Ford 4 cyl diesel in 4wd Bronco II
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ford 4 cyl diesel in 4wd Bronco II

Thanks

Default Ford 4 cyl diesel in 4wd Bronco II

I finally joined this forum so I thought I would share some pics of my 89 Bronco II 4x4 with a Ford 144 4 cylinder diesel swap. I have already had it together enough to drive about 1000 miles, I am now removing the engine to put in another identical one that I am rebuilding. When I put the current one in I didn't know its condition and of course it's worn out (burns oil, leaky rear main, etc.) Yes it is basically a tractor engine with 50 hp at the crank but even with the worn out one I was able to get 31mpg with a top speed of about 65mph. I made the bell housing myself with help from the fab shop at a steel yard for about $200 (most of that being the $100/hr cost of having stuff cut on their laser table. I used a stock Bronco II manual tranny (mitsubishi FM146) with the stock clutch/slave cylinder and the stock diesel engine flywheel. The truck was an automatic stock so I also had to convert to the 5 spd while doing the swap (actually very easy on these) Once I have the engine out I will probably add some more pics of inside the bellhousing and the clutch etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

next a pyro, turbo and some fuel?
    48 gmc 453T - 45 chevy 1 ton 453N - 8v53n - 51 Mack A51T

Thanks

My goal with this one is fuel mileage and ability to run a wmo blend so no power mods. Thought about a turbo but the exhaust manifold is tucked in behind the intake manifold so they both would have to be custom and complicated. Plus this engine would probably only take about 6-7 psi without issues so it wasn't worth it. Someday I will build one for power was thinking 6v92 powered 2wd F350...

Thanks

I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sorenson2009 View Post
    My goal with this one is fuel mileage and ability to run a wmo blend so no power mods. Thought about a turbo but the exhaust manifold is tucked in behind the intake manifold so they both would have to be custom and complicated. Plus this engine would probably only take about 6-7 psi without issues so it wasn't worth it. Someday I will build one for power was thinking 6v92 powered 2wd F350...
    Good luck with that... That engine is 41x39x47 and has a dry weight of 2,000 pounds.

Thanks

firewall cutting and med duty front axle no problem...

Thanks

That's fricken cool, like what you did.
    It will never be really finished 1965 GMC 1/2 TON 4X4- 4BT-M5R2 Divorced Rockwell Transfer Case. Dana 44 Front and Rear. 3200 Gov. Spring. TDC Fuel Pin. P/S -PB. On 33X10.50 X15 M/S. Rancho 9000

Thanks

Great project. Small vehicle/ small diesel/ low budget/ experiment and see what kind of results you get. I have a Cat skid loader engine in an S-10 for my dailey driver, and my project this winter is a 3 cyl Perkins in a suzuki sidekick. I live in St. Louis Pk. We should talk sometime, PM me if you want to around some ideas.
    Jeff

Thanks

thats pretty cool. let me know if you guys are having a twin cities mini diesel swappper get together...
    99 Durango 4BTAA P pump, Glowshift gauges, hx30w9 (today), 3K GSK, custom ground 100 plate, AFC tuned, 96 47RE +billet single disc TC)

My Build thread

Thanks

Someday I will build one for power was thinking 6v92 powered 2wd F350...

Got one in my motorhome that I converted from a transit bus about 8 years ago. Its enough motor to push this thing 80 mph and you're gonna put one in a pick up???

1970 F250 Crewcab SB. VE 4bt. M5R2, Hx30/Hx35 Twins, 40hp stix, DennyT stage 2 pin, Intercooled, 3200 gov spring, Starwheel cranked, smoke screw screwed, M&H dynamic timing advance, Hydroboosted.http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...ins/index.html
    1991 Gillig Phantom, Converted transit bus. 6v92t Detroit Diesel, Allison 4 speed. 6500 watt Diesel gen on board.
    1998 Dodge Ram 2500 12v, 4"TB, 4gsk, BHAF, TST Spring, AFC tuned. Stockish.

Thanks

Here are some pics of the rebuilt motor almost ready to go in.

WP_000031.jpg

WP_000030.jpg

As for the 6v92 in a F350 I am a bus mechanic (coach and school) so I am well aware of this engines power weight and size.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tjflicek View Post
    Great project. Small vehicle/ small diesel/ low budget/ experiment and see what kind of results you get. I have a Cat skid loader engine in an S-10 for my dailey driver, and my project this winter is a 3 cyl Perkins in a suzuki sidekick. I live in St. Louis Pk. We should talk sometime, PM me if you want to around some ideas.
    Jeff
    What cat engine in the S-10? I work in SLP but I live out in Montrose which is the next town west of Delano. Which is actually my whole reason for this swap, good mpg and 4wd to get to work and back.

Thanks

What cat engine in the S-10?
    maybe it's one of those perkins-designed ones

such as this one: http://www.cat.com/cda/files/2525088/7/LEHH0504.pdf
    http://formspring.me/kamikazeondrugz

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

Thanks

Sorensen, that is going to be one nice go getter!

