Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Need a HP Dana 44 diagram

18K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  twiisted71 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm getting ready to reassemble my front axle and cannot find a nice size, READABLE High Pinion Dana 44 exploded diagram. I'm really interested in the order of the shims, slingers, baffles. Today I ground down a set of mock-up spindle bearings, and just wanted to make sure I got everything in the correct order. I'm hoping that I can use my carrier as is (yeah I know, fat chance), so I haven't pulled its bearings off and ground them into mock-ups yet. So, if you have a link or a nice pic you'd share I would greatly appreciate it. I've also posted the best outers assembly pic I've come across, in case someone needs it.

This is the best I was able to find. It must be a HighPinion or it won't have the proper parts for my set-up.

http://www.fordification.com/tech/images/schematics/Dana447F_4WD-front-axle.jpg

Here is an excellent diagram of the locking hub and spindle parts for a Dana 44 (except early HD with external locks)

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is a link to the Dana tech manual library. After opening this link click on "light duty", then scroll down to find your D44 manual
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5310-3.pdf

#3 ·
Thanks GGG

I have that downloaded. Terrible pictures and I'm a visual learner. I had to just search other people's gear change threads to get enough pics to make sure I had everything where it needed to be. Beginner's luck but I managed to get the backlash and preload and pattern all right smack in the middle of the acceptable ranges!

Now for something different! I had to order a short inner shaft and two outers due to shaft seal and spindle bearing wear. I got everything spit shined, painted, and assembled with new u-joints. Stabbed them this morning and something didn't look right. look at the snap ring grooves' locations. Now I'm held up waiting on another outer with the proper groove location. (its the one closest to the end).

#5 ·
The company shipped me another stub after sending some pics to show what I wanted. New stub arrived with not 1, not 2, but 3! grooves. All in the wrong place. So I whipped out the grinder and modded the first stub shaft this weekend. Thanks GGG, I was wanting to have everything "perfect", but........ Anyway the guy I bought the shafts from told me that they don't even ring the snap rings in their trucks anymore!, and they are getting longer u-joint life. I've never heard of such, but I don't claim to know it all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.