Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

My '68 Kaiser M715

90K views 124 replies 36 participants last post by  poolmike 
#1 · (Edited)
'68 Kaiser M715 Finally some progress!

Did some test fitting yesterday and made some very simple 3/8" angle iron mounts that I will need to gusset and clearance in some areas.

The truck has been treated to new floors and rockers, a rebuilt 6.2 Turbo diesel(which I haven't even started yet). Then I pushed it aside for a year+. I threw the 6.2 back on the engine stand this week in favor of my newly aquired 'Wonder' Bread engine.

Here is the chassis with the 6.2

Now with the Wonder engine. I Wonder if it has any compression. I Wonder how much blow-by it will have. I wonder if it will start at all.

See less See more
#58 ·
Andre: How come you never showed us the completed trailer? That thing is way cool. I especially like the slide out kitchen module. You could go for an extended trip with that trailer and take ALL of the creature comforts with you no problem. A/C for the tent ...No problem,,, Generator,,, No problem. Enough provisions for 2 months easy.

How do you like the ARB tent?

I would consider holding on to it for a while longer just in case you need to bug out when the revolution hits in a few months. I would be far nicer a bugout than sleeping in a car or on the ground.

Randy

#59 ·
Mike: This is exactly the type of trailer I was talking about. Your's would be OD Green.

Randy

#62 · (Edited)
No, but the engine got installed in a mid-80's short bed 4x4 Chevy. It runs it's tail off for a N/A 6.2 We used an intake manifold off a 6.5 N/A 1 ton van. It is really tall, sort of like a big block Dominator intake. The thing revs like a small block.

I'm pulling the 4BT and swapping in a 12 valve/ Allison 2000 this summer

Here are some snow pics of the truck.

#65 ·
Actually, I am plenty happy with the 4bt for general work purposes, but the NV4500 has too much of a difference between gears. An automatic would do the trick, however I got the 5.9, so I will hunt down an Allison 2000 and have more than enough grunt for anything I want to do. The 4bt will get a 4L80 behind it and find it's way into a Waggy for my wife, or possibly the '65 Power Wagon up the road from me if I can steal it from the guy.

#68 · (Edited)
Yes Mike: Very cool picture. We don't get snow like that out here. or even close. I drove thru Victorville coming home from the SHOT Show in Vegas 3 weeks ago and there was 2 feet of snow on the ground. but it was 41 degrees so it was melting fast.

I think the 12VV, and Allison would be a great motor/drive train for your 715. Those are big trucks and they are as big or bigger than a Dodge 3/4Ton pickup so as long as the engine bay will swallow it, I say great!

I think the install will be relatively easy, since you already have the 4BT inthere. Only thing I'm not sure about is whether the front drive shaft will clear the Allison on the right side. Most of the 4wd Allison applications are drivers side drop, aren't they? if it won't then you'll have to come up with a left side front axle. I would recommend a Ford Application one as the Dodge D60 axles have weird hubs and knuckles and are difficult to fit releasing hubs to. They don't have freewheeling hubs from the factory, and constantly turning the front end with a locker will kill any fuel mileage hopes for good.. The Fords have more conventional hardware and Warn makes hubs for them, I have them on mine. Milemarker makes hubs for the Dodge application but they are kind of Cockamamie Contraptions. Once you see the Dodge front knuckles apart you'll see what I'm talking about. It's real obvious, as they are completely different from every other application.

Still I like the idea to change to the bigger drive train. It would make the truck a much more usuable tow vehicle. Also with 1200 lbs on the front axle it will climb like a goat.

Randy.

#70 ·
Well, it has a divorced NP205 transfer case, so the pass. side pumpkin won't be an issue. I can change the mount to drop the driveshaft to whatever height is required to clear the Allison.

you try a 3200 spring? or adjusting the pump any?

i felt the same on the nv4500....
I started out with just the spring, then turned some screws. The motor is putting out just fine. I get into some situations where the engine is lugging, but one gear down and it is defueling at 3200. This motor mated to a 4L80 in a Wagoneer will be perfect for my wife to cruise in.(sitting on 35's and GM 1ton axles of course)

you going to intercool the 12v?
Probably. Haven't come up with a game plan for that yet.

#72 ·
Very sweet truck

#77 ·
This one might be sold.
Well if the "might" falls through, I know my brother would at least like a crack at the rolling chassis. What about are you asking for it? PA might be a bit of a haul, but he's not scared of windshield time if the price is right. He's been on serious Kaiser withdrawal since he sold his last one.

#84 ·
That truck looks nice. I have to seriously think about an intercooler this time around. I was thinking of using one from a Sprinter, but if the factory Dodge unit works, I'll grab one of those. I'm going to my storage garage next week to get the engine. I'll bring it home and bolt all of the ancillaries on it, paint it and get ready for the swap.

#85 · (Edited)
Mike,
Unfortunately all I have is these two crappy photos, but a 1st gen dodge intercooler (along with a $130 Howe radiator available from Summit) fit very nicely.

The reason for the howe radiator is that the lower inlet in the stock radiator comes out right where the tensioner is in the 6BT. This involves moving the radiator support one hole outward. The driver's side inner fender needs to be massaged a bit too.

#86 ·
I have the Griffin rad, and I will modify that accordingly. I can't think of too many other obstacles that the 4bt didn't already create. The only difference is that I plan to run the engine straight up this time, and tilt the Chevy trans. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Can't wait to get moving on this, but I have several other projects to get moving on first.

#88 ·
I haven't seen a Dodge NV4500 for sale locally for quite a while, for a price that I can afford....I do have a Dodge trans adapter that came out of the '97 donor truck with the 47RE. I would need to pick up a flywheel and clutch. Money is very tight right now, so I was planning to have the Centerforce clutch/pressure plate that is currently in there overhauled. It has worked quite well and I have done some really stupid stuff with that set up for the last 4 years. We'll see. The whole project might get sent down the road if I find the right M818 soon.

#90 ·
Going to start this 4bt up one last time to troubleshoot the knock. Might be something simple, but probably not. Haven't had time to do anything with it for a few weeks, but I better get moving on it since I can't get it in my garage and the weather will be getting cold before long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.