Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Show off ur motor mounts.

427K views 423 replies 181 participants last post by  boomersrule55 
#1 ·
Well, I'm sure this will be a very popular subject here so why not start a thread to give some ideas for fabbing or adapting motor mounts? I myself am interested in pics of adapting Fluid mounts to a 79 Dodge Ramcharger Crossmember... Though any pics/info about mating the mounts to any 80's Dodge/Ford/Chevy crossmembers would be greatly appreciated too! Thanks.

Michael

#131 ·
Just a FYI...

The stock "non-fluid" bread van mounts are Anchor brand number 2469. They are only $6.20 each from Mill Supply! The stock first-gen Dodge Cummins mounts are about $20 from Napa and are about twice as large (too stiff, I am told)

http://www.rustrepair.com/APP2/onlinecat.htm?p=WI

Just type in "2469" in the parts look-up

Attachments

#134 · (Edited)
Well, now that I know the 2469 mount comes from anchor, I did a search.

Amazon.com has them for $7.97 with free shipping on orders over $25

Apparently (according to amazon) they are a stock dodge truck mount with gas engines. So I searched some more.....

Rock auto has them for $2.67 each!!!
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?catalog=28&partnum=2469&a=FR28-2469

Edit: Advance auto parts also has them for $7.99

#137 · (Edited)
I finally get to post in this thread and it feels good!!! I've been waiting until I finished them. All they need is paint. This 4bta is going in an '85 toyota FJ60 Landcruiser. It is mated to a 4L80e auto converted to manual control.

I made the motorside mounts from scratch following the design here in this thread. I decided on 1st gen 6bt drilled out motor mounts due to future replacement costs of the 4bt fluid mounts. Since there is a bunch of 6bts on the road I imagine they'll keep making these mounts for awhile. I also like the craddle design more than the original horizontal mounts. I wanted to keep the 8 degree tilt on the engine and keep the auto level so I incorporated that into the engine side mounts and kept the frame side mounts at 45 degrees. That means the driverside was 53 degrees and the passenger side was 37 degrees.

These pics are test fitting and the mounts have since been gusseted.

Driver

Passenger

#138 · (Edited)
Passenger right and driver left. You can see the gusset I put on the passenger to support that mid-bolt. I decided to go with just one mid-bolt mounting point to simplify the mount. I also gusseted the back side of the driver mount. Later I put gussets on both sides of the "box" that the actually motor mount attaches to.

#139 ·
I wheeled the engine into the bay and positioned it where I wanted it. I ended up reusing the old mounts that I cut off the frame. The angles were wrong but I changed that with some measuring and a cut-off wheel. Once lined up I pulled the engine and tacked the mounts on.

I put the engine back in to see where the studs on the mounts would hit so I could mark them and cut out a slot on the frame side mounts. You can see the additional gusseting on the motor side mounts.

driver

passenger

#140 ·
I cut out the slots so the engine could drop in. Also cut out some gussets and welded it all together. I angled the gussets down so water wouldn't have a place to collect and rust.

driver

passenger, the mounts studs are offset so that's why the slots ended up different on each side. The frame mounts are in the same spot on each side of the frame

#141 ·
Weight of the engine is on the mounts and the rubber has been drilled. The tranny is hung by a rachet strap wrapped around the frame (mock tranny mount).

driver

passenger, I will either cut off the bottom of the frame mount or wrap it underneath with some gussets.

This is my hood line.

#149 ·
87 V3500 Chevy with 6BT

Here are mine using chevy isolators.

Attachments

#151 ·
boots4
GERAT pictures of your mounts! Very good quality too. Thanks for posting the photos on this site as opposed to linking them to a photo hosting site. That way the pics will always be here in the future.

#157 · (Edited)
here is a link to my motor mount

I used some research imformation and used it as a reference when making the mount . The mount has the insulater placed above the crank centerline. I am not sure by how much . I suspect each engine would have its own sweet spot for creating minimal sweep.
http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/forums/showthread.php?p=52242#post52242
The photo is fraggin HUGE and very clear. Center of number 2 cylinder and i have not seen another design like this one. Lots of hours fabbing this one up. made from about 5 pieces of 1/4 plate.
One of these days i will pay off a suscription and be able to post photos.

take care

BAM

#158 ·
2003-2007 Dodge Cummins Common Rail Motor Mounts.

Heres some photos of the '03-'07 5.9L Cummins mounts, they are a different style than before, they look to be a better design compaired to the previous generation Dodge Ram mounts.

Attachments

#161 ·
Dumb question whats witht eh 53 and 37 degree angle differece on the moutn ion the top of the page. Also I am looking at my industrial catalog for hevay equipemtn and gonna find something that will hold this engine and easy to obtain will post a picture when I can get a chance to scan them..

#162 ·
Many of these mounts are designed for a 45* angle installation. Since the GM setup with automatic transmissions have an 8* motor tilt the mounts need to have +8* or -8* built into them. This gives the mount a 53* angle on one side and a 37* angle on the other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.