060 is its size, and reprogramming it to get sixth gear. I would like play with shift limits when I turn the motor up but I have to get it reprogrammed so I can use the sixth gear. Any info on programming md 3060s would be appreciate. I'm gonna take my time with this build but will start a thread once I start shoe horning this thin in there.

#11 ·
IIRC, the MD3060 uses the WTEC-III controller. The only people who can reprogram one is an Allison dealer or someone with the Allison DOC tools. Ally dealers are notoriously unhelpful with anything other than OE configurations, and even then they will only flash to OE specs. As for a shop with the DOC tools, it is really up to the shop owner as far as what they can and will do for you...

#10 ·
Cgar-----Had a good reply last night with a lot of detail, but since I type so slow with only one finger,I somehow lost it . Anyway I have an MD 3060 as posted inthe classified section . The transmission I installed in a mid '70s suburban with 4-53T was an AT 545 for a guy from Apollo,Pa . Unfortunately it was just before Allison released the tighter converter for diesels and the customer only got 11 MPG towing the Airstream trailer . Also rear ratio was a 3.73 .
I also commented that the MD3060P that was pictured had the extended housing that added about 5" and 50 lbs plus or minus . Dan R.

#12 ·
junkmandan, funny thing is i just wrote a relpy and it didnt post either.... Anyways, did you have to mod the trans tunnel or do a body lift to fit the trans in that burb? I hope to get better mpg than 11, I am hoping to be around 18 but i am not sure what to expect. MaxPf, i appreciate the info. Do these "doc" tools have a specific name. Ill have to start asking around to some of my friends to see if anyone has these tools that will allow me to release this 6th gear. My uncle works on a lot of heavy equipment so ill be talking to him. All the help is much appreciated.

#13 ·
The Folks at Leid Diesel (friends of mine) have used a few of these Allisons in conversions and have found a Allison shop that can reprogram them to their liking. Worth a call to find out who it is and what the deal is.

Grigg

#14 ·
I appreciate the info Grigg, i will give them a call sometime to see what my options are. Ive been reading into this transmission and it seems like there are a lot of options for tuning. there is an economy mode which can alter shift points and then there are aptions for exhaust brake hook up. The guy i bought the motor from says the bus was equiped with an exhaust break but i am not sure how all that works, need to read into it more. My buddy has access to schematics for the bus this came out of so i will be examining that to put this harness back together. Ill be pressure washing this weekend and poking around. more to come.

#15 ·
cgar------Since it was 25 years ago ,I don't recall any body lift ...............and I wouldn't cut the firewall as I think that's one of the worst ways to garbage up a vehicle . I do remember shaving the front section of the oil pan so it was even with the pan rail on the block to gain a couple of inches there to clear the front crossmember as it was only a 2WD .
If you get your final drive ratio to 3.00 or faster you'll get mileage . Dan R.

#16 ·
I've done some research on my own MD 3060 swap. Here are some things that were suggested. First you need the wiring harness from what the tranny came out of. For instance I have a FL70 conversion that I did and am going to put it behind my 12 valve manual cummins.
It came out of a 12 valve C engine manual (not electronic). Its not bearly as easy as a a regular swap. Anyway I have had to do some other parts also. What I got in my purchase was the tranny, the ecu, the wiring harness. This a must, you will need to match your tranny (elec. or manual) to your engine. I'm not going to go any further but if your 4BT is not electronic it won't work. For at least alll that I have found out.By the way, my project will be going from a 6 speed manual to the Allison.

#17 ·
i lucked out and bought the motor (97 6bt) and tranny together as they were in the bus it came from. I got all the parts, down to the gas pedal so i have everything i need. there are a few things i would like to get my hands on. wiring diagram for the trans and colling circ chart for how allison wants there standalone cooler to be plumbed. Im most woried about if there needs to be a bypass of some sorts hooked up on the cooler. My trans was also set up for 5 speeds so i need to get it reprogramed so i can run the 6th gear. I also want to change the shift points for a 3200k governer setting if possible. A lot of misc stuff, just like any swap. I havent started the truck yet, just been cleaning the motor in my spare time. trying to get my apache to a good point before i start the next project. haha.

#18 ·
did this ever go anywhere, i too want to use a md3060 behind a cummins 5.9. if conversion didnt happen anyone selling a trans with harness and ecu. may be parting with my nv4500 to go auto with 5-6 speeds and tq lockup. its all getting put in a freightliner so size isn't an issue nor is bellhousing size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.