Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1987 Nissan Hardbody 4bt swap

69K views 130 replies 23 participants last post by  Drifter 
#1 ·
Well its 3am and I have been wide awake all night thinking of what I need to do next moving towards my dream swap. I have an old ford hostess van I picked up a while back. Ive had enough I'm gunna swap the complete drivetrain from the van! My nissan just blew another reverse gear (37s locked front and rear :p). So instead of waisting my time I'm gunna swap. I don't care its got 5.38s with a 4 speed and will only be 2wd for a while..its getting a cummins! Its not my dd so it can be a work in progress :) I will be starting soon!

#2 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Off-roading Automotive tire
Vehicle Room Metal Car Table
Auto part Steering part Automotive wheel system Wheel

Here's some pics of the nissan. D44 SAS, D44 rodeo rear w/ 4 wheel disks,5.38s, 37"mtr's, Yukon grizzly locker rear and zip front, about 10" lift (1.5" body, 8-9" suspension). Got a set of 3.5" stacks I want to use. They arnt hooked up in the pic just sitting on the box. I'm gunna cut the neck downs off the bottoms of them and bring them down to a few inches over the cab roof. Also included a pic of my old reverse gear. Put a new one in and last weekend was my 3rd time out with the new gear and guess what..BANG! so time to upgrade :)

I realize 5.38s suck and the rear 44 is a bit small. I have a rear 60 that Im gunna narrow while keeping it a full float setup. Gunna swap to 3/4 ton Chevy 8 lug outters on the front. 4.56s and a Detroit in the 60. Eventually I will swap in a 4wd 5 speed in place of the current 2wd t18. I'm planning on a set of 16" street lock wheels with a 37" MT tire. My truck will start turning away from being a wheeler I want to fix it up nice into something to drive for fun, go get fire wood out camping, ect.

#4 ·
I might end up doing that. Eventually id rather swap to all dodge parts including nv4500. Just makes the most sense to me for ease of getting parts. Maybe I'm off with that though

#8 ·
How long is the 2wd version? I may have a deal lined up on a divorced ford 205 if it doesn't make my rear angle rediculas

#10 ·
I have a M5R2 from a 1997 F150. I took these pictures in 2009.

NOTE: I remember reading "somewhere" that the shift lever on the 1997 and up m5R2 is further back than on the earlier trans. I have no clue if this is accurate.

Attachments

#9 ·
My power goal is eventually 200+Hp, 500+lbs tq. The m5r2 wouldn't like that id assume..but that's not happening for a while so for now if I can find a cheap m5 it will work well

#11 ·
Yeah, that looks like its maybe 3 to 4" further back than mine. Mine is a 91.

#13 ·
Cool ill try finding a 97+ trans and I'm leaning towards a divorced np205 unless someone thinks otherwise

#15 ·
I have a friend who will sell me one and I could use it with any 2wd trans if I later went to an nv4500 when I crank up the power

#16 · (Edited)
I have an h1c turbo but it looks small to me. Maybe someone can help me find out more about it. Ive found it was off a piece of case equipment but cant find specs or feedback on it. Assembly #3522900, serial #H 386802. I want to build a set of compounds with an hx30/hx40 combo. Anyone know how this h1c varient compares to an hx30 if at all?

#17 ·
Personally I would go with the over-engineered(read:german) ZF over the jap crap Mazda.

I am a professional mechainc and the japs for the most part engineer mechanical components with a very small if any safety margin if you want to call it that.

The germans and most domestic brands (chrysler garbage does not count) over build drivetrain components (NP205, dana axles, CUMMINS ENGINES, ect......)

#23 ·
Personally I would go with the over-engineered(read:german) ZF over the jap crap Mazda.
me too... it's also what ford uses in the versions of the f350 and f550 factory-fitted with the 4bt for some markets...

#18 · (Edited)
Ok so here's a question. I believe ive heard of this done but my truck is currently a tbi fuel system. If I remember right my fuel pressure runs around 10-15psi. That would be right in the ve pumps happy range right? Would I run the lines to the motors lift pump still? Or straight to the ve? That would make for an easy clean setup I don't see why it couldn't work well.

#19 ·
Anyone?

#20 · (Edited)
It seems most on this site have replaced the gasoline fuel injection in-tank pump with a pickup tube during the initial build. Most have been convinced by other board members that replacing the pump with a tube will yield greater reliability. Some have chosen to retain the fuel injection pump. From what I have read, keeping the fuel injection pump has proven successful for some, but not for others. For what it's worth, I plan to remove the in-tank pump when I install the QSB3.3T in my 1994 ZJ.

#21 ·
So I went to my local junk yard and found both a zf and m5r2. The zf was in a f250 gasser, that would bolt to the ford adapter right? But its also an electric speedo how would I make that work? Or there's the f150 m5r2 with speedo cable. I believe I can fit the fords cable into my nissans stock speedometer since the cable ends are the same. The zf has a married tcase and the m5 is 2wd and id find a divorced 205 to put behind it. Looking for some input I want to go buy one of them today or tomorrow

#22 ·
Go with the ZF if the price is the same and it fits in your tunnel. The only reason I chose a M5R2 over the ZF was price and availability. I've seen brand new M5R2s for $700! And rebuilds are dirt cheap.

#24 ·
Hmm just not sure on the tunnel clearance...thinkin more on it i might be better off sacrificing strength for size and potential cost if I need parts.

#25 ·
No 4x4 m5r2 at the yard I went to today :( trying a different yard tomorrow. If I found a 97+ trans would an older tcase with a cable speedo bolt onto it? Or was there something different like splines count or something? Hope to find a trans and make some progress soon

#27 ·
Auto part
Auto part Engine Automotive tire Automotive engine part Vehicle

got my m5r2 and tcase today! Pulled them from an '88 f150. Gunna get them all cleaned up. What options are there for the clutch hydraulics? It looks like the stupidest setup..

#29 ·
#28 ·
So I got my truck parked in the shop today. Getting ready to tare it down in the next couple days so pics will be flowing in here soon! My van has a small 7psi electric booster fuel pump in line with the stock lift pump. Is there an advantage to this set up? Would it supply my lift pump with a more constant pressure? In turn helping the ip cool and fuel available?

#30 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper

Made a little progress the other day. Should I just remove the core support? Or the whole clip? The whole clip would be a lot more work but probly worth it? It isnt an easy unbolted job there may be cutting involved.

#32 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Engine Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Car

Got the motor and trans/tcase out yesterday. About time. Moving alone slowly but surely. Been driving around my hostess van before I take it apart haha. Couple nights back we fit 15 people inside and went off jumping big speed bumps pegged at 55 late at night (no cars close). Yet we still got the cops called on us and they caught us as we were performing a Chinese fire drill..cop couldn't help but laugh. Good times lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.