Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

4BT specs

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JimmieD 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm considering a Cummins 4BT conversion on my 1997 Fairmont Ghia, at the moment I'm running an I6 gas engine with some work done to her. It is also 4L.

I'm curious if it would fit in my engine bay, its also about 100kg heavier than the optional 5L Windsor V8.

The heat shield is covering the exhaust manifold, is the 4BT engine the same side for the exhaust?

What would I be looking at for a good second hand 4BT engine?

Thanks much guys.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Welcome to here, Damo! Check out the threads in the Project Build section, one of the guys stuck a 4BT in a '74 Plymouth Satellite. There's also a '39 Chev hotrod build that has some good pics of engine naked in frame to give an idea of dimensions.

Main problem is height, 4BT is very tall. Don't know where you'd find one in Australia, but stateside the going price is at least $2,500 to $3,000 lately, but for 'deals' a guy runs into.

Specs:
Bore and Stroke 4.02 in. x 4.72 in.
Displacement 3.9 liter (239.3 c.i.)
Compression ratio 17.5:1
Rated Speed 2800 rpm
Peak Torque 1700 rpm
Dry weight (base engine) 570 lbs.
Horsepower 4BT 105 @ 2,800
Torque 4BT 305 ft lbs

Dimensions:
Model - Weight - Length - Width - Height
4BT - 705 lb - 30.1" - 24.9" - 36.9"
4BTA - 725 lb - 30.1" - 24.9" - 36.9"

Also you need a Cummins Adapter Plate to go between engine and bellhousing.

#5 ·
True, not counting Cummins adapter plate, flywheel, clutch assembly & hydraulics, bellhousing, transmission, fabricated motor mounts, aftercooler and maybe things like P/S, P/B or Hydroboost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.