Important 47RH modifications on a reasonable budget.
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Important 47RH modifications on a reasonable budget.

Thanks

Default Important 47RH modifications on a reasonable budget.

Okay, i'm finishing up my 4bt project and moving on to my 69 CC f350 with a 4x4 47RH and a 241 DHD. I want to build it right. I'm figuring for the money it would take to go to the 4r100 or 5r110 i can get the 47RH done right and save money.

If you've got experience with building up a 47Rh to make it stand up to towing it would be great for you to share that here. I will be towing camper/boat/ and occasional 15K gooseneck trailer.

I'm not going to be more that 250 HP and I plan to use one of Phil's super single disc torque convertors with a slightly lowered stall.
    He suggested a good valve body to get pressures up a bit.

Any recommendations on who to use/or what kit to use for a good VB rebuild?

As far as OD and LU i'm working on a stand alone controller apart from the PCM and pressure switches to control their function- i'll post up more soon on that!

I don't think i need a billet shaft or anything like that, but if you have suggestions on how to's or maybe even which kit to use, please post away.
    Lastly, many times you get what you pay for, but i don't want to overspend on something that doesn't have a good return!!!
    2003 F150 SuperCrew XLT; 120 HP VE Pumped (Denny T stage II Fuel Pin) 4bt intercooled; Fresh 47RH tranny with valve body modifications! Fueled by WVO! Daily Driver

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

In my opinion, the major weak link is the torque converter in a 47rh. Good aftermarket converters are 800-1200 bucks, I would recommend 12-1400 stall, I don't know what brand is better. Also a shift kit wouldn't hurt, they're about 300 where I've checked. Then the biggest cooler you can fit. After that it should do what you need and stay reasonably reliable.

Thanks

I wouldn't bother with any billet shafts with the 4bt unless you really want to shift WOT with the tc locked... IMO, you're on the right track with a tighter single and a better valve body with more line pressure.

Temp sending unit in the hot line to the trans cooler never hurt anything either
    Jake
    '88 YJ My Jeep
    '98 Dodge 4BT/47rh-Gone
    '98 s10 5.7 vortec/4l60e/4.10 DD

Thanks

Some good info and links in this thread:

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...d.php?t=152437
    Please, READ STICKIES at top of forum sections!

1967 Dodge Town Wagon now D-200+ - CPL 858 - HTT Stage II/H1C 16cm2 Ex/58mm Comp wheel, no W/G, turned fuel pin, twisted screws, 3,200 spring, milled head, '92-'93 CTD intercooler [THANKS BILL!!!] Dodge NV4500, 4.10 DANA 60HD rear, '72 Dodge D-200 front axle, 1 ton+ springs, Air-Lift front airbags, front/rear swaybars, Tom Wood's driveshaft, Hercules All Trac A/T in LT 245/75-16.

Thanks

Depends on how far you take it apart. I Always replace the OD bearings and plate. I love the TFOD-JR shift kit but transgo says go with the diesel kit.

If you want to go HD then strait cut gears in the OD. after that then you can start using 48re stuff but I wouldn't consider it nessesary.

Go low stall & billet on the converter. But remember that a 1800stall for a 6bt will stall at about 1600-1700 behind a 4bt. multi-disk isn't a big deal unless you plan on towing huge loads.

Remember they were designed to hold up to a 6bt.

The best thing you can do is to actually service it. drop the pan and adjust the bands every 30k or so.

If you want any parts at a better price PM me and I'll get you some pricing.
    1989 K1500 4BT, 47RH, NP241C with NP231D input. http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...ild&highlight=
    1993 C3500 Dually, Dana 60 Solid axle swap, 6BT, 47RH, 4.10's http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...na-60-6BT-Auto
    93 deere 430 3cly yanmar diesel
    98 1840 case skidsteer 4B cummins
    The rest of my toys use gasoline.

Thanks

Thanks Ryan I will pm you later.
    2003 F150 SuperCrew XLT; 120 HP VE Pumped (Denny T stage II Fuel Pin) 4bt intercooled; Fresh 47RH tranny with valve body modifications! Fueled by WVO! Daily Driver

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.