Lonno, nice bus and what a paint job!
    It will never be really finished 1965 GMC 1/2 TON 4X4- 4BT-M5R2 Divorced Rockwell Transfer Case. Dana 44 Front and Rear. 3200 Gov. Spring. TDC Fuel Pin. P/S -PB. On 33X10.50 X15 M/S. Rancho 9000

Thanks

EXCELLENT Bus! Cool idea to put small diesel in small truck/SUV!

Although my wish is a 4BT in a jellybean F-150!

Thanks

As for the 6v92 in a F350 I am a bus mechanic (coach and school) so I am well aware of this engines power weight and size.
    I don't doubt your capabilities sir, just how in the world would you fit one and more importantly the tranny into an F350. Coaches from the 70/80/90's era such as MCI's and Eagles had mostly 8v71's. A lot of transit buses used the 6v92. Both of those carried a LOT of weight (50/60 passengers). School buses that carried small children seemed to lean towards the Cummins 12v. The 6v92 just seems like overkill for a pickup.

Anyways, cool project you got going.
    Dave
    1970 F250 Crewcab SB. VE 4bt. M5R2, Hx30/Hx35 Twins, 40hp stix, DennyT stage 2 pin, Intercooled, 3200 gov spring, Starwheel cranked, smoke screw screwed, M&H dynamic timing advance, Hydroboosted.http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...ins/index.html
    1991 Gillig Phantom, Converted transit bus. 6v92t Detroit Diesel, Allison 4 speed. 6500 watt Diesel gen on board.
    1998 Dodge Ram 2500 12v, 4"TB, 4gsk, BHAF, TST Spring, AFC tuned. Stockish.

Thanks

Sorensen
    It's a 3024 2.2 liter Cat which is a rebadged Perkins 400C Series like cripple rooster suspected.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lonno View Post
    The 6v92 just seems like overkill for a pickup.
    i've already seen some f350s with the 3-71 at youtube... the 6v92 seems like overkill, but would be nice to get the big-block die-hard fanboys pissed off at the street-racings
    http://formspring.me/kamikazeondrugz

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

Thanks

Sorenson,
    Whats new on your Bronco II project? Where did you ever find one of them up here that isn't rusted into the ground?
    Jeff

Thanks

[QUOTE=Lonno;202888] just how in the world would you fit one and more importantly the tranny into an F350.

No Problem!!! Here's a Cummins N14 in a F150
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j__Hu...playnext=1Dave
    Last edited by twiisted71; 11-11-2012 at 01:28 PM.
    Taking my toys and heading to another sandbox.

Thanks

Sorenson2009,
    Any update on this project? Hope everything is going OK on it
    Jeff

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post

no problem!!! Here's a cummins n14 in a f150
    1995 ford f250 with a 500hp cummins n14 in the bed. Cummins drives the truck. it still has the original small v8 under the hood for ac, power steering, 12vdc, power brakes, etc. also provides a counter weight to keep the front wheels on the ground. Yes, it has wheeli bars.
    classic!!
    1995 Dodge Ram 2500 6BT Manual Tranny 4x4
    1980 Ford Bronco 4BT with Solid Axle Swap riding on 37" Swampers
    2000 VW Jetta TDI pulling 48-50 mpg

Thanks

I will have more pics of the completed project soon I have driven it 5K miles so far with no problems. I get an honest 27 to 31 mpg depending on temperature (warming it up and -20 are hard on mileage) It starts much better in cold than I expected too, using the intake heaters I have started it not plugged in down to -3 with minimal cranking. It has some rust but in better shape than most 80's Fords in MN. The only thing I have left to do on it at this point is get the a/c hoses figured out, I will probably need to have one of them custom made.

Thanks

Hey man... this is a sweet little build...

If you ever do toss the idea of making a bit more power around... I'd look into a supercharger considering your space issues with mounting a turbo... pick up an eaton m90 blower from an older gm 3.8... make a flat plate manifold for it with a tube coming off the bottom... overdrive the piss out of it and mount it where ever you can.... would be a really cheap way of getting a little pressure in that motor

Keep up the good work!
    -Chris
    03' Z71 Tahoe
    315/75/R17 Goodyear Duratracs
    Cummins 4bta Swap - HX30W/WH1C Compounds
    "366" Gov. Spring, Turned Pin, Still tuning... ...
    Built 4l80e / USShift.com Controller

Thanks

I will have more pics of the completed project soon I have driven it 5K miles so far with no problems. I get an honest 27 to 31 mpg depending on temperature (warming it up and -20 are hard on mileage) It starts much better in cold than I expected too, using the intake heaters I have started it not plugged in down to -3 with minimal cranking. It has some rust but in better shape than most 80's Fords in MN. The only thing I have left to do on it at this point is get the a/c hoses figured out, I will probably need to have one of them custom made.
    I'll be looking forward to more pictures. Glad to here it's working out so far, how is the performance regarding cruising speed and acceleration?

Jeff

+ Reply to Thread