Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

3.9 isb 205-250hp tune?

69K views 105 replies 33 participants last post by  Buckeyeperformancediesels 
#1 ·
everyone mentions the european or brazilian f250 3.9 isb to have a 205-250 hp tune on the ecm. but can anyone actually come up with an engine serial number, a cpl number, or a vehical vin number so it might be possible to get this tune from cummins through quickserve. even a part number for the calibration, the parameters, or the tune would be appreciated.

im working on trying to get more that 170 hp out of one of these engines. and starting to seem like im going to be limited by the ecm. and even more of a pain dealing with cummins and dodge to try and make something work. Um using 5.9 common rail injection pump and injectors as well as bigger turbo. adding a hamilton cam, pushrods, and valve springs. so a little more than the stock 170 hp would be nice.

#58 ·
Hey Guys,

After a lot of digging I have it. ECM code is T90169 (Latest revision T90169.02). This is 200hp@2900rpm, 160hp@3200rpm governed speed. This suits CPL 8499, if yours is different let me know what you have and I will compare to see if it will work.

Any Cummins workshop should be able to load this into your ECM if you just take it in as a loose part. No tuning required.

#61 ·
Well I have had the T90169.02 loaded in my ECM no problem there, ECM back in truck and no start.... go into the ECM with INSITE and I have a code ...."269 Antitheft Password Valid Indicator - Data Erratic, Intermittent, or Incorrect" so I go into features and parameters to make sure that immobilizer is disabled (witch it is) and just under the immobilizer folder there is another folder that I have not seen before " Instrument Cluster Key " this is "Enabled" and I can not disable it because it it says "this feature is locked because: Instrument Cluster Key = read-only".

Where do I go from here, has anyone actually had this running yet? so close yet so far lol

Adi

#65 ·
That is the calibration thats been mentioned earlier in this thread. It's the 200hp ford F-250 calibration. I programmed my ecu with that calibration and it also says " Instrument Cluster Key " enabled. I was playing around with turning it off with Calterm, but wasn't successful. I one other thing to try but I not to hopeful about that.
I have been playing with the idea of just raising the rpm limits and power of the original calibration. The layout of the software looks a lot the same as the 2003-2004.5 Dodge Cummins so I can maybe use the same tuning methods from there.

#67 ·
Which calibration do you have?
I've also been working at this from a different angle. I found all the RPM limits and I'm working toward making a higher rpm tune base on the stock 170hp T90076.11 calibration. I saw some strange things in the F-250 T90169 calibration and thought this way might be more headache free.

#69 ·
Sent me a PM with your email. I'll sent an unexpired one to you.
Hopefully it works but it also says Instrument Cluster Key "Enabled". With a quick look at both calibrations I didn't see a difference but I'll try to spend some more time checking this out this weekend.

#72 ·
jr2185, so is the T90076 the original factory Calibration? I don't need extra HP per se, and I want to keep the factory 420 Ft Lbs, so, I really just want to raise the Redline to 3,000 rpm or so to enable the NV4500 gear spread to work well.

#74 ·
I really wish one of you guys was here in Oregon! :jeep2:

#75 ·
I am still working the cluster key, I also picked up some hardware and software from Cummins. Worst case I might be able to make my own Calibration. My goal is 4k RPMs the ecu taps out I think around 4400 I read and a solid 300hp clean tune.

#77 ·
Steed,

What version of Insite are you using and are you using calterm to modify the hp tune. Or have you just changed the governed rpm so far. Why are you changing to a dodge 5.9 cam gear? I must have missed something in the hours days weeks months of read these threads. I am going down to my cummins shop next week to get insite. I have a inline 6. I would like to modify my ecm myself, gives me the ability to keep playing with my engine.

Also thanks jr2185. I'm going to give it a try.

ISB 170/Allison 1000 in a 1969 Ford F100 LWB 2wd

Thanks

#78 ·
Wow, good to see this thread is still alive!
I would really like to just have a 3200rpm red line.
With the NV4500 I shift twice before I get across an intersection.
I do love my ISB170, its pulled my 5th wheel from coast to coast in 2012 and then a 5 week trip into the US in 2014. Its a daily driver and has never had any issues other than an alternator (Isuzu with vac pump) that stranded me in Kingman Az for a few days.
Hopefully someone will offer the service of changing the RPM.
I had so much fun building my Dakota that I started a little business but using the VW TDI's instead of the ISB's. http://gastodiesel.tdconversions.com/

#81 ·
Got insite up and running using inline 6 and built a mini backbone j1939 with a clip jumper and 2 120 ohm resistors in parallel to talk to the ecu. Got the drivetrain protection disabled so no more torque derate and changed govener to 3000. Trying to go above 3000 but parameters for speed and rpm are locked at 120mph and 3000rpm. I'm assuming I still need something unlocked in the ecu. Anyone have any ideas? Is calterm needed to change these parameters above the said limits? I'll keep playing with it, trying to see if I can back door with terminal. Thanks

#82 ·
Has anyone made any progress with the South American 250HP calibration?
Last I heard there were issues with an instrument cluster requirement that needed a workaround.
All I want is to get my redline/governor pushed up to 3,000 or so.
I have the ISB170 engine and am living in Oregon.
Anyone out this way?

#83 ·
I am currently talking to a company in Brazil about it, my buddy is actually talking to him since he's Portuguese. Working on actually getting a physical cluster. Can someone send me the Brazilian calibration?

Climer97007, I believe jr2185 will do it if you send a pm. I'll give it a shot also if you send to me, just pay the shipping and send me your ecu and I'll do no charge. PM if you want more info.

