4BT Engine Quiet Kit
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4BT Engine Quiet Kit

Thanks

Default 4BT Engine Quiet Kit

I just wanted to start a thread on sound deadening blankets Iíll be getting for my truck in the next few months. I just arrived to RC South, Afghanistan so Unorthodox Customs in Puyallup Washington will be doing the work.

A few weeks ago I was searching for something I can mount underneath my hood to help quiet my engine a little. I came across Advanced Thermal Products http://www.atpwrap.com/ APT currently has a quiet kit for the Cummins 6.7 http://www.atpwrap.com/html/dodge67cummins2009.html as well as the ISB 5.9 the kits consist of blankets that attach under the hood, valve cover, oil pan, exhaust manifold and turbo. I donít know the dB reduction.

Anyways they currently donít have anything for the 4BT so in Dec, unorthodox customs will remove my oil pan, valve cover, turbo, down pipe, and center dump exhaust manifold and ship them to APT to build a custom setup for my Tacoma.

I know a lot of people will like there 4BTs a little quieter and hopefully this kit will dramatically reduce engine noise, my Tacoma is very poorly insulated. Because of this my Tacoma should demonstrate how well this kit works.

The kit is pricy but hopefully if the dB is reduced enough in my Tacoma, that it might build enough interest for 4BTSwaps to have a group buy for other members of the site. Just FYI I am not affiliated with this company, nor will I receive any kick backs from them. I just wanted to pass this information along and once the kit gets put on my Tacoma Iíll update this thread with pictures and if I can find them a dB meter ill get before and after dB rating.

Steed
    2002 Toyota Tacoma, 4BT W/p7100, 18* timing, 4K governor, 7x.10 injectors, stock delivery valves, HE351VE/HE341VE hybrid W/Banshee Controller, M122 Supercharger, Marine Bowl Pistons, Performance Cam, Getrag 360, NP205, Dana 60 Front, Dana 70 Rear w/ARB, Air Dog 2 100GPH, +40 HP overflow valve. About 8" suspension lift.

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

I'm interested in hearing how much of a difference this kit makes. Any chance we could get videos before and after from inside + outside the truck?
    Johnny C - KK4HAN - TLCA# 17825
    Olde North State Cruisers
    1987 4BTJMashup - MoonShine - 4BT/NV4500/D300/D60/14B and a bunch of other modifications. - DD
    Land Cruiser adventures, documented through YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal
    I'm an engineer, I find solutions that work and really hate marketing dribble.

Thanks

Hopefully it works out well. I'd be in for a group buy if it does.
    Last edited by boots4; 11-07-2012 at 01:36 PM.
    85 Landcruiser FJ60, 4BTA, 4L80E Optishift controller, 203 doubler to splitcase tcase, SOA, 38s, and more.

Family Haulin' FJ60

Thanks

If you can actually get a meter and measure the dB difference from the driver seat that would tell a lot.

1990 Ford F250 SCSB on RCLB frame, 4x4, ZF5, 7.3L IDI, 37s - D60 swap next
    1998 Ford F150 SCSB, 4x2, M5R2 - ex-4.2L, 4BD1T swap in progress

The difference between 65 and 75 MPH is 7 seconds per mile. Slow down and save fuel.

Thanks

I'm curious about the cost too. Not listed on their site. Wonder what the dollars/db will be

Thanks

Subscribed and interested.

Thanks

Subscribed!
    Jake
    '88 YJ Jeep Reswap
    '98 Dodge 4BT My 1st Swap
    Stuff for sale

Thanks

Would you need a pretty big radiator with that? I'd imagine a blanket like you described would trap heat. What about weight?

Thanks

Here is the price list the companyís president Tim Thompson sent me

4BT Quiet Kit:
    1 Center mount low mount turbo $325.00
    1 Valve Cover $150.00
    1 Oil Pan Cover $300.00

1 Down Pipe Cover $100
    Total: $775.00

like I said before its expensive, but right now the inside of my truck is so loud I have to blast my stereo to here and talking is pretty much out of the question unless you yell. Thatís mainly because I have very little insulation in my truck right now.

I donít know if heíll lower the price for a group buy, but most places would if you can get a nice hand full of people to get a big order.

After they get my parts theyíll be able to make a blanket for a HE351VE, center dump manifold, valve cover and the oil pan. My pan has been modified to clear my axle and a turbo drain was added, so if anyone has a modded pan like me youíll have to send them yours.
    2002 Toyota Tacoma, 4BT W/p7100, 18* timing, 4K governor, 7x.10 injectors, stock delivery valves, HE351VE/HE341VE hybrid W/Banshee Controller, M122 Supercharger, Marine Bowl Pistons, Performance Cam, Getrag 360, NP205, Dana 60 Front, Dana 70 Rear w/ARB, Air Dog 2 100GPH, +40 HP overflow valve. About 8" suspension lift.

Thanks

Videos and pictures are to easy, im not sure on the weight. as far as heat it will trap heat in but i dont know how much differnce its going to make.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

I wouldn't think heat would be an issue. 4bt's generally run on the cold side. Most guys complain about them not heating up.

Thanks

Ive heard that manifold, turbo, and downpipe blankets will noticeably lower egt's... Looks as if the heat normally put off by the exhaust side is routed away from the engine bay and might balance out the gained heat from the other engine covers. No personal experience but interested in trying something when I wrap my project up
    Jake
    '88 YJ Jeep Reswap
    '98 Dodge 4BT My 1st Swap
    Stuff for sale

Thanks

.. I was all worried about mine before I GOT it up an running .. Now 2 years later I never even notice it being loud .. Now I don't notice it being as loud as my 2000 dodge tr. If you can understand that I am used to my 2000 24 valve tr.
    ... I did not just step out of cheby gas tr. I've been in diesels truck for a while 91...93.. and now a 2000..and this farm 4BT FOR FUN MOSTLY ....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steed View Post
    Here is the price list the company’s president Tim Thompson sent me

4BT Quiet Kit:
    1 Center mount low mount turbo $325.00
    1 Valve Cover $150.00
    1 Oil Pan Cover $300.00

1 Down Pipe Cover $100
    Total: $775.00

like I said before its expensive, but right now the inside of my truck is so loud I have to blast my stereo to here and talking is pretty much out of the question unless you yell. That’s mainly because I have very little insulation in my truck right now.

I don’t know if he’ll lower the price for a group buy, but most places would if you can get a nice hand full of people to get a big order.

After they get my parts they’ll be able to make a blanket for a HE351VE, center dump manifold, valve cover and the oil pan. My pan has been modified to clear my axle and a turbo drain was added, so if anyone has a modded pan like me you’ll have to send them yours.
    While the prices seem high, if they have a significant dampening effect then it'll be worth it.

Looking forward to testing results!
    Johnny C - KK4HAN - TLCA# 17825
    Olde North State Cruisers
    1987 4BTJMashup - MoonShine - 4BT/NV4500/D300/D60/14B and a bunch of other modifications. - DD
    Land Cruiser adventures, documented through YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal
    I'm an engineer, I find solutions that work and really hate marketing dribble.

Thanks

any updates on this?

Thanks

Yup, I'd like to see before and after video with some good audio.

+ Reply to Thread