Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Twin Turbo Build for 5.9 Common Rail

29K views 87 replies 16 participants last post by  things 
#1 ·
I'm going to be putting twins on my girlfriends truck right away. Turbos are going to be a Borgwarner S300 with the 60mm compressor, 68mm turbine and .91 divided T4 non gated housing over an SX480, 80mm compressor and 96mm turbine, divided 1.32 T6 housing. Steed Speed T4 Manifold with a Turbonetics RG45 external wastegate. Her truck had a Industrial Injection Silver Bullet 66/74/14cm turbo with 120hp injectors, Colt Stage 2 cam and dual injection pumps. Going to up the injectors from 120's to 200's. I'll get some pics up as I go. I'm hoping for 800hp on fuel. Oh, it's a 2006 Dodge 2500 SLT with only 120,000kms on it. :)

#6 ·
I don't remember what truck you saw. Her truck has been in storage the last year and a half. It went on the backburner so I could finish my Dakota. Now that the Dakota is out of the picture for the summer, time to get her's done.

How much power are you shooting for ultimately?

How hot is the stage 2 cam, and what does it make the engine sound like?

What the heck is she going to do for a trans? :eek:
800hp on fuel at a cool 1200-1400 degrees egt. Stage 2 is basically just a re-grind of the exhaust lobes. It doesn't really change the sound too much. I've found that the turbo selection changes sound more then anything. The trans in it now is something I've put together with DTT parts. DTT valvebody and converter, red alto clutches and a billet input shaft. I'm prepared to put in a different trans if this one decides it doesn't like the power I'll be putting through it lol.

#8 ·
Do it, that would be super sweet.

#15 ·
60mm over 80mm? That's quite a bit bigger spread than I'm used to! In the dmax world its usually s366 over s483 or stock turbo (~61mm) over s475. Isn't the stock he351cw a 60mm turbo?

After seeing a billet output shaft break on a truck with considerably less power than you're planning on, I wouldn't put amy faith at all in a stock output shaft lasting more than a couple wot runs. I'm honestly surprised it didn't let go with the s366! But you're right, a good efi live tune makes a smarty look like child's play! Its amazing how good tuning wakes them up!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#16 ·
drat...I knew I forgot to look at something when I was there this afternoon.

looking forward to this build...try to hold up something to give scale to those turbo's...they are likely much bigger than we think.

#17 ·
So I finally got this project mostly finished. Turbos are mounted on the truck and I have gone for a test drive with it. All I can say is OMG!!! This truck spools so fast and pulls so strong! Can't wait to get some tuning done on it and really see what it is capable of.

#20 ·
Just curious if the girlfriend is an avid fellow hot rodder and speed junky or more of a passive observer?

#21 ·
Here's some pics of what I did for twins. Fairly simple setup using two box stock borgwarner turbos. A 60x68 .91 T4 S300 turbo as the secondary and a 80x96 1.32 T6 S400 turbo as the primary. Hot side piping is a little unconventional, and that is all I'm allowed to say about that for now. 5" downpipe into 5" magnaflow duals. 5" intake into an AFE air filter. Upgraded the injectors from DDP120's to Flux 4's which are rated at 200hp. Upgraded the CP3's with a 42% over II Dmax cp3 on top and the stock dodge pump on the bottom. Truck already has a mildly built engine with dual piston oil squirters and a colt stage 2 cam. I am currently writing my own EFI Live tune for it and so far its going well. Boost comes on at 1500rpm and makes 20psi by 1800rpm. I've seen total boost at 75psi with the primary makeing 40-45 psi of that. I still have more wastegate tuning to do and more EFI tuning. Tonight is going to be the first time I get to drive it home. Should be fun.

Attachments

#23 ·
Pretty tight under there, that had to take some work to make that all fit. Nice work.

#24 ·
The 480 fit pretty well in a close to stock 3rd gen location. Just had to grind the top of the engine mount a little to clear the compressor cover. Trimmed the batt box a little as well and the charge pipe fit nicely too.

#25 ·
Is that external wastegate to limit total boost or flow between turbos?

#26 ·
Mainly control flow between turbos. On diesel alone I shouldn't exceed the capabilities of the S480's turbine and housing flow.

#28 ·
That's cool, I can't even get my wife to drive, care that I supped up her jeep when I rebuilt it, or even wash it.

#29 ·
Kinda surprised NASA hasn't knocked on your door.. When you got time can you make me a transporter like on Star Trek?

Nice job!

#30 ·
Lol, Sure.

Starting to get the tuning dialed in. Trucks making 80psi boost with EGT's in the 1600 degree range at WOT. Right now I'm working on a max effort tune, once that is done I will dial it back and write multiple similar tunes with less and less power all controlled by a 5 position rotary switch. So tune 1 would be her lowest power, maybe even the "valet" tune, then the tunes would go up in power one click at a time. I also have water injection for this engine as well, but won't be using that untill I am happy with the final tunes.

#31 ·
Oops, looks like my 1600 degree egt tune only had 15 degrees of timing. Going to load my other timing map and give it a try.

#34 ·
It had a DTT valve body and upgraded everything except intermediate shaft and output shaft. Trans was holding 600hp real well with the old 66mm turbo. Ran multiple 12.80's with it as well.

#35 ·
Pulled the turbos all apart so I can get everything coated and painted. Found something interesting with the 60mm compressor wheel.

Auto part Tool accessory Machine Wheel Metal

Auto part Machine Wheel Turbine Rotor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.