What came with the 4BT back in '95
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What came with the 4BT back in '95

Thanks

Default What came with the 4BT back in '95

Due to smog rules I've got to use in my case a '95 or newer but, I don't want to use later than '96 because it would have to be smoged every year. Therefore as I start the search for a donor, what vehicle(s) did the 4BT come in back in '95-'96?

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peter edmund View Post
    Due to smog rules I've got to use in my case a '95 or newer but, I don't want to use later than '96 because it would have to be smoged every year. Therefore as I start the search for a donor, what vehicle(s) did the 4BT come in back in '95-'96?
    PE, I ran in to the same problem here (Alaska) with emissions testing a swap several years ago, I ultimately resolved it by choosing an older swap recipient.

Best of luck.

Oh, if you want, the NPR Isuzu and W4xxx series of GM "Forward Control" cab over trucks came with the 4BD2-TC Isuzu for power, they even had an overdrive auto (that particular trans is much maligned, I believe with the engine properly producing power, an external trans cooler and filter a stock Jatco should last indefinitely with proper maintenance when loaded to anything less than he NPR's 14,500Lb gross weight rating).
    Erik
    Isuzu Nut
    Deviant that's keeping the NPR (with the engine).
    http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9646
    '94 4BD2-TC, HY35W (early) with 3" exhaust & exhaust brake, 'more power screw' maxed, defuel turned up, pump turned up internally by accident.

Thanks

... what vehicle(s) did the 4BT come in back in '95-'96?
    Step vans - Look for retired bread trucks, chip trucks and maybe a parcel delivery truck. Note that UPS scraps all their old trucks, consequently, the UPS motors are very scarce on the used parts market.

Make sure that the engine that you by has a legible EPA sticker that states that the engine meets the EPA on-road requirements for the specified year of manufacture.

EPA off-road engines from agricultural and construction equipment will not meet the requirement.

NOTES: The EPA on-road engines are not legal in light duty vehicles. There are more details somewhere on this site.
    1986 Ford F150 with 1952 Bell Telephone System service bed, 4BT, CPL 727 with 3,400 RPM governor spring, small aftercooler, AC, PS, Cruise, 1997 M5R2 5 speed overdrive transmission, Stock P215/75R15 tires, 2.75 rear axle ratio, approx 25 MPG average, Driven in 10 states in 2013, 2014 Diesel Confab - 22 states in 15 days
    http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...rtbed-with-4BT
    Still plays with trucks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Russ McLean View Post
    NOTES: The EPA on-road engines are not legal in light duty vehicles. There are more details somewhere on this site.
    Russ, excellent point!

I assumed (yes, ass you me, duh ) that the OP would be familiar with the "light duty" vs "medium duty" emissions regs, I should have asked.
    Erik
    Isuzu Nut
    Deviant that's keeping the NPR (with the engine).
    http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9646
    '94 4BD2-TC, HY35W (early) with 3" exhaust & exhaust brake, 'more power screw' maxed, defuel turned up, pump turned up internally by accident.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nexxussian View Post
    Russ, excellent point!

I assumed (yes, ass you me, duh ) that the OP would be familiar with the "light duty" vs "medium duty" emissions regs, I should have asked.
    I know what you mean - I forgot the Isuzu engines - probably a better choice, since the Cummins 4BT is now spendy.

Peter, consider an older Dodge or Ford diesel truck that is EPA and California smog approved. I would hate to have you get lots of time and $$$$ into the project and run into registration problems.

The "wise-ass" in me recommends moving out of CA.

Take a look at my build thread. This is a "relatively easy" swap. Well over a year and lots of $$$$ spent - and I'm not done yet.
    Last edited by Russ McLean; 04-14-2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: spelling
    1986 Ford F150 with 1952 Bell Telephone System service bed, 4BT, CPL 727 with 3,400 RPM governor spring, small aftercooler, AC, PS, Cruise, 1997 M5R2 5 speed overdrive transmission, Stock P215/75R15 tires, 2.75 rear axle ratio, approx 25 MPG average, Driven in 10 states in 2013, 2014 Diesel Confab - 22 states in 15 days
    http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...rtbed-with-4BT
    Still plays with trucks

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Trying to pinpoint a 4bt that was made between 95-96 may not be an easy task. If you find a possible engine run the serial # past Cummins and they can tell you all about it, date of manufacture, epa certification, etc. If it didn't have a serial # I'd pass on it. Every states rules seem to be different. Some have no regulations at all. Also the older the vehicle the more latitude you'd have in an engine search.

Thanks

My 95 build Ppump engine was in an Oshkosh built stepvan, I think the same chassis/sheet metal as the freightliner. FLH?

Judging by the layers of vinyl lettering on it, This truck was FedEx ground,then RPS(roadway) before it hit the auction block, where the fella I bought it from picked it up for about $1600.

While ups does have contracts with wrecking yards to destroy it's fleet vs resale, I have talked with a wrecker who would be more than happy to sell me an engine, axle, transmission.
    99 Durango 4BTAA P pump, Glowshift gauges, hx30w9 (today), 3K GSK, custom ground 100 plate, AFC tuned, 96 47RE +billet single disc TC)

My Build thread

New Registered User
    Thanks

So you possibly havbe a lead on multiple 4bt's?!!!

Thanks

My van was an 89 model year and the 4BT I pulled out of it was a 93 Recon. Find a 95-96 Recon tag and stick it on the 4BT of your choice.
    1994 Dodge Dakota Ext Cab 4x4. 4BTA 375hp and 720ft/lbs torque, 12.9 at 103mph 1/4.
    There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by khaoskustoms View Post
    My van was an 89 model year and the 4BT I pulled out of it was a 93 Recon. Find a 95-96 Recon tag and stick it on the 4BT of your choice.
    Intriguing.
    I have an aftercooled 4bt that still has the recon CPL /ESN tag on it.
    It may well be something worth hanging onto in the long run.

Now if I could just find some JWAC injection lines for the darned thing!

Mark.
    The election is over, the talking is done.
    My party lost, your party won.
    So let us be friends, let the arguments pass.
    I can pat my elephant, you can pat your ass.

We're on a rocket sled to societal failure and the pilot is a freaking madman in a straightjacket.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by khaoskustoms View Post
    Having a later year (1996) recon tag IS NOT the same as having a (1995) epa tag. (example)
    99 Durango 4BTAA P pump, Glowshift gauges, hx30w9 (today), 3K GSK, custom ground 100 plate, AFC tuned, 96 47RE +billet single disc TC)

My Build thread

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.