Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

6BT bellhousing bolt pattern?

34K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  prozach007 
#1 ·
ok, this might be a dumb question but I'll ask anyways... what is the back of the block bolt pattern match with? Ive heard from some its a chevy pattern and others swear its a ford smallblock pattern. the one I have is a 89 dodge with a NV4500 combo. thinking of droping it in my chevy camper van 4x4 project and was wondering if it would bolt up to a NV4500 and HD transfercase from a 94 chevrolet truck. anyone know? thanks for your help.

#2 ·
Pattern

the back of the Cummins block is designed to fit many different adapters......Ford, GM, Dodge, several Sae sizes and some odd Ag applications, I'm sure if you are looking to put a GM tranny behind it, that someone on this site has one for sale. Steve

#3 ·
The actual rear accessory mounting pattern on the rear of the B Series engine block is actually shaped more in the pattern form of an incandescent light bulb with the threaded end of the bulb up. This engine block mounting pattern accepts what we frequently call the engine adapter or flywheel housing adapter. This adapter functions as Mallo986 describes above.

#4 ·
4BT & 6BT adapters are interchangeable. Dodge, Ford, Chevy and other bellhousing bolt patterns were used on the 'back side' of adapters.

Where a NV4500 was used one can use either a GM or Dodge bellhousing as both used NV4500's. Input shaft diameter/length to flywheel clutch pilot is an issue to deal with, as is clutch diameter to fit bellhousing diameter.

By changing adapter plate and flywheel a wide variety of bellhousings can be adapted: Dodge, Ford or Chevy, by using appropriate Dodge, Ford, or Chevy adapter plate. The adapter plate adapts, just gotta know what you want to adapt to what. It's about that easy.

#5 ·
4bt in a Vintage chevy truck

Hello can any one help out here ..i got a 4bt it has a chevy adapter plate ..also have a dodge plate too ..i want to go 5 speed tranny ..but not sure what is best ..will a NV3550 hold up to a 4bt ? it will be 4 wheel drive with light plowing ...either a np 205 or i also have a dana 300 t case ..will the chevy flywheel work with the Dodge adaper plate ..because i have a getrag 5 speed i can use for the 27% overdrive just dont know what will mate up ..any help out there ??

#6 ·
Hello can any one help out here ..i got a 4bt it has a chevy adapter plate ..also have a dodge* plate too ..i want to go 5 speed tranny ..but not sure what is best ..will a NV3550 hold up to a 4bt ? it will be 4 wheel drive with light plowing ...either a np 205 or i also have a dana 300 t case ..will the chevy flywheel work with the Dodge adaper plate ..because i have a getrag 5 speed i can use for the 27% overdrive just dont know what will mate up ..any help out there ??
1. If you read above post ,Dodge ,Gm and ford are all different engine adapters.*You can't mix different engine adapters or flywheels or flex plates from Dodge ,Gm or ford .2. If you have a dodge getrag trans than you 'll need 1st gen 89-93 bell housing and engine block adapter and flywheel. 3.Nv3500 will work but as a light duty trans .

Scott

#7 · (Edited)
GM also used the NV4500 in the early 90's; super low first gear makes them hard to come by and more expensive. That may be able to work with your GM adapter plate and flywheel. In my opinion I wouldn't use the NV3550; it's rating is just above the peak tq rating of a stock 4BT. It may last for as long as you need it too but not worth the risk.

#8 ·
hii htis buck,, if u sendd me emaill,,, i will send u picss of both 4bt ex ups with chevy sm420 and bellhaousing for standard ford,, and pic of ford bell housing for world class t5 tranny,, aslso on ebay just now is good pic of 4bt with ford standard ablehousing, ebvay numbaer 120214599859 for pics use,i i have no inaterest in any sale of these enagines,, i just collecttt handy and useful pics for my and h others use,,, buck

#9 ·
I am putting a 6bt into my 94 C3500HD chevy. I am going to use an NV4500 out of a 92 with the super low 1st gear something like 6.21:1. Anyways I went to a wrecking yard the other day to pick up a bell housing from a dodge NV4500. The bolt holes on the chevy trans are not the same. The top 2 are wide enough, but the bottoms are not. Also the dodge bell housing holes are further apart from top to bottom than the chevy trans. I have a machinest who is telling me that he can make the dodge bellhousing fit. I also know that you have to change the input shaft. The dodge nv shaft is larger diameter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.