Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Show off ur motor mounts.

427K views 423 replies 181 participants last post by  boomersrule55 
#1 ·
Well, I'm sure this will be a very popular subject here so why not start a thread to give some ideas for fabbing or adapting motor mounts? I myself am interested in pics of adapting Fluid mounts to a 79 Dodge Ramcharger Crossmember... Though any pics/info about mating the mounts to any 80's Dodge/Ford/Chevy crossmembers would be greatly appreciated too! Thanks.

Michael

#329 ·
When welding a gusset flat against the frame do you ever have to worry about rust forming in between?

Or I suppose it's not even a factor down south?

#333 ·
man I wish I would have found this thread when I was designing mine there are a ton of good ideas... im going to put a limiting strap on the drivers side mount and bolt it to the top and bottom of the stud sticking out so I don't rip my mount in half... here's some pics I cut these out on my plasma table here at LoCoFoMoCo Racing... these are in my 72 bronco

#341 ·
I'm re-doing my mounts because I changed from the TH400 over to a 47RH trans, and that swaps the starter to the other side, which interferes with the left mount. The Dodge frame has holes in 2 spots for the oem style Dodge motor mount, and I'm considering using them. The gas and Cummins mounts appear identical, but the Cummins mount is $10 more, so I emailed Anchor about it. Here's the reply;
I received your inquiry this afternoon and the rubber durometer of our 2469
is 60, which is typically a bit harder than most mounts run. More often you
will see 50 as the duro on a typical mount.

John Leonard

Anchor Industries
30775 Solon Industrial Pkwy.
Solon, Oh 44139
440-473-1414 x 439
http://www.anchor-online.com/
http://www.showmetheparts.com/anchor/

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 12:48 PM
To: jtlanchor@oh.rr.com
Subject: Cummins motor mount info.

Hi. I have installed a Cummins 4bta into a 1981 Dodge Ram 2wd automatic p/u,
mainly for fuel mileage. I am currently using the oem slant6 mounts but need
to upgrade and I am researching which motor mounts to use. The Dodge frame
has mounting holes for the Cummins 2710 style mount. The Cummins 4 cylinder
motor is known for it's vibration, so I am considering using the V-8 mount
2469 instead, assuming that the rubber is a bit softer to absorb vibration
better.
Your advice please. Thank you

Reactions: papastruck
#342 ·
... The gas and Cummins mounts appear identical, but the Cummins mount is $10 more...
And bigger in all dimensions, see picture. I ripped the rubber on a Dodge gas Anchor brand motor mount, part # 2469. I replaced them with Dodge diesel motor mounts, different brand (bought what was in stock). No problems in over 10,000 miles. Details are buried somewhere in my build thread.

Auto part Technology Electronic device

#343 ·
Some of the motor mounts in this thread give a whole new meaning to the term "wretched excess" :)

My mounts are minimalist in the extreme:

Bushings are urethane spring bushings. This would be unacceptable on a 4BT, but there is very little vibration with the 6. The sleeve around the bushing is 2" .250" wall DOM. The plates mounted to the engine are 1/4" cold rolled steel. The tube between the sleeve and the plate on the engine is 1.75" .120" wall 4130. A wedge of the tube is used as a gusset to spread the load on the plate. Everything is TIG welded. The mount design was dictated by the passenger side, where the drain for the low mount turbo needed to clear the motor mount. It barely does clear, as you can see in the first two pics.

#345 ·
Finished! Not pretty, but they'll do. Have not started motor yet, so I don't know about vib dampening. Working on trans mount.

Auto part Motor vehicle Fuel line Engine Vehicle
Auto part Engine Fuel line Automotive engine part

Reactions: RichandLuke
#346 ·
Since one of mentioned your putting a 4BT INTO A early Bronco .. Mine is a 1972 .. Your's are kind of close to what I built and I too use a 91 Dodge truck mount.
.. Now a few weeks ago I was down in the hill country and BC'S Broncos .com had a set he is building and selling he also has the trans cross members .

#349 ·
So I'm working on some mounts for my 07 expedition. It would seem if I could put the engine on a slight angle I.e. front to back with the back being lower, this would help with clearance issues. It seems like the trans tunnel has some taper to it which is causing the m5r2 to not have the clearance it needs to be comfortable. If I can put it at slight, like drop the rear of motor down 1-1.5" this would help things out. Its hard to tell flipping through these pics so I thought I'd ask. Thanks

#350 · (Edited)
Your engine is supposed to be at or near the same angle as your pinion shaft on the rear end. I got my shaft angle with the drive shaft removed then used magnetic angle gauges from Harbor Freight to get the angle then set the engine at the same angle. This is my build thread, http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?27534-4bt-transplant-into-93-F150 , and the first set of pictures shows the angle gauges if you want to see what they look like. I used an M5R2 also.

#353 ·
Here is the ones I built

Attachments

#354 ·
Many thanks to all the contributors here. I finally have my engine & tranny mounted into my little 1946 Chevy school bus. It was a tight fit, but it is now bolted down.

Sets back a couple of feet from the original to squeeze into this narrow frame.

Could almost qualify as a "Mid-Engine" rig. A new firewall and doghouse are on the way.

Frame side mounts are fabbed from 1/4' plate (same as the engine side).

Started off with some custom 4BT engine side mounts made for Jeeps and modified them for my use.

Once the engine was located, we built simple mounts for the Allison 2200MH.

Still tons to do, but my thanks to the folks here for sharing their expertise & experience.

Many more pix in my Flickr album...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tango88/with/15983298783/

#356 ·
Howdy Sam --- If you have studied this thread, you will see that there are a wide range of theories and mounting possibilities. My engine came from a P30 and had flat/horizontal fluid mounts like you describe but after studying the the different options here, I decided to go with 45 degree solid mounts because they appear to limit side to side motion a little better than flat or fluid mounts. This arrangement will also very likely transmit a little more vibration while running but given how tight this installation is, I opted to live with that in favor of bashing everything around the motor on startup & shutdown. There is good reason they call these 4BT's "Paintshakers".

Best bet is to study this entire thread and then develop a plan that best fits your particular situation and needs. The only "right way" is the one that works best for you. Hope some of this makes sense.

PS...one constant seems to be that positioning the mounting points above the centerline of the crank helps limit vibration, regardless of the angle or type of dampener.

#358 ·
Not entirely sure what you mean by "locator tabs". I just went with what the Anchor diagram showed. In this case, the top & bottom metal tabs that come together are positioned at the top of the 45* slope towards the outside of the frame rails. That puts the recessed pins front & rear of the bolts.

#359 ·
I think I see the difference now, I have a set of skinnier rectangular anchor mounts and a set of square ones, the skinnier ones i mocked up have pins on both top and bottom of the mount and have to be mounted vertically with the tabs positioned on the sides, I believe the square ones only have a pin on one side. I'll have to double check the boxes tomorrow and get the part numbers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.