Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Isuzu 4JG2

57K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  agustinemilio82rodri 
#1 ·
Anybody got any information on this engine? From what I gathered it looks like the roughly 3L four cylinder turbo diesel used in the mid '90's Isuzu Trooper (non-US). There is not much info out there on them. I 'm wondering if anyone has any idea about how much power they make, if it is a good reliable engine, and what sort of mileage was achievable while in the trooper. It does look like it has a timing belt, not chain.

They seem to be fairly available on Ebay, and seem to be pretty reasonable. Love to know if anyone has any experience with one.

#2 ·
This engine is very popular over here in the Isuzu bighorn (trooper), Mu (SWB rodeo) and Wizard (LWB Rodeo).

Generally a very solid and reliable engine, but uses more fuel than the 2.8L 4JB1T due to indirect injection.
It's quiet and smooth, the only problems are some of them carboning up and scouring the #3 cylinder.
A mate and I have come up with a possible cause for that, the EGR pipe exits into the intake manifold right near #3, our theory is EGR malfunction dumping hot exhaust into the cylinder under full power conditions causing overheating only on #3.
Being one of the earliest diesel engines to have EGR, it doesn't feature a water cooler on the EGR pipe as all modern engines do.

The problem seems most prevalent in auto vehicles (auto drivers often just keep the foot down, manual drivers are more inclined to change down).

I'm currently shopping for a work vehicle with this engine, my intention is to disable the EGR if the previous owner hasn't already.

Power is between 110-130hp depending on the model. Some specs here:
http://specs.amayama.com/specs-isuzu-bighorn-1993-october/13579/

#27 ·
This engine is very popular over here in the Isuzu bighorn (trooper), Mu (SWB rodeo) and Wizard (LWB Rodeo).

Generally a very solid and reliable engine, but uses more fuel than the 2.8L 4JB1T due to indirect injection.
It's quiet and smooth, the only problems are some of them carboning up and scouring the #3 cylinder.
A mate and I have come up with a possible cause for that, the EGR pipe exits into the intake manifold right near #3, our theory is EGR malfunction dumping hot exhaust into the cylinder under full power conditions causing overheating only on #3.
Being one of the earliest diesel engines to have EGR, it doesn't feature a water cooler on the EGR pipe as all modern engines do.

The problem seems most prevalent in auto vehicles (auto drivers often just keep the foot down, manual drivers are more inclined to change down).

I'm currently shopping for a work vehicle with this engine, my intention is to disable the EGR if the previous owner hasn't already.

Power is between 110-130hp depending on the model. Some specs here:
http://specs.amayama.com/specs-isuzu-bighorn-1993-october/13579/
do not block it off, use a catch can to collect oil vapor, and reroute the air minus the oil back to the engine

#3 ·
more questions

Is this motor similar to the 4BD1 in construction? In other words can you rebuild it as easy with cylinder sleeves, or do you have to have it bored over adding more a$$ pain to a rebuild?

How good/reliable is the 4x4 trans and x-fer case that comes with them? I was thinking this might be a good swap into and explorer/s-10 blazer/cherokee without having to figure out a tranny converter plate. Of course there would be other issues (clutch, cutting holes in floor, ect).

Is this a viable motor, or is there a better match? I don't need a powerhouse like the 4BD1, it will not be used for towing, I have a 3/4t truck for that; although, a 4BD1 might find it's way under it's hood in the future:D.

Thanks for any info.

#4 ·
Is this motor similar to the 4BD1 in construction? In other words can you rebuild it as easy with cylinder sleeves, or do you have to have it bored over adding more a$$ pain to a rebuild?

How good/reliable is the 4x4 trans and x-fer case that comes with them? I was thinking this might be a good swap into and explorer/s-10 blazer/cherokee without having to figure out a tranny converter plate. Of course there would be other issues (clutch, cutting holes in floor, ect).

Is this a viable motor, or is there a better match? I don't need a powerhouse like the 4BD1, it will not be used for towing, I have a 3/4t truck for that; although, a 4BD1 might find it's way under it's hood in the future:D.

Thanks for any info.
Yes they are a sleeved motor, but the sleeves in them are very thin apparantly and easy to damage if you mess up the install. The 4BD sleeves on the other hand are thick enough to survive some less than ideal installation methods.
The only complaints I have heard about the transmission is the 4 speed auto. I don't know exactly what gives trouble in them, but the $$ quoted for a friend to get his one fixed suggested about a days labour.

Certainly a viable motor. But you may want to fit a mechanical injection pump (it's a bosch VE type) to make your wiring easier.

#5 ·
Old thread reborn.I just bought a very nice 1979 IHC Scout II for my son.Very nice, but delivers 12 mpg.I have a pretty good supply of 4bd1's as well as a couple 6's, but as I start adding up adapters,tranny and t-case I've been wondering if one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Isuz...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

wouldn't be an easier, maybe cheaper option.Makes no mention in this case, but I have seen them mention non-e.c.u. before.I know it's not the powerhouse that the 4bd1 is, but the Scout only weighs about 3500 lbs and he won't be towing.

#7 ·
Could be a plan.
In stock form these engines have similar output to the 4BD1T. But the extra cubes of the 4BD1T allow for more potential silliness.

As for the ECU, I know it's possible to retrofit a mechanical injection pump, but the US might be a hard place to find one.

#12 ·
Guess you mean the 4JG2T (3.1)? The 4BG1T is the bigger 4BD1T and is already mechanical.
AFAIK the 4JB1T (2.8) pump should fit. As for wiring, it should be exactly the same setup as the VW or any other bosch VE type electronic pump. The electronic "tune up" boxes they sell fit almost any of those pumps regardless of engine.

#13 ·
Ecu for 4JG2

Hi All, I am also looking in to the 4JG2 3.1 TD engine, I am looking to use the engine in a Hybrid Land Rover.
I have managed to find an engine in good condition, but need an ECu either second hand/after market.
What do you guys know about it? What other options do I have (bosch / other make) of ECU

#14 ·
Hi All, I am also looking in to the 4JG2 3.1 TD engine, I am looking to use the engine in a Hybrid Land Rover.
I have managed to find an engine in good condition, but need an ECu either second hand/after market.
What do you guys know about it? What other options do I have (bosch / other make) of ECU
You can replace the injection pump with a mechanical version. That solves the ECU issue.
Early 4JG2, all 4JB1T and some 4JH1 engines are mechanical injection.

#19 ·
Hi There ,

Yes I have this type of Motor in my Imported Isuzu Wizard which is built in Japan but comes from Japan via Botswana . The motor is good provided the Engine is OK .
I managed to get 255000 KM out of the engine before having to overhaul the Motor , but I must honestly say that 1 needs a Bloody Good Mechanic to work on the engine as NOT many South African Diesel Mac,s know much about this engine NOT even ISUZU SOUTH AFRICA .

If you know of a person who is good in South Africa with this type of Motor PLEASE forward me his details ASAP .

Terence Corns

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.