Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Cummins Remote Oil Filter Adapter

35K views 47 replies 19 participants last post by  Rob75 
#1 ·
First off if the powers that control feel this belongs in another section that is AOK. I wasn't really sure so I put it here. Many installs run into the situation where the oil filter and other parts want to share the same space. We can't do without oil so the only alternative is a remote oil filter. There are several types available including the one from Cummins. However, if you have ever priced one of those it may take you heart a few seconds to start beating again. Last time I priced it the number was $370.31 plus tax and shipping. In other words $400+. That is for a bare part with no fittings, hoses, or oil pressure relief valve. In my research of tha part I discovered that probably 90% or more of those are used overseas. There are very few applications in the USA. So I began an overseas search and I finally ended it today. China is the prime manufacturer and user of the part so that's where I looked. There are companies there that make this part for Cummins China and they can be had for around $40. The catch is you have to buy quantity and the freight is mind blowing. I really didn't want to get into the buying and selling business and didn't really have $4000 of spare cash. We all know how that goes. I stumbled on a better solution, at least for me, on ebay. A new Chinese seller appeared about 2 weeks ago with some small Cummins parts but in their info they said the had access to other parts. So, I gave them a shot. On Oct 21 I emailed them the part #. 24 hrs later I had a quote. I requested an invoice sent to my Paypal account (yes they do Paypal). Oct 23 I got the invoice and paid it. Oct 26 the package had arrived in NY and was mailed USPS Priority mail. Of course there was a little storm activity up that way and the package finally arrived today. So how did the part look? I is perfect. The casting work is actually better than the original Cummins ones I've seen. The part has been glass beaded prior to the finish machine work. Everything is as it should be. There is one strange thing that I did notice. On the 2 large ports for the oil filter hoses they are marked IN and OUT. Be warned that IN is OUt and OUt is IN. I believe those ports are labeled in relationship to the oil filter. IN to the oil filter and OUt from the oil filter. I noticed this when I looked at the back and noticed the IN port shares the same space as the feed line for the turbo. I check an Cummins diagram and the casting and machining are correct. Just remember this is you should get one of these. Now the $64 question, how much did it cost. Well a little more than that but the total including shipping was $115. That is a heck of a lot easier to swallow than $400. Here is a list of what you will need not including fittings or gasket.

3284170 Lube Cover
3918428 (J918428) Plunger Oil Regulator
3918427 (J918427) Spring
3915787 (J915787) Plug
3909397 (75285739) O Ring

I sourced the small parts from Case Tractor which are the numbers in (). They were about $5 cheaper than Cummins. I'm sort of a cheap SOB and $5 is $5. Like I said earlier I'm not in the business and this is just for anyone who might feel the need for this item. The company is Flybearlove. You can find them on Ebay or if you wish to email them contact Xiaolan Chen FLYBEARLOVE@hotmail.com . Just remember it takes at least 24hrs for the email since they are half way around the world. On Ebay just look for parts like Cummins valves and you'll find them. I went the Ebay route because it seemed simpler. By the way the bag the part was in has the Cummins logo so I guess this is a genuine part, just made in China. Good luck to all.

See less See more
#5 ·
Can you elaborate a bit for me?

What exactly did your $115 get? i.e. the block of roughly rectangular aluminum that covers the oil cooler, spin on unit like Pac-brake or??

Does it come with a filter mount?

How much did the small parts run you?

Any pics?

Thanks, I was considering one of the spin on remote filter units on ebay for $79, does your part use better flow (larger)ports?

#6 · (Edited)
What you get for the $115 is the blank remote filter plate. Nothing more. You must provide everything else. This unit has more clearance that the add on adapters. I obtained my filter mount on Ebay. I have a dual set up for either a bypass filter system of just dual Cummins filters. The small parts costs from Cummins and (Case) are as follows.

3918428 (J918428) Plunger Oil Regulator $17.61 ($13.28)
3918427 (J918427) Spring 2.93 ( 3.33)
3915787 (J915787) Plug 9.15 ( 10.01)
3909397 (75285739) O Ring 1.07 ( 1.23)

Total $30.76 ($27.85)

The Cummins prices came from Cummins Atlantic and the Case parts from Coleman Equipment Co. If you have some connections you could beat these prices but this is about the cheapest Cummins parts I've ever purchased. As far a port sizes the Cummins adapter has a 1/4" NP port for the turbo oil feed and I believe two 1/2" NP filter line ports. It may just be a matter of opinion but I think the Cummins adapter looks a lot neater on the engine than one of the add ons. He is a photo of the part and a Cummins Quick Server diagram. Many of the Cummins part #'s are changed.

Attachments

#11 ·
The main problem with the units like Summit Racing has is that the hoses and fittings are still in the same place as the old oil filter. If you have a turbo that is spaced forward like using a cut down commonrail or Ford style 6bt manifold you will still have issues with the turbo and oil line fittings occupying the same area. The Cummins one put the hoses down at the bottom well away from other parts. If you run twins the space gets even more cluttered.

#15 ·
what gasket does this thing need?

#16 ·
6th post down

#18 ·
For that price one could buy a complete Amsoil relocation kit with everything minus the filter for $400. Though I've heard people saying that those kits will shorten the life of the engine because the oil isn't getting to where it needs to go. Those are nearly the same thing as this kit. Please chime in to clarify this.

