Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Show off ur motor mounts.

427K views 423 replies 181 participants last post by  boomersrule55 
#1 ·
Well, I'm sure this will be a very popular subject here so why not start a thread to give some ideas for fabbing or adapting motor mounts? I myself am interested in pics of adapting Fluid mounts to a 79 Dodge Ramcharger Crossmember... Though any pics/info about mating the mounts to any 80's Dodge/Ford/Chevy crossmembers would be greatly appreciated too! Thanks.

Michael

#2 · (Edited)
Here is a set of Bolt on GM mounts ..years 1990-1977 Blazer and Suburban, the old square style trucks IIRC that I passed on.. ( I was a dumb a**- New crate Motor, GM mounts, GM adapter and Flywheel etc) for $3k:frown: only if I could do that over again..

If I recall someone here in the west still makes this set for $299 I'll see if I can find the source.

Berg

#7 ·
To Skyhookdutch

How do the jeep motor mounts hold the weight of the 4B? I had thought about using them (in urethane) but at a slightly more upright angle because of the weight. No flame, just curious. With your MIG, are you using flux-core or gas? Mix or straight Argon?

#13 · (Edited)
Hello,
As Tacoma said, this is a M715 that I'm turning into a 6x6. That picture is fairly old. I have switched the 4BT in favor of a 6BT (the 4BT will be going into a lighter vehicle) and I'm in the process of building new motor mounts now.
I didn't have a crossmember under the 4BT, but I will make one for the heavier 6BT.
A couple of old pics... A big deal of this has been undone, specially the rear suspension(s), to mimic that of a duece and a half's. Just don't tell the guys at the M715zone :biggrin:

#11 · (Edited)
So far the mounts are working great, hardly any vibration really. The only thing noticable is when you shut the engine down. I have them at that angle as there isnt much room to work with. With the mounts built at that angle it works like a craddle. I like the design of Mikes mounts and almost went with something like that, but i would have a lot of metal hanging below the frame rail and i wanted to keep it to a mininum.

If you start up the cummins in a p30 you can get a bit of movement side to side on the mounts and vibration out of the engine. Running my frame mounts at a angle you can almost eliminate the side to side movement as the weight of the engine is pushing out and down on the engine mounts rather than straight down. I have another jeep with a 4bta in it that is in the midst of being built and i used almost the same design except for a solid 1 inch rubber mount between the frame mount and engine mount. I will try to get some pictures of them up this week.

As far as my mig setup it is solid wire with a mixed shield gas 75% argon, blah blah.... .But i still prefere my ranger 8 stick

#12 ·
Welding or Bolting?

Looks great guys! Got a question though, do you think it's better to weld your frame mounts to the frame, or do you think it's better to use grade 8 bolts and bolt them to the frame?

Also, it looks in those pics like there's no crossmember. What would you propose I try to duplicate using my '79 RC frame? Remove the crossmember and do the frame mounts, or fab something up to the crossmember? Thanks.

Michael

#16 ·
block mounts

Those are from a amc kit from advance adapters, I had a amc 401 in this jeep at one time and bought a weld in kit from a.a. and I hung on to them when I sold the 401 and just redrilled the holes to fit the 4bt block. I may duplicate them if I pull my jeep back apart, but they are very basic flat stock with three holes in them and 2 ears to bolt up the rubber mounts to. I think i paid 160.00 for the kit from a.a. and that included the frame mount, new rubber triangle mounts and the block mounts. But they would be very simple to duplicate!

#17 ·
I can't get jeep motor mounts to last under their stock app. of a 4.0L I-6 so I wont be using them.

For refrence motor mounts from a late 70's D300 with a 440 BB are the same as those for a 6/4BT the flat single studded mounts.

#18 ·
I agree they may not be the best designed isolators but when bolted down flat there is a lot of side to side movement in them, the way i built my mounts they are at a angle and the weight of the engine is pushing down and out instead of straight down and leaving lots of room for side to side movement for flopping around.

#23 ·
i agree

starting and running the engine there is little vibration....
it likes to shkae on the shut down.....
i don't know if this dose anything bad to the trans but i have a 700r4 and if i shut it down in reverse it greatly reduces the shake...
dose anyone have any input on this method?
john

#28 ·
Vehicle Engine Auto part Car Motor vehicle

I had a vibration when I let the clutch out so I went under the jeep to see if anything is loose. I found the transfer case bolts loose and i tightened them up. Now the jeep vibrates more in 4th gear. Can I use fluid mounts for the t case?

#29 ·
what type of trans mount do you have...
i have the stlye that came with the advanced adapters for the 300t case to the 700r4....
you get vibration, but no more than a small block chevy...i only get vibration on the shut down which i think i have figured out.
on the th400 the trans incorporates the pan to the bel housing...
i found a 4x4 cover for the bottom of the belhousing..its heavy aluminimum and had a flang tig welded on the bottom of the cover to utilize the holes on the 4bt to tie it all together...

#30 ·
the trans mount is 2 rubber mounts with a 3/8 plate on top. The transfer case sits on the plate. ill send pics tomorrow. How do i post pics like durango guy does?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.