#85 · (Edited)
Do you still need the Brazilian cal? PM me your email and I'll send it to you. I've played around with it for a little but got nowhere with the security. I finally just decided to concentrate on modifying the original calibration and also mapped out all the maps needed for tuning. I've gotten the rpms raised but haven't done much testing for power since I don't have a vehicle like this.
Here a picture of all the maps I found. The white ones are the ones that I had to modify and/or rescale to reach 3200rpms.
Green Text Font Technology Screenshot

#87 ·
Hey Guys just dropping in here i have a QSB4.5 160HP i believe out of a tractor going into my international Pickup.
I was hoping for 320 to 350 hps
is there anyone that can do a number on my ECU to assist with me achieving my goal.
I am happy to post the ECU to you as i am not the best with computers [know enough to get my self into deep **** and not be able to get back out without turning it off.]
I have included 2 photos of my engine data plate and my ECU Data plate
By the way i have stolen turbo from this motor for my 4BT 3.9 so maybe look at Twins for the QSB Text Font Number Nameplate Metal
Text Vehicle

#88 ·
Hey Guys just dropping in here i have a QSB4.5 160HP i believe out of a tractor going into my international Pickup.
I was hoping for 320 to 350 hps
is there anyone that can do a number on my ECU to assist with me achieving my goal.
I am happy to post the ECU to you as i am not the best with computers [know enough to get my self into deep **** and not be able to get back out without turning it off.]
I have included 2 photos of my engine data plate and my ECU Data plate
By the way i have stolen turbo from this motor for my 4BT 3.9 so maybe look at Twins for the QSB View attachment 106722 View attachment 106730
Which ECU do you have? I have a CM800 and made my own tune for it. It can rev to 4k and I'm hoping for a solid 300+HP out of it.

#92 ·
everyone mentions the european or brazilian f250 3.9 isb to have a 205-250 hp tune on the ecm. but can anyone actually come up with an engine serial number, a cpl number, or a vehical vin number so it might be possible to get this tune from cummins through quickserve. even a part number for the calibration, the parameters, or the tune would be appreciated.

im working on trying to get more that 170 hp out of one of these engines. and starting to seem like im going to be limited by the ecm. and even more of a pain dealing with cummins and dodge to try and make something work. Um using 5.9 common rail injection pump and injectors as well as bigger turbo. adding a hamilton cam, pushrods, and valve springs. so a little more than the stock 170 hp would be nice.
We have been spoiled by the aftermarket custom chips and tunes, like the Adrenaline, but they had a huge market to sell into. Maybe you should check into the after market ECU,s designed for diesels. Dump the factory stuff, and go aftermarket, like the gas crowd did 20 years ago.

#94 ·
Jeremy, how much do you need to turn up the RPM? Is it a transmission shifting issue? The engines peak torque comes at 1600 RPM. After that you begin to lose power. HP peaks at 2300 RPM but RPM limit is set to 2600 RPM. If you need more RPM because of the vehicle gearing, you may find the fuel mileage starting to drop a bunch anything much past 2000 RPM. Most people try to engineer the swap so normal cruising speed is in the sub 2000 RPM range. No problem revving higher to shift gears but don't want to operate at that higher RPM. Sort of curious what is a 50 HP injector? That tell you nothing. On a regular B engine with 105 HP they can easily do 200 HP with stock injectors. This is a common rail engine so it's a bit more complex. Has the JK got a transmission and drive train that can handle the extra torque. That engine puts out 420 lb ft @ 1600 RPM. A 438 HP 454 Chevy only has 500 lb ft. Push the HP on the ISB up past 200 and you may have more than that.

#95 ·
Char, thanks for replying.
Yes the added rpm is mostly for shifting. I did an adapter plate nd mounted a GM 4L80E trans and a NP241C transfer case. I did 1 ton axles and have them regeared to 4.88. I think it needs something in the 5.?? range though to be optimized for the 35" tires.
I bought some brand new bosch injectors for a 5.9 and justtold him I wanted a bit more power. Im aware the "50hp" nomenclature is normally associated with mechanical injectors.

To be honest, what I REALLY need is a pinout so I can read the CANBUS. The jeep seems down on power and I have zero idea what rail pressure or really any of the sensors are seeing or whats unhappy.
I had a buddy in Florida that was going to help me figure it out on the tuning side but he's flaked out for the last3 months. My daughter and I built this for her 16th birthday and I feel bad that she hasnt been able to drive it the past 3 months.

#96 ·
Something seems a bit off here. You have 35" tires and 4.88 gears. That puts you at 2285 RPM @ 65 MPH in OD. That's way too high. You're way out of the torque range of the engine and the system is starting to defuel. A 4.11 gear puts you at 1925 RPM which a whole bunch better. A 3.73 gear is 1747 RPM which would be considered near perfect for a Cummins. Could even go to 3.55 and not be lugging that engine since its peak torque is 1600 RPM. Another thing. The 4L80e has a torque input limit of 440 lb ft. In stock form and that ISB is already 420 lb ft. Do you have a diesel torque converter? Need one with a stall speed around 1300 RPM.

#97 ·
Any input on the wiring diagram for the Canbus?
If I can get that, I think I'll be alot bettter off figuring out why its such a turd.

The 1 ton axles had 3.73s and it was just sooo sluggish. The 4.88s did seem to help but to be honest theres no tach. I couldnt replicate the correct signal to make the jeep dash work and didnt want an aftermarket tach but I guess its inevitable

The 4l80e came from behind gm 6.6 diesels so I assumed it could handle the torque of this little 4 cylinder. I do have a custom converter with a 1200 rpm stall