TH-400 or TH-475?
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TH-400 or TH-475?

Thanks

Default TH-400 or TH-475?

I just picked up a good auto tranny for my conversion, I assumed it was a th-475 since it was out of a P-30 equiped with a 4bt. It has an INLAND PARTS CO. tag on it that reads BOP 400 KD, so which trans do I have?
    I did get lucky in the fact that my NP-205 will bolt right up without changing outputs.
    1972 Chevy K-30 Extendid Cab Dually
    4" Lift 4.10 gears, 400-Th-400 & NP-205 with Divorced Auxillary Trans. Crossover steering, Boxed Frame. 19.5 American Alloy wheels with Cooper C-140 Traction tires.

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

as far as I know it should be the 475? does it still have the deep cast pan? not sure of any other ways of finding out other then tearing it down? also does anyone know if a later NP241 T-case will bolt right on the back of a 2wd TH400/475?

Thanks

the th475 has some straightcut gears in it, other than that its the same thing. just a little heavier duty for motorhomes, p30's.
    the 241 will work as long as its a 32 spline, but you might have to make a custom spacer to make up the distance for the longer output shaft.
    88 Chevy Airforce crewcab. 6bt NV4500 valair clutch, modified 4k GSK
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
    72 Scout d60/14blt, 4bta
    http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...72-Scout-Build

Thanks

spacer is ok I can make a clocking ring out of that im running my TH475 at the 10* tilt rather the engine so I need t oget the t case back up t oat least stock specs if not up a lil higher and the 241 I have was behinf a TH400 so it should have the 31 spline

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by K204DR View Post
    the th475 has some straightcut gears in it, other than that its the same thing. ...
    Also, gear ratio in 1st is slightly higher numerically in 475 vs the 400, well atleast in some of them. TH475 is apparent from the sound of the straight cut 1st gear(just like the whine in reverse) though this may be masked by the noise of the engine. I've driven many miles in a '55 Chieftain with a TH475 behind a 455 Poncho.

Ken

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chevyholic View Post
    I just picked up a good auto tranny for my conversion, I assumed it was a th-475 since it was out of a P-30 equiped with a 4bt. It has an INLAND PARTS CO. tag on it that reads BOP 400 KD, so which trans do I have?
    I did get lucky in the fact that my NP-205 will bolt right up without changing outputs.
    Should have a bolt on rear yoke and will need output shaft changed and will need the adapter for the 205 to bolt up.

Scott

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrewCab59 View Post
    Should have a bolt on rear yoke and will need output shaft changed and will need the adapter for the 205 to bolt up.

Scott
    Correct it had the bolt on yoke but I wont have to change outputs, removed the yoke and snout and my NP-205 bolts right up. My transfer case was already out of a th-400 equipped 1 ton and uses the same long output shaft that was used in 2 wheel drives.
    1972 Chevy K-30 Extendid Cab Dually
    4" Lift 4.10 gears, 400-Th-400 & NP-205 with Divorced Auxillary Trans. Crossover steering, Boxed Frame. 19.5 American Alloy wheels with Cooper C-140 Traction tires.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.