Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

GM nv4500 vs Dodge NV4500

46K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Lowegt 
#1 ·
What is the difference between the GM NV4500 and the dodge nv4500? I'm starting to think that the NV4500 will be a better choice since its over drive is .73 instead of the .76 that the ZF5 has. But when I was reading about it seems those were GM only and were made for only a few years with the .73 5th gear. I like that lower gear cause it looks like I can do 70 without breaking over 2000 rpm..it's around 1965 rpm with stock 30" tires. But the kicker is the adapter plate I need to hook the tranny to the 6bt to the transfer case which I believe is a BW1356 is a dodge only adapter plate. Yes that is one from Adavnce Adapters. The dodge NV4500 came with .76 5th gear and either a 6.34 or 5.61 1st gear.

Also what is a good cure for the 5th not dropping. I've read horror stories of people welding 5th and the welds just break. One remedy I heard was getting a different main shaft and it holds it on better. Another was getting one with reversed threads so the nut tightens instead of it loosening up and e gear drops.

1994 F250 Cummins second generation 12v P7100 BW1356 t-case NV4500. I decided on the nv4500 over the zf5 so I ca cut the price of not having to buy the adapter plate...since the nv4500 is a direct bolt on.

#2 ·
The dodge NV4500 came with .76 5th gear and either a 6.34 or 5.61 1st gear.
Incorrect as per Advance Adapters Booklet #1 NV012 -"New Venture 4500 & 3550 installation manual" Reference page 5 on "Dodge 4WD NV4500 (1993-1998)"
"The gear ratios of ALL of the Dodge version NV4500s remained the same, which is a 1st gear of 5.61:1; 2nd......"
This year range includes the gasser version Dodge used with it 1-1/8"x10 spline or the 1"x19 spline inputs.

It's a shame that AA quit selling that booklet whenever they ran out of brand new zero miles NV4500's for sale.

#4 ·
Wikipedia and others show slightly different numbers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Venture_Gear_4500_transmission

All the transmissions had the same OD ration of 0.73:1. It was the first/reverse that was different on the early Chevy NV4500s. First and reverse were also not synchronized on those trannies.

The early GM trannies (MT8) had a different bolt pattern than the later versions which used the same pattern as Dodge.

As for the 5th gear nut issue, there is a TON of information on it all over the web, Google it and you'll be reading till the internet dies, though from what I've read it's really only a big problem if you do lots of towing or work at close to the transmission's limits.

As "popular" as this transmission is though remember that it's getting quite long in the tooth now and parts aren't getting easier to find.

#6 ·
Since I would need to buy a bellhousing from a GM NV4500 is there one that is for a Cummins 6BT or would I need to have it custom built? Like the ZF5 is there a gas NV4500 and diesel one or are they both the same?

Is there a difference in bellhousings from the 1989-1993 and 1994-1998 or they all the same?

Is there a particular year of NV4500 I should look for?

#7 ·
Check the links. There were two versions. The MT8 that ran till 94/95 had the lower first ratio and different bolt pattern. The stock GM bell housing will bolt up to the Cummins GM adapter and work with the Cummins GM flywheel. However this setup is rare and expensive.

The later GM NV4500s were essentially the same as Dodge for case bolting and gear ratios but they had a different GM specific input and output shafts and won't work with the earlier Cummins GM hardware. Advanced adapters may have something there but I don't know. Most people go with the Dodge stuff because it's more common, hence cheaper, and all the Dodge Cummins stuff bolts to the 4BT. However there were two different version of the Dodge NV4500 a regular and HD version with different input shafts.

If you search the threads here there are a ton of frankenstien combos with people swapping input and output shafts to adapt as needed, but that's a whole different animal.

#8 ·
There is an aftermarket mainshaft and gear where the gear get full splines to the shaft and must be pressed on. This is what I do to solve the 5th issue. Your best bet is to simply get one from a dodge and bolt it up using all dodge stuff. If your wanting a t-case it depends on rt or lt hand drop as to how well it'll work.

If you want a lh drop then Dodge stuff all the way. If you want a Rh drop then the best way I can think of is to use a GM mainshaft and rear case extension with a GM np205 round pattern 32 spline input. Bolt and go.

#9 · (Edited)
Rather just stick with one tranny and not mix match parts...it'll get too expensive later on if I needed to rebuild it.

I'll probably take whatever I can off a donor truck then to make it cheap.

#10 ·
At this point it's almost pointless to go with the NV4500 since they haven't been in production in several years and no one is making parts for them. My other option is the ford ZF5-42 but finding one in diesel and 4x4 is very difficult. Are there ANY good quality 5speed transmissions which can handle the torque of a Cummins with a diesel ratios that'll work great behind?

I hate to go with an automatic since I've driven one far too long. A 5speed or 6speed automatic is far too expensive plus you don't get the true control in my opinion.

#11 ·
i dont know who told you that there arent any parts---A1 transmission in denver always has the parts---maybe you cant buy a new case but all the shafts and gears and 4 systems of fixing the 5th gear nut is out there----it is cheaper to stay all dodge when you get into it--- if you go chevy you have to source the flywheel,flywheel/starter plate-starter and the bellhousing (then the clutch is smaller )---if you go ford you have to source the flywheel,flywheel starter plate-starter and use a gas ZF transmission(and the clutch is smaller)----if you go all dodge you have more options of performance clutches too... ..bob

#12 ·
Thanks. I was on Quad 4x4 they said there was a shortage of parts. Ford requires a 6.0 starter fitting that up may prove to be difficult. If I do get a dodge donor truck with the nv4500 will all those parts transfer over to my project truck?

#13 ·
There are parts for nv's a plenty. You have to look. Lots of build kits. If its setup right and not serious power it will last a long time. You have to get major hp to tear them up. Fifth is weak point tiny gear but using your head ( some dont) it will be fine. The nv has larger clutch than zf's. They are getting spendy with bells going for 3-500 but anything in demand will command higher prices. I have a guy who does nothing but nv's and has good prices. I got whole setup rebuilt nv aa adapter nv to ford 205 machined adapter bell fork new southbend clutch and hydraulics with 36,000 mile warranty for 3300. I could have pieced it together for maybe a couple of grand but it would have required work so whats the point. Nothing about these swaps is cheap except some of the guys wanting it for nothing or less. I have enjoyed over 40 k on it and its still going..QUOTE=Lowegt;225313]At this point it's almost pointless to go with the NV4500 since they haven't been in production in several years and no one is making parts for them. My other option is the ford ZF5-42 but finding one in diesel and 4x4 is very difficult. Are there ANY good quality 5speed transmissions which can handle the torque of a Cummins with a diesel ratios that'll work great behind?

I hate to go with an automatic since I've driven one far too long. A 5speed or 6speed automatic is far too expensive plus you don't get the true control in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

#14 ·
Warranties are always a plus. I know these are a money hole...all vehicles are. Common sense is not so common anymore...being safe on a potential weak link is what I will do.

#17 ·
Well since I'M AN OLD DODGE GUY. I too say there is nothing better than the NV4500 Strongest trans out there . And the NV4500 5th gear nut .. Who cares fix it once and your done. I like to say here on this forum We only do this for fun. And I do always get scalded by the guy who says he put 150k a year on his 65 Ford pulling a 45 ft flat bed trailer. Well He is the exception for sure ... Most of us only put 10 grand on ours at most. I PUT OVER 300 MILES ON MINE LAST YEAR ..... So 5TH Gear would never be a problem for me again...

#18 ·
Yeah my plan is to get it taken care of right away once I get it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.