My '68 Kaiser M715 - Page 3
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My '68 Kaiser M715

Thanks

mike, you never ran it with the 6.5?
    1942 wc-53
    4bt/4l80e/compushift/np241
    dana 60/14bolt 4.88 38.6"tires
    http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...highlight=Wc53

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

No, but the engine got installed in a mid-80's short bed 4x4 Chevy. It runs it's tail off for a N/A 6.2 We used an intake manifold off a 6.5 N/A 1 ton van. It is really tall, sort of like a big block Dominator intake. The thing revs like a small block.

I'm pulling the 4BT and swapping in a 12 valve/ Allison 2000 this summer

Here are some snow pics of the truck.

Last edited by poolmike; 02-12-2010 at 07:56 AM.

Thanks

what gears in the axles?

4bt too small for what you are doing?

edit: i see you now have 4.56? right? what were they before? i went 4.88 this time

what tranny?
    Last edited by mcinfantry; 02-12-2010 at 08:52 AM.
    1942 wc-53

Thanks

i think you will be happier with A 12V. the 4bt is too small for the gears you are trying to run
    1942 wc-53

Thanks

Actually, I am plenty happy with the 4bt for general work purposes, but the NV4500 has too much of a difference between gears. An automatic would do the trick, however I got the 5.9, so I will hunt down an Allison 2000 and have more than enough grunt for anything I want to do. The 4bt will get a 4L80 behind it and find it's way into a Waggy for my wife, or possibly the '65 Power Wagon up the road from me if I can steal it from the guy.

Thanks

you try a 3200 spring? or adjusting the pump any?

i felt the same on the nv4500....
    1942 wc-53

Thanks

Found my new screen saver! What a beautiful pic

Taking my toys and heading to another sandbox.

Thanks

Yes Mike: Very cool picture. We don't get snow like that out here. or even close. I drove thru Victorville coming home from the SHOT Show in Vegas 3 weeks ago and there was 2 feet of snow on the ground. but it was 41 degrees so it was melting fast.

I think the 12VV, and Allison would be a great motor/drive train for your 715. Those are big trucks and they are as big or bigger than a Dodge 3/4Ton pickup so as long as the engine bay will swallow it, I say great!

I think the install will be relatively easy, since you already have the 4BT inthere. Only thing I'm not sure about is whether the front drive shaft will clear the Allison on the right side. Most of the 4wd Allison applications are drivers side drop, aren't they? if it won't then you'll have to come up with a left side front axle. I would recommend a Ford Application one as the Dodge D60 axles have weird hubs and knuckles and are difficult to fit releasing hubs to. They don't have freewheeling hubs from the factory, and constantly turning the front end with a locker will kill any fuel mileage hopes for good.. The Fords have more conventional hardware and Warn makes hubs for them, I have them on mine. Milemarker makes hubs for the Dodge application but they are kind of Cockamamie Contraptions. Once you see the Dodge front knuckles apart you'll see what I'm talking about. It's real obvious, as they are completely different from every other application.

Still I like the idea to change to the bigger drive train. It would make the truck a much more usuable tow vehicle. Also with 1200 lbs on the front axle it will climb like a goat.

Randy.
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 02-12-2010 at 11:27 AM.
    DeScrambler: Built from scratch, 4BT,TH400, USGear OD, Atlas 4.3, HP D44/ 4.10 ARB, HP D60/4.10 ARB, 37" MTR's

It's not how well you do what you know how to do.

It's how well you do, what you don't know how to do.

Thanks

you going to intercool the 12v?
    1942 wc-53

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Yes Mike: Very cool picture. We don't get snow like that out here. or even close. I drove thru Victorville coming home from the SHOT Show in Vegas 3 weeks ago and there was 2 feet of snow on the ground. but it was 41 degrees so it was melting fast.

I think the 12VV, and Allison would be a great motor/drive train for your 715. Those are big trucks and they are as big or bigger than a Dodge 3/4Ton pickup so as long as the engine bay will swallow it, I say great!

I think the install will be relatively easy, since you already have the 4BT inthere. Only thing I'm not sure about is whether the front drive shaft will clear the Allison on the right side. Most of the 4wd Allison applications are drivers side drop, aren't they? if it won't then you'll have to come up with a left side front axle. I would recommend a Ford Application one as the Dodge D60 axles have weird hubs and knuckles and are difficult to fit releasing hubs to. They don't have freewheeling hubs from the factory, and constantly turning the front end with a locker will kill any fuel mileage hopes for good.. The Fords have more conventional hardware and Warn makes hubs for them, I have them on mine. Milemarker makes hubs for the Dodge application but they are kind of Cockamamie Contraptions. Once you see the Dodge front knuckles apart you'll see what I'm talking about. It's real obvious, as they are completely different from every other application.

Still I like the idea to change to the bigger drive train. It would make the truck a much more usuable tow vehicle. Also with 1200 lbs on the front axle it will climb like a goat.

Randy.
    Well, it has a divorced NP205 transfer case, so the pass. side pumpkin won't be an issue. I can change the mount to drop the driveshaft to whatever height is required to clear the Allison.

Quote Originally Posted by mcinfantry View Post
    you try a 3200 spring? or adjusting the pump any?

i felt the same on the nv4500....
    I started out with just the spring, then turned some screws. The motor is putting out just fine. I get into some situations where the engine is lugging, but one gear down and it is defueling at 3200. This motor mated to a 4L80 in a Wagoneer will be perfect for my wife to cruise in.(sitting on 35's and GM 1ton axles of course)

Quote Originally Posted by mcinfantry View Post
    you going to intercool the 12v?
    Probably. Haven't come up with a game plan for that yet.

Thanks

It was a good runner. 4 solid years of service, beating the snot out of it on a daily basis. The motor is a knockin'. Not bad for a free motor!

