4BT swap into GMC Sonoma.
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4BT swap into GMC Sonoma.

New Registered User
    Thanks

Default 4BT swap into GMC Sonoma.

I'm starting this swap soon with my step dad, and have a couple of questions about buying the motor..I'm most likely going to buy a Long block, and was wandering what all I would have to buy to have a complete motor..Plus we are doing a SAS swap and a spring over. Just want to now a ball park on the cost of motor, I can get a long block anywhere from 500-100.

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Try to get complete motor running save a butload of $..

Thanks

I would 2nd the motion on the complete engine. All the small parts will quickly add up, plus the frustration of buying parts that are "supposed: to fit, then don't. then you're buying them again.
    on the longblock route.......you'd need head, exhaust manifold, intake, turbo, injection pump, headbolts, possibly motor plate, maybe bellhousing, maybe starter, alternator, maybe fan, and lots of other stuff. (not sure what your longblock find consists of)
    I know the l-block for 100-500 seems like your getting a good start on a motor for cheap, but in the end it might not be the best way.
    You might also consider a 5.9 6 cyl into your Sonoma. The 6's are generally less expensive than a 4bt. Check out my son's 93 S10 with 5.9 Cummins. There are some pics at www.dieselsnguns.blogspot.com Not sure what pics are there right now, new ones or old, but it is now twin turboed with a P-pump. Used to be a VE pump and single S300 turbo.

Oh........just thought...........you said you were doing a SAS. yeah, maybe the 6 cyl would be a tight fit with a T-case and front diff to work around.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Well you will need to do a spring over to fit that engine in there! I'm in the middle of a 4BD1T 88 S10 swap, I was going to go the SAS route but I needed to lift the truck around 8 plus inches to get the oil pan to clear. Needless to say I don't want to lift my truck anymore then 4-5" over stock. Now the truck is sitting on a 2000 ZR2 frame.
    You can always go with a 4BD1T or 4BD2T Isuzu motor. There smoother running and cheaper at the moment.. There is becoming more adapters available for this motor, meaning the price will go up..
    99 Superduty 7.3 powerstroke w/ZF6- soon to be 6BT powered?
    83 Volvo 244 D24+T+IC, daily driver 35mpg, max fuel and 20psi boost.
    87 Volvo 745 D24T swapped- new turbo and IC in future....

New Registered User
    Thanks

hey all i have recently acquired a running 2001 gmc sonoma it has the zr2 package would this be a good base for a 4b swap i work for cummins so i have no problems getting a complete engine for next to nothing but not to sure about dropping it off into a truck like this. ps. this would be my first attempt at a conversion so any advice would be appreciated.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

When you speak of a long block are you talking about a used engine that has been stripped or a rebuilt one. Most rebuilt long blocks run more like $3000 instead of $500-1000. With a long block which is block with internals and the head you will add $2000-3000 more in parts to complete. You'd be missing injection pump, exhaust manifold and turbo, fan hub assembly, oil cooler assembly, alternator and mounts, fuel lines and lift pump, and lots of other little odds and ends you get with a complete engine. Decent complete VE pump engines can be found in the $2500-3000 range. P pump models more like $4000-5000. Even better yet buy a running bread van, recycle the aluminum and steel and keep the engine. Some guys have done that and come in under $2000 for a running engine.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.