Which diesel engines suitable vs not for SVO?
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which diesel engines suitable vs not for SVO?

Thanks

Default Which diesel engines suitable vs not for SVO?

I am hoping to get into diesels for one primary reason - SVO. I'm hoping to do some experiments growing plant oils and wanting to use that straight up as my fuel... no processing into biodiesel or similar if I can help it, just straight up simplicity - fill my tank with Crisco and lets go. :P

Suitability for that, preferably without even modifications (just heating my fuel tank, I mean not engine mods) matters more than absolute best mileage possible, because if I do it correctly i'm hoping my fuel will be cheap enough that it won't matter as much to me. What I mean is that i'm more prone to go with an inexpensive diesel "just to get on SVO sooner" than saving up or financing out $7000 just to get the absolute max efficiency with a 4bt or similar, plus i'm not sure if the 4bt is as happy on SVO or not.

My understanding is that in general IDI engines run better on SVO. This is fine because they are often alot cheaper to get into as well anyways. For instance the GM 6.2, the Ford 6.9/7.3 IDI, and the Mercedes OM616/OM617 models. But it's possible certain IDI models don't work so well for other reasons, and it's possible certain Direct Injection models are an exception. (like the VW TDI's talked of running SVO alot)

Even those DI with a reputation for running SVO though sometimes I wonder about the safety of, if it's just no problems YET or enhanced wear/stress on certain parts... I mean the viscosity difference matters alot more when youre pushing 25,000psi through injectors, the fuel no longer flows the same. Even if it runs, I wonder whether it's inviting long term trouble or a higher risk of certain trouble.

But for the moment i'm just looking for a quick and dirty list of engines of all sizes more and less suitable for SVO, or quick and dirty rules (ie - X type of injector pump or something) to sort into one category or another.

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

theoretically, nearly every diesel can run on SVO, altough newer ones with EGR are quite problematic... indirect injection, due to the higher combustion temperatures, lead to a more efficient burning of the glycerin, without the unburnt glycerin deposit issues around valve seats and cylinder walls, which can also lead to lube oil contamination... in a direct-injection engine, pre-heating of the oil leads to a reduction of this issue, and due to the temperature the oil getting thinner increases the efficiency of the injection and reduces the risk of getting injector tips clogged... for a direct-injection engine, inline pumps (such as bosch p-pumps) are usually quoted to be more favorable to SVO/WVO due to the higher injection pressures achieved...
    http://formspring.me/kamikazeondrugz

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

Thanks

mercedes om617 is a great engine for SVO. My 4b loves it too. the problem up here is rust, but there are now a few co's offering MBZ to chevy, etc engine adapters, including Bensons(?) in Ham Lake.

what crops? Camelina is supposed to be a large yield with low input. One member here(And in MN) is working on the same concept, camelina + screw press, = fuel
    99 Durango 4BTAA P pump, Glowshift gauges, hx30w9 (today), 3K GSK, custom ground 100 plate, AFC tuned, 96 47RE +billet single disc TC)

My Build thread

Thanks

Algae is the way to go. P-pumps

Thanks

as far as vegetable oils go, sunflower oil has been one of the most suitable to direct-injection engines, successfully used in paraguay and argentina... but it must not be hydrogenated...
    http://formspring.me/kamikazeondrugz

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

+ Reply to Thread