#19 ·
I would see no way it can shorten engine life by improving oil filtering. The remote filter system designed by Cummins changes nothing except where the oil filter is located. Many heavy equipment manufacturers such a Komatsu use them so the oil filter and fuel filter are on the same side of the engine for ease of maintenance. The Amsoil system only adds a bypass filter which has no effect on the oil flow since it is after the primary filter. By the way, Cummins recommends and uses bypass filters on all their larger engines. On my twin filter head I plan to use the Fleetguard LF16035 primary filter which is the Dodge 5.9/6.7 filter and a Fleetguard LF777 bypass unit which is equal to the largest one Amsoil sell but a heck of lot cheaper. My only custom part in the system will the the adapter to fit that filter since it is huge. I figure my overall cost will be under $300 if I can find a friendly machinist to make the adapter part.

#20 ·
I plan to use the Fleetguard LF777 bypass unit which is equal to the largest one Amsoil sell but a heck of lot cheaper.
Char whats the micron rating on that filter? I use a Donaldson P551550 and its good for 3m.

#21 ·
I'm not sure whether Cummins states the micron rating on that filter. I'll check and see if I can find out. I have read that some of the micron ratings on filters including Amsoil are a bit exagerated. Makes a good selling feature but doesn't necessarily tell you how good the filter is.

#22 ·
Red, did a little checking. Cummins rates the LF777 98% efficient @ 10 micron and 95% @ 5 micron. Here's a link to a Cummins bulletin explaining about their filters. The LF16035 main filter is one of the new StrataPore models. The LF777 flows 2 GPM so in theory it will fillter the 10 qts (actually 12 qts with this filter) of oil about every 1.5 minutes while the main filter will filter it many times during that period. The only drawback the LF777 will have for some is it's sheer size. At 4.5" in diameter and nearly 10" tall it's a chunk. Both Cummins and Fram offer a remote filter head for this filter if someone wants to put it separate from the main filter location.

http://www.fleetguard.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/MB10046.pdf

#23 ·
When you go the distance with a standard oil filter then a second filter of .5 micron do I drain the oil like a normal oil change or do I just add oil or do I just change the one filter? And if the engine is used in a daily driver and worked on occasion is it done every 10,000 miles or longer? The way companies write the description it's very confusing and reviews from people are mixed...both say you can go 10,000+ miles on one oil change and some say you change the oil some don't...gets confusing getting mixed signals.

Going 10,000 miles on one change sounds nice. Also where would I go or send my oil to get an analysis of it?

#24 · (Edited)
Normally in a bypass filter system you change only the primary filter and the oil. Unless you have very dirty conditions the change period can be 10,000 miles or longer. The bypass filter may only be changed once a year or longer depending on how many miles you drive. I believe Cummins has some bulletins on extended oil changes. With petroleum based oils they do wear out so we can't use them indefinitely. After a while the oil will get thicker. I worked for a company where we changed all our delivery trucks from gas to propane. That fuel burns ultra clean and produces virtually no soot. The oil never got dirty but did thicken over time. Another factor is acids in the oil caused by byproducts of combustion. This isn't as bad as it used to be with ULS diesel. If you were running a pure synthetic diesel oil then oil changes might go 20,000 miles or longer. They make test kits to keep watch on the oil quality. Cost wise petro vs synthetic may not be a big difference. You pay a premium for synthetic but it's not as big a gap as it used to be. Most people don't use a bypass filter system because they don't drive enough miles to make it cost effective. Generally if you use a high quality filter like the Fleetguard StrataPore and good quality oil you are fine with the single set up. To me the twin set up has a cool factor and it can't hurt if done right.

#27 ·
If you want the last word in bypass oil filtration, check the link below. These guys are proven, and I've seen what their systems can do. If I ever run across a cheap used one at a garage sale, it will be mine! http://www.gulfcoastfilters.com/model_01_bypass_oil_filter.htm
GCF builds the best stuff. Dodge boys have been strapping the 0-1 and 0-2 models to their frame rails for years, filled with 1 or 2 rolls of Bounty, "the-quicker-picker-upper". You'll only have to change the 0-2's diaper once a year on a 6BT.

#26 ·
No question those guys build a quality product. They are sort of like Amsoil though, you have to buy your filters from them. I'd also be a bit concerned about the 80 psi oil pressure limit. Cummins have been known to spike up to 100 psi some times. I notice they rate their filter life at 200 hrs. Be hard to translate that into miles. I guess it would be around 10-15 thousand. I'll be on the lookout for you one.

#29 ·
I got a good deal on a used cummins remote oil filter plate, paid $150 for it. The rest of the oil filter setup, well, not as cheap lol. Here's a couple pics of my oil filter setup.

-10 Braided hoses to a Donaldson P169310 bypass filter head assembly and a 5 micron absolute Donaldson P165332 Oil filter.

#34 ·
What size fittings does it take to screw into the plate? I just got mine and a 1/2" pipe fitting seems too small as it doesn't get tight. What did you use?

#30 ·
Additional part #s
#7 3929792. Gasket, filterhead
#11 4932124. Gasket, oilcooler core

#31 ·
Howdy All --- Pardon a diesel newbie...but I'm looking for a little clarification. I was gifted a Cummins remote adapter plate (thanks!) and it turns out I'll need it. Picked up the gaskets but still don't have a handle on the "in & out" issue mentioned above. Are you saying that what is marked "IN" on the plate is actually for oil coming out of the motor and "IN" to the filter?

Also don't know what the third, smaller hole located above and between the in & out is for. In the pix above it appears to feed something and looks to split into two lines (?). Turbo???...???

Like I said...diesel newbie. Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

#32 ·
That picture is of my setup for my Dakota. The front port is out and goes to the oil filter. The rear port is in and comes from the oil filter. Out is oil out and In is oil back into the engine. The small hole I am using to feed my turbos. It splits because I have two turbo chargers. You can use it feed a turbo and also a pressure gauge if you wanted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.