Thanks

Very sweet truck

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Very sweet truck
    Thanks! The weather has not been kind to it. and it has deteriorated a bit since most of these pics were taken. Time to sell it/part it out, and step up to something bigger.

Thanks

Nice truck. Always liked those trucks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lobie View Post
    Nice truck. Always liked those trucks.
    Thanks! This one might be sold. Had an interesting offer on the rolling body yesterday. I'll keep the engine/trans to rebuild for another project. We'll see if the guy comes up with the cash.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poolmike View Post
    Thanks! The weather has not been kind to it. and it has deteriorated a bit since most of these pics were taken. Time to sell it/part it out, and step up to something bigger.
    Say it aint so!
    1963 Jeep J300, 4BT/NV4500/NP200/D61/D71
    1969 Jeep M715 6x6 project, 6BTA/NV4500/NP205/D60/D70/D70

Thanks

This one might be sold.
    Well if the "might" falls through, I know my brother would at least like a crack at the rolling chassis. What about are you asking for it? PA might be a bit of a haul, but he's not scared of windshield time if the price is right. He's been on serious Kaiser withdrawal since he sold his last one.
    1995 Dodge Ram 2500 6BT Manual Tranny 4x4
    1980 Ford Bronco 4BT with Solid Axle Swap riding on 37" Swampers
    2000 VW Jetta TDI pulling 48-50 mpg

Thanks

HINT! Maybe this new discussion on the project sale needs to be taken over to the PM side? Thanks & appreciated! HINT HINT!!!
    BobS

NRA Life-Patron Member www.nra.org
    Armed people are called citizens. Unarmed people are called subjects.

90 Dodge W250 6BT Cummins 5 speed Getrag
    91 Dodge W250 6BTA Cummins NV-4500 conversion

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan P. View Post
    Well if the "might" falls through, I know my brother would at least like a crack at the rolling chassis. What about are you asking for it? PA might be a bit of a haul, but he's not scared of windshield time if the price is right. He's been on serious Kaiser withdrawal since he sold his last one.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobS View Post
    HINT! Maybe this new discussion on the project sale needs to be taken over to the PM side? Thanks & appreciated! HINT HINT!!!

If the deal falls through and I decided to send it down the road for sure, it will hit eBay or the "for sale" board here. Point taken Bob! sorry.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    Say it aint so!
    It ain't over yet.....I do have an extra 12 valve sitting here, but I am craving a bobbed M818 and my thoughts were leaning toward possibly selling the 715 for the needed funds. That was before the motor let go. The knocking engine is a game changer. The 12 valve would make this truck really move along. I have to do some soul searching before I do anything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poolmike View Post
    It ain't over yet.....I do have an extra 12 valve sitting here, but I am craving a bobbed M818 and my thoughts were leaning toward possibly selling the 715 for the needed funds. That was before the motor let go. The knocking engine is a game changer. The 12 valve would make this truck really move along. I have to do some soul searching before I do anything.
    We just put a 6BT in a friend's M715. Very easy swap, with no firewall cutting. PM if you want some photos.

How's the '47 Dodge coming along??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    We just put a 6BT in a friend's M715. Very easy swap, with no firewall cutting. PM if you want some photos.

How's the '47 Dodge coming along??
    Shoot me some pics if you get a chance. The '47 is at a stop right now. I need money. I am busy working but money just seems to disappear a lot faster these days. I hope to finish the '47 next year.

Thanks

Here are some pictures... Let me know if you want any details shot.

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22079
    http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/n...ion/?start=all

My friend is extremely pleased with the truck. Mileage is about 15, but with tons of power.

Thanks

That truck looks nice. I have to seriously think about an intercooler this time around. I was thinking of using one from a Sprinter, but if the factory Dodge unit works, I'll grab one of those. I'm going to my storage garage next week to get the engine. I'll bring it home and bolt all of the ancillaries on it, paint it and get ready for the swap.

Thanks

Mike,
    Unfortunately all I have is these two crappy photos, but a 1st gen dodge intercooler (along with a $130 Howe radiator available from Summit) fit very nicely.

The reason for the howe radiator is that the lower inlet in the stock radiator comes out right where the tensioner is in the 6BT. This involves moving the radiator support one hole outward. The driver's side inner fender needs to be massaged a bit too.
    Last edited by Mikel; 07-04-2012 at 04:46 AM.

Thanks

I have the Griffin rad, and I will modify that accordingly. I can't think of too many other obstacles that the 4bt didn't already create. The only difference is that I plan to run the engine straight up this time, and tilt the Chevy trans. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Can't wait to get moving on this, but I have several other projects to get moving on first.

Thanks

You may want to sell the chevy parts and go with Dodge stuff. I think you get a larger clutch and can pocket some money.

Thanks

I haven't seen a Dodge NV4500 for sale locally for quite a while, for a price that I can afford....I do have a Dodge trans adapter that came out of the '97 donor truck with the 47RE. I would need to pick up a flywheel and clutch. Money is very tight right now, so I was planning to have the Centerforce clutch/pressure plate that is currently in there overhauled. It has worked quite well and I have done some really stupid stuff with that set up for the last 4 years. We'll see. The whole project might get sent down the road if I find the right M818 soon.

Thanks

well, it looks like the swap is on. Time to pick up the engine out of storage and go over it with some new seals and shtuff. I'll probably look for some fresh injectors and maybe a better turbo setup. I really need a bigger garage!

Thanks

Going to start this 4bt up one last time to troubleshoot the knock. Might be something simple, but probably not. Haven't had time to do anything with it for a few weeks, but I better get moving on it since I can't get it in my garage and the weather will be getting cold before long.

+ Reply